Any clone clubs in your bag (not counterfeit or knock offs)?

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
I have one - an Integra iDrive 7 hybrid. Money club for 150 yards in (for me) and bump and runs. How about you folks?

Not currently, but for years I played a set of Acer XP (sounds like a computer) clones of Callaway X-18s. I also had a Pine Meadow clone of a Taylormade Rescue Mid hybrid that worked really well for me.

nope, not now and never have, at least not on purpose. i guess some of my first clubs could have been but i wouldn't have known better back then

Are all the putters that copied the original Ping Anser putter considered clones?

I do! Been proudly playing a Pine Meadow 54* wedge for over 10 years that was handed down to me. She’s been my best friend between 90-115 yards. I should probably look at upgrading my wedges but I’m having a hard time parting with old faithful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some when I first started, but nothing right now. I briefly looked at the Taylormade Truss, but decided against putting that clone in the bag.

I mean, technically I guess my Odyssey SL Ten is kind of a clone of the TM Spyder - but it was designed by the same guy working for a different company, so not really.

About 20 years ago I had a full bag from Pinemeadow. The only one I maybe wish I should have kept was the putter.

There's no reason to resort to clones. There are good quality golf clubs that are affordable -- if you like big OEM then go used or close out, if you are open to DTC / component then look at those options too.

But, clones? No way.

Dave

I use to have a whole set of clone Nike slingshot comparable irons I used for about 10 years and in fact still have them and they still play wonderfully well. At the time i also had clone of Cleveland driver (and i think woods). But its been a long time now and two sets of brand name clubs later.
But still a believer.

There's no reason to resort to clones. There are good quality golf clubs that are affordable -- if you like big OEM then go used or close out, if you are open to DTC / component then look at those options too.

But, clones? No way.

Dave
Sure there is if thats what one wants to do. Brand new (not used), good quality, and custom ordered lengths and lies and choice of shafts etc...
if one has an idea or outright good info on a fitting as for length and lie and shaft characteristics and knows what they need yet doesnt have the money to pay the brand name then they are a great option. And even if buying off the shelf still can have many choices for setting up the new clubs to your liking and do it all for fraction of the cost and they play (or at least they use to) perfectly well.

Sure there is if thats what one wants to do. Brand new (not used) and custom ordered lengths and lies and choice of shafts etc...
if one has an idea or outright good info on a fitting as for length and lie and shaft characteristics and knows what they need yet doesnt have the money to pay the brand name then they are a great option. And even if buying off the shelf still can have many choices for setting up the new clubs to your liking and do it all for fraction of the cost and they play (or at least they use to) perfectly well.

There are other options that can be done fully custom that are not a blatant rip off of other designs.

There is no reason that anyone needs to buy clones.

Dave

There are other options that can be done fully custom that are not a blatant rip off of other designs.

There is no reason that anyone needs to buy clones.

Dave
You think golf clubs are the only products we can buy where R&D is copied? Its all over everywhere in most any subject we care to discuss. And what abnout the brand name makers? They dont copy each other and or come up with different twists on the very same tech and design? I mean heck......who was the first to create titanium (vs wood) drivers before all followed? 460cc heads? Who was the first to create metal shafts? graphite shafts? cavity back iron design? off set irons? hybrids? etc,etc,etc lets not even talk balls like urethane and multiple, etc,etc

I mean not only are designs ripped off between the brand names but (and not at alll just golf) but they are alkl always trying to steel each others ideas and go out of their way to dissect each others stuff. I mean the conversation as for rip off doesnt even hold a debate imo.

You think golf clubs are the only products we can buy where R&D is copied? Its all over everywhere in most any subject we care to discuss. And what abnout the brand name makers? They dont copy each other and or come up with different twists on the very same tech and design? I mean heck......who was the first to create titanium (vs wood) drivers before all followed? 460cc heads? Who was the first to create metal shafts? graphite shafts? cavity back iron design? off set irons? hybrids? etc,etc,etc lets not even talk balls like urethane and multiple, etc,etc

I mean not only are designs ripped off between the brand names but (and not at alll just golf) but they are alkl always trying to steel each others ideas and go out of their way to dissect each others stuff. I mean the conversation as for rip off doesnt even hold a debate imo.

Copying R&D and full out clones are completely different. I'm talking about full out clones, like Diamond Tour golf for example... buy at your own risk, there's a high probably that you're buying junk.

Dave

Nope. Never have, never will.

Copying R&D and full out clones are completely different. I'm talking about full out clones, like Diamond Tour golf for example... buy at your own risk, there's a high probably that you're buying junk.

Dave
I would disagree. Copying with your own twist is still every bit copying anyway. And actually the clubs like Diamond tour or pine meadow or etc... are not exact but are copied with a twist too.

Another thing i forgot to mention was adjustable head drivers. Yet another copied tech.

Thes clubs (at least not when i bought and used them) where not at all and "buy at your own risk" type of thing. They are (were) serious with great customer service, many top shaft choices, stand behind their products, , etc,etc... I dont think you truly know these places well enough.

I can go right now and break out my old Clone Nike irons which were fit to my length and lie (back then) And play them very well. As a matter of fact I did that already last year after two of my brand name club iron shafts broke (long story) . While deciding and searching and fitting myself to new clubs I played both the 5i and 8i from that old set for many rounds and didnt skip a single beat after like more than 15 years.
'
Perhaps you might be thinking about imitation clubs or fakes or counterfeit clubs and maybe is why you mention the phrase "at your own risk" . But Clones or "knock-offs" are not that at all. They are real and they have quality and they dont pretend about what they are. They are legit clubs (based on my past experiences and information) and are of quality materials and as said can be had with custom settings as well as real brand name shaft choices as well as grips.

We can of course debate feeling right or wrong to buy them or not. But poor quality? or buy at your own risk? is just not the case. They are good and real stuff.

Did you know that Dell Computer started as a Clone?

Last edited:
Any clone clubs in your bag (not counterfeit or knock offs)?

God I hope not or I'm going to be pissed.

Last edited:
Can’t say I do.

I am waiting on a Ray Cook Silver Ray that I ordered yesterday. The thought has crossed my mind "will I get laughed at on the course". One thing I love about getting older, more and more you don't care about what others think or say about you.

Had some Monark Golf Cally X24 clones back in the early 2010's when I was still learning. Good for what they were. No idea how they stacked against the real thing. Probably wasn't good enough to know the difference.

Not sure how your defining clone in this context. Counterfeit basically = clone.

I would disagree. Copying with your own twist is still every bit copying anyway. And actually the clubs like Diamond tour or pine meadow or etc... are not exact but are copied with a twist too.

Another thing i forgot to mention was adjustable head drivers. Yet another copied tech.

Thes clubs (at least not when i bought and used them) where not at all and "buy at your own risk" type of thing. They are (were) serious with great customer service, many top shaft choices, stand behind their products, , etc,etc... I dont think you truly know these places well enough.

I can go right now and break out my old Clone Nike irons which were fit to my length and lie (back then) And play them very well. As a matter of fact I did that already last year after two of my brand name club iron shafts broke (long story) . While deciding and searching and fitting myself to new clubs I played both the 5i and 8i from that old set for many rounds and didnt skip a single beat after like more than 15 years.
'
Perhaps you might be thinking about imitation clubs or fakes or counterfeit clubs and maybe is why you mention the phrase "at your own risk" . But Clones or "knock-offs" are not that at all. They are real and they have quality and they dont pretend about what they are. They are legit clubs (based on my past experiences and information) and are of quality materials and as said can be had with custom settings as well as real brand name shaft choices as well as grips.

We can of course debate feeling right or wrong to buy them or not. But poor quality? or buy at your own risk? is just not the case. They are good and real stuff.

Did you know that Dell Computer started as a Clone?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Dave

Not currently, but for years I played a set of Acer XP (sounds like a computer) clones of Callaway X-18s. I also had a Pine Meadow clone of a Taylormade Rescue Mid hybrid that worked really well for me.
I have a couple of those Pinemeadow hybrids that are the Taylormade clones - One of the better sets of hybrids I've owned.

Not sure how your defining clone in this context. Counterfeit basically = clone.
yea I think the wording leaves some question.
Regardless I assumed the OP wants to know about knock-offs that are real legitimate club options and not fake phony counterfeit ones.

For example....a counterfeit or fake club is one that claims to be a real titleist 915 (name and all) driver but is fake. So yea a clone can be considered that...lol
But then "clones" or (i prefer) knock-off are of the legitimate type club just slightly tweaked and yet comparable to the name brand but not called a titleist 915.

One is phony imitation and fake (think the fake 915) while the other more of a comparable copycat (with its own name) yet a real performer.

the word "clone" can be used either way...lol. One is a scam while the other a legitimate option

yea I think the wording leaves some question.
Regardless I assumed the OP wants to know about knock-offs that are real legitimate club options and not fake phony counterfeit ones.

For example....a counterfeit or fake club is one that claims to be a real titleist 915 (name and all) driver but is fake. So yea a clone can be considered that...lol
But then "clones" or (i prefer) knock-off are of the legitimate type club just slightly tweaked and yet comparable to the name brand but not called a titleist 915.

One is phony imitation and fake (think the fake 915) while the other more of a comparable copycat (with its own name) yet a real performer.

the word "clone" can be used either way...lol. One is a scam while the other a legitimate option
Exactly. A knock off is not a clone.

Back