any fishermen here?

I used to, but many lakes around here are really city/county reservoirs, stocked trout, bass, catfish. A couple larger natural lakes with Florida Bass. No natural streams, creeks. Colorado River not that far though. ande of course there is Baja.

OK, I can see you are going to fish salt water. Much of the same applies! You need to find a rig that works for whatever you are fishing for! Don't give the captains and hands on the boats genius status right off the bat. How do you think they came by their expertise? Trial and error, just like everybody else!

growing up fished a small creek with dough balls, caught a lot of carp mid sized 10-20 lbs. Really didn't know what to do with them i.e. mud streaks e.t.c. I guess you need to cut it out. Tried to eat one once, tasted like crap. Not surprising given that creek had a lot of raw sewage spewing into it....Ugh.

That's what we used to call the "mud vein". I actually envisioned an organic tube inside a carp's body that was full of mud, that I'd need to cut out of there! Years later I found out that it was the lateral line, on the side of the fish. You can see it easily. Another species that shares the same trait is considered eminently edible. Salmon!

Fish lateral lines are packed with tiny, oil filled glands that sense vibrations in the water. Why restaurants that serve salmon don't cut the lateral line out puzzles me. It tastes awful, and should not be on a plate served to a paying customer!

Been getting out on the ice a fair bit this year. Caught some trout/perch/pike but really want a burbot. Saw some on the camera on the weekend but no interest in the lures or bait sadly.

This week is going to be very warm so despite there being 30+ inches of ice on the lake I'm not sure how safe it'll be. Shame if the season ends before I get one of these ugly buggers!

Wow...that's a beast !

still getting re-acquainted with Salt Water after many years in hiatus. Recently discovered the world of Lucky Craft SW lures. First trial will be SW Pointer 115MR Golden Shiner. Also soft plastics, swimmers, drop line, T-Rigs, C-Rigs. round jig heads, belly weighted wide gap hooks, Gulp Shrimp (still fished or rigged), Berkley Power Baits. As stated previously (I think), I have both spin and bait casters from Penn (Battle III 40000 and lever drag Fathom 40) Both braid with mono/fluro top shot/leader). Have only been out a few times, scouted out some jetties and in shore, and fresh water. My knot tying abilities are still intact with all the usual suspects, i.e. Alberto, dbl uni, FG, Palomar, improved cinch, San Diego Jam, Surgeon's, drop loops, Bimini twist.

My wife and I do a fair amount of crappie fishing at Truman Lake in Missouri. Sometimes we'll target some bass. We have a 16.5 ' Lowe Fishing Machine that we store down there. I also like to hit up Bennett Springs for some trout now and then, although I suck at fly fishing. I give it a shot and eventually break out my ultralight spinning gear.

My wife and I do a fair amount of crappie fishing at Truman Lake in Missouri. Sometimes we'll target some bass. We have a 16.5 ' Lowe Fishing Machine that we store down there. I also like to hit up Bennett Springs for some trout now and then, although I suck at fly fishing. I give it a shot and eventually break out my ultralight spinning gear.
fly fishing is my next project. Absolutely no experience what-so-ever.

fly fishing is my next project. Absolutely no experience what-so-ever.

Southern Cal is a great for salt water fly fishing just in case you didn't know. The beach is a great place to learn how to work your line for casting without trees and bushes catching your line.

Southern Cal is a great for salt water fly fishing just in case you didn't know. The beach is a great place to learn how to work your line for casting without trees and bushes catching your line.

and thanks, pretty inspiring!

Been getting out on the ice a fair bit this year. Caught some trout/perch/pike but really want a burbot. Saw some on the camera on the weekend but no interest in the lures or bait sadly.

This week is going to be very warm so despite there being 30+ inches of ice on the lake I'm not sure how safe it'll be. Shame if the season ends before I get one of these ugly buggers!

We used to fish in Canada some years ago. One day after supper we didn't feel like going out in the boats again, so we just went to the beach and threw some line out, fishing bottom with nightcrawlers. I get a bite, set the hook, and reel in this "creature from the black lagoon"! We had no idea what the heck it was. I unhooked it and it wriggled out of my grip. It started crawling toward the water on those pectoral spines they have! I picked it up and set it back on the sand facing away from the water. It turned right around and crawled into the lake!

We asked the outfitter about it, and he told us it was a "ling cod". Guess that's a regional name for them. Some places they are called "eelpout", and in Cleveland, Ohio some folks call them "lawyers"! I have no idea why! Then I found out that they are supposed to be delicious!

If you guys are ever down here at the VB area, there are still plenty of "cows" in the bay. My son with a 52" Striper on his kayak.

View attachment 8996104

Rockfish! When I went to Baltimore for a convention, I tried crab stuffed striped bass one time and was hooked forever!

I grew up golfing with a bit of fishing thrown in. When my job made it impossible to find enough time to play golf, I bought a bass boat and spent my vacations bass fishing and doing fly-in trips to Canada for pike and walleyes. I then focused on river smallmouth. Now that I’m playing golf again, my fishing has taken a back seat except for a couple of week long fishing trips planned for the upcoming year.

When I'm not golfing, I'm fishing. Either offshore for pelagic species like tuna, wahoo, marlin or fly fishing for whatever I can sight cast too. There is an awesome Mako shark fishery in Southern California and several guides run fly charters.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1d04.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d04.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 13
  • caPMt4epTduhdRSfflJ98A.jpg
    caPMt4epTduhdRSfflJ98A.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14
fishing for Halibut, caught a Tern!!

Okay, so I got this Lucky Craft Golden shiner (sinking) bait with fantastic action. Casts easily and great distance. Shortly after it hits the water, the line suddenly spins off the spool. Heck, I got a "biggin" I thot. But a Tern had dived quickly and took it. I tried to gently retrieve the winged creature but when I gets it to shore, no lure to be found, and the bird was hung up in braid. Did the bird swallow it? The lure is a 4 inch hard bait with three # 6 very sharp trebles. Does not seem likely. No sign of the 3 foot Flouro leader. I was able to trim away the braid, and after a while, the creature was able to walk a bit and eventually got airborne. I really feel sorry for the bird, and also the loss of a $13.00 lure! He/she seemed to fly okay, but I have doubts about it's survival if indeed the lure was somehow ingested.

I had a mullet jump into the boat one day, but never anything like this:

I swear someone on this forum mentioned somewhere they build custom rods. I can’t remember who it was though but if you know or if you are he send me a PM please.

My buddy and I acquired a 14ft aluminum boat this weekend in anticipation of the ice lifting.

Now I need recommendations for rods to catch pike/burbot and trout/perch?
Can someone recommend bait casting vs. spin casting?

I recently curbed my YouTube fishing channel to get back to my 1st passion of golf. I filmed primarily Catfishing videos mixed with some Bass videos(BOR Fishing). One of my recent videos has me catching a 57,51, several 30’s and a couple 20’s. I really love Catfishing, but not as much as golf.

I recently curbed my YouTube fishing channel to get back to my 1st passion of golf. I filmed primarily Catfishing videos mixed with some Bass videos(BOR Fishing). One of my recent videos has me catching a 57,51, several 30’s and a couple 20’s. I really love Catfishing, but not as much as golf.
My nephew is big into catfish. He even invented his own bait and it works like crazy. He takes Ruffles potato chips and mash them up with French onion dip and makes dough balls. He catches them hand over fist with that bait. Crazy.

Pics?

I,ve been following Salt Strong aka www. fishstrong.com They are currently promoting a new soft bait called Alabama Leprechaun and showing a tandem rig called "Double Leprechaun or Donkey Rig" which looks quite interesting. Their members club is a bit pricey but you get a lot of stuff, videos, courses, forum, 20% discount and more. The videos are really helpful and clear and concise. (at least when co-owner "Luke" is demonstrating).

Woohoo just got my fishing license for the year.

I don't fish often but sometimes I like to take a pole or two out when I go kayaking.

My brother and I like to hunt for Muskies.
253439_1755874781443_3892839_n.jpg
52 inch Muskie 001.JPG20160630_205603_001.jpgDSC01468.JPGDSC01474.JPG

Back