Any comic book collectors around here?

I used to have a decent small collection of late 70s, early 80s Marvel but sold some and gave the rest away. Sometimes wish I hadn't, especially the X-Men.

What are the main parts of your collection?

Sold all of mine a few years ago. Just as the Marvel movie craze started. Got decent money, but they would be worth probably a lot more now.

I used to have a decent small collection of late 70s, early 80s Marvel but sold some and gave the rest away. Sometimes wish I hadn't, especially the X-Men.

What are the main parts of your collection?
Oh man. I've got some of everything because I used to buy smaller collections from other people, when I was in high school or shortly there after. X-men, Avengers, Dare Devil, FF. Some DC but mostly Marvel.
I've been gifting some of my collection to younger kids. I gave away my Dr, Strange books to a friend's son. I gave away the Spider Man books to a friend who had his old collection lost in a fire.

When I was a teenager I had hundreds and hundreds. When I got married my wife gave me a hard time about them and I gave them all away.. It is one of the decisions I really regret.

Oh man. I've got some of everything because I used to buy smaller collections from other people, when I was in high school or shortly there after. X-men, Avengers, Dare Devil, FF. Some DC but mostly Marvel.
I've been gifting some of my collection to younger kids. I gave away my Dr, Strange books to a friend's son. I gave away the Spider Man books to a friend who had his old collection lost in a fire.

Out of interest do you know which X-Men numbers you have?

When I was a teenager I had hundreds and hundreds. When I got married my wife gave me a hard time about them and I gave them all away.. It is one of the decisions I really regret.
That's funny because my wife gives me a hard time about them too. I tell her "I'll get rid of my comic collection when you get rid of your shoe, make up and clothing collection". That shuts the conversation down immediately. :LOL:

I no longer have them and I've forgotten the number to be honest but I liked them from #1 (in retrospect as I'm not that old :)) but the John Byrne/Chris Claremont issues which I am old enough to have bought at the time were the pinnacle of comic books for me. The Dark Phoenix saga was sublime. The Roy Thomas/ Neal Adams series from the late 60s, I think, were great too.

How about yourself? What do you consider the pride of your collection?

I no longer have them and I've forgotten the number to be honest but I liked them from #1 (in retrospect as I'm not that old :)) but the John Byrne/Chris Claremont issues which I am old enough to have bought at the time were the pinnacle of comic books for me. The Dark Phoenix saga was sublime. The Roy Thomas/ Neal Adams series from the late 60s, I think, were great too.

How about yourself? What do you consider the pride of your collection?
Same. Those are the #90s through the 140s X-men.
I'm a big John Byrne fan, so I have the Byrne X-men and the Byrne FF. I really liked Frank Miller, so I have the Miller Dare Devils. I have a huge run of Avengers from the $70s through the 300s.

Same. Those are the #90s through the 140s X-men.
I'm a big John Byrne fan, so I have the Byrne X-men and the Byrne FF. I really liked Frank Miller, so I have the Miller Dare Devils. I have a huge run of Avengers from the $70s through the 300s.

You're a man with taste. Love all of them and Alpha Flight was good too.

Byrne's artwork on FF was on another level. There's one issue where Silver Surfer is fighting someone and they crash into a stuck Doctor Doom. Man, that was something else.

You're a man with taste. Love all of them and Alpha Flight was good too.

Byrne's artwork on FF was on another level. There's one issue where Silver Surfer is fighting someone and they crash into a stuck Doctor Doom. Man, that was something else.
I've got the first 50 Alpha Flight books. Loved them. I also have the first 30 Micronaughts. Remember those books. Good art work.

i have about 50 in my basement that i bought as a kid. no clue if they are worth anything but now i want to look.

How old are you? If they are in good condition, they could be worth a lot of money. I sold a single book for $2000 once.

Which one?

Which one?
9.2 CGC Giant Sized X-Men #1. I paid about $400 for it when Ebay first came out. It was ungraded but I could tell it was in good shape from the pictures. I couldn't believe how nice it was when I got it. Sent it to CGC for grading. Held onto it until a few years ago and sold it. I probably made 10K buying and selling comics on Ebay. A lot of people didn't really know what they had and they were looking to unload old books, their parent's old books, etc. It was crazy in the early days.

They would have to be "key issues" but there are some books that command good money from the late 70s.
i remember i was big into Conan back then. doubt they are worth much but i'll take a look this weekend

Back