Another flagstick in or out study by Molinari's older brother.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Lol, the debate will rage on!

This one concludes the same thing as the study from the professor at Cal Poly, at medium speed, you will make more putts with the flagstick out. All of the slower putts went in either way. All of the medium speed putts went in with flag out or in if they hit center flagstick.

Here's the big difference, and we know from the Cal Poly study that great putters miss the center of the hole 72% of the time(most of us miss much more that that). On these off-center medium speed putts, 55% went in with the flagstick out while only 29% went in with the flagstick in.

It can help a small amount at ramming speed to have the flagstick in when you hit center flagstick. I personally only hit a few putts a year at ramming speed that finish 10+ feet past the hole, so I'll keep pulling the flagstick like I always have. The other thing that I've found really lacking about having the flagstick in is I don't get to hear that satisfying sound of the ball rattling in the bottom of the cup. IMO that is the best sound in golf.

To many of us, this study affirms with what we've observed on the course over many years of playing golf, to others, it is not so obvious.:act-up:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ed...k-experiment-and-the-results-may-surprise-you

That sound is satisfying

The other thing that I've found really lacking about having the flagstick in is I don't get to hear that satisfying sound of the ball rattling in the bottom of the cup. IMO that is the best sound in golf.

[/url]

It's funny. I've been putting stick in all year, and I haven't missed that sound until this very moment. Now I want to hear it!

I played with my buddies in Atlanta this weekend and they all said they never pull it anymore so I played that way. Got home and played in my men's league and they all pulled the pin. Tonight I played in my Match Play Championship and my opponent pulled the pin every hole too. What do I do? I just do whatever everyone else does. I don't think I like the flag in on short putts because I feel like it messes with my eyes a bit, but as long as everyone is playing the same I don't care.

I played with my buddies in Atlanta this weekend and they all said they never pull it anymore so I played that way. Got home and played in my men's league and they all pulled the pin. Tonight I played in my Match Play Championship and my opponent pulled the pin every hole too. What do I do? I just do whatever everyone else does. I don't think I like the flag in on short putts because I feel like it messes with my eyes a bit, but as long as everyone is playing the same I don't care.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I usually leave it in but if others want it pulled it doesn't really matter to me.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I've gotten to the point where I simply dont care. Is there a distinctly better option? Possibly.

I just know if I'm playing solo the pin stays in since it's one less thing I need to mess with on the green. If I'm playing with a group, chances are it is coming out but again I really dont care.

I was taught a long time ago on short putts to not peek, just listen for the sound of the ball rattling in the bottom of the cup. I pull it for no other reason to hear that sound. :act-up:

Back