Another Shaft Selection Question

ketron10a

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to get a new hybrid (or gently used) and also looking for information for future purchases. Unsure of which shaft I should really be playing based on swing speed? Numbers indicate stiff shaft selection but is that always the case? Can you use R flex shafts with greater swing speeds? Are some R flex shafts actually stiffer than indicated? So many questions regarding shafts and selection etc.

Background info:
Swing - (with some trackman stats) I am a moderate-fast swinger...hit my 7 iron about 165ish or better with swing speed right around 90-93mph. Driver swing speed right around 102ish with 235-260y distance....

Previously played Burner 2.0 Irons with Stiff steel shafts (stock) and also R11 Driver with stock Fuji Blur 60 Stiff shaft- Couldn;t hit the driver worth a crap. Had issues with ti the entire time I owned it. Irons...eh...ok play but not as good as I would have liked....was always thinking the shafts were maybe too stiff?

Switched to Nike VRS Covert Tour driver with R Flex Kuro Kage Silver Tini 60 two years ago....much better with it. I honestly think I just liked the smaller 430cc head and shape but it seemed easier to get the club around....more "whippy" I guess?

I also this year switched to Nike Vapor Fly irons with True Temper ZT 85 R Flex steel shafts. Making better overall contact I feel and I gained a few yards distance, higher flight, and a steeper ball descent angle which has helped me hold some greens a little better. True Temper communicated with me the closest aftermarket option they have in case of breakage would be their XP95 shaft since I couldn't find anything regarding the stock Nike ZT shafts.

Going strictly by flex will usually end up far from perfect.
Two reasons for this.
1. Flexes are not the same company to company.
2. Shafts all have different profiles.

It is important to note that as a very basic rule, if you believe finding the right shaft is going to take your club to another level, I recommend testing some out at the very least.

It was just that it didn't seem right in my head that I would be playing better with shaft flexes that "aren't designed for my swing speed". I understand many people think shafts can make or break clubs. Does the swing shape also play a factor in which shafts would work better? I have what I believe to be a "steep" or "downward" swing so would the R flex actually be helping to get the clubhead in place better? I.E. Balancing out for my swing imperfection?

It was just that it didn't seem right in my head that I would be playing better with shaft flexes that "aren't designed for my swing speed". I understand many people think shafts can make or break clubs. Does the swing shape also play a factor in which shafts would work better? I have what I believe to be a "steep" or "downward" swing so would the R flex actually be helping to get the clubhead in place better? I.E. Balancing out for my swing imperfection?

So will transition and a number of other factors.
Others say choose based on feel.

Back