Any good drills to get wrist break timing better?

somapolice

Reaction score
Handicap
golf
I have recently come to the realization that I am breaking my wrists too early in my downswing, causing me to take a divot before the ball. Any suggestions on good drills to help me to break my wrists at the right time?

Thanks for the question. Two good drills are the Business Card Drill and Avoid the Wall Drill.

For the Business Card Drill take a standard business card and put it in front of the ball. Your goal is to move the business card. This helps move your focus in front of the ball and lag the club better into impact. You can also put a tee into the ground an inch in front of the ball and try to move that too.

For the Avoid the Wall Drill take any club and place it on the ground at a right angle by a wall. Then place your back foot so the inside of the foot aligns with the end of the club. Then take your swing to the top, from there if you maintain the lag you will miss the wall. Practice with slow motion swings to feel the change, then notice the different feeling to take to the range.

Hope these help!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks for the question. Two good drills are the Business Card Drill and Avoid the Wall Drill.

For the Business Card Drill take a standard business card and put it in front of the ball. Your goal is to move the business card. This helps move your focus in front of the ball and lag the club better into impact. You can also put a tee into the ground an inch in front of the ball and try to move that too.

For the Avoid the Wall Drill take any club and place it on the ground at a right angle by a wall. Then place your back foot so the inside of the foot aligns with the end of the club. Then take your swing to the top, from there if you maintain the lag you will miss the wall. Practice with slow motion swings to feel the change, then notice the different feeling to take to the range.

Hope these help!

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO
Hey Josh,

Thanks for the drills! I have a question about the avoid the wall drill. I am having problems conceptualizing it. Is your stance parallel to the wall or facing the wall? I think I'm just not understanding haha.

Walldrillpic.png

Sorry for the rough drawing. For the club, put the head of the club at the wall and then have your back foot right by the grip of the club. It will force you to maintain the lag without hitting the wall. I did this drill when I first started playing.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Walldrillpic.png

Sorry for the rough drawing. For the club, put the head of the club at the wall and then have your back foot right by the grip of the club. It will force you to maintain the lag without hitting the wall. I did this drill when I first started playing.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Haha. Thanks for the beautiful diagram! So I am facing away from the wall swinging away from the wall? And if i break my hands too early it will drag against the wall? Is that the idea? I'm really struggling with this concept for some reason:banghead:

Haha. Thanks for the beautiful diagram! So I am facing away from the wall swinging away from the wall? And if i break my hands too early it will drag against the wall? Is that the idea? I'm really struggling with this concept for some reason:banghead:

You will be facing parallel with the wall so that the wall would block back swing and down swing. Having the wall 1 club length away will force you to keep your hands hinged to avoid the club head hitting the wall as you come through.

You will be facing parallel with the wall so that the wall would block back swing and down swing. Having the wall 1 club length away will force you to keep your hands hinged to avoid the club head hitting the wall as you come through.
Awesome, thanks!

I"m having the same issue. I will also practice these drills. Thanks!!!!

Just the drill I've been looking for (the wall drill that is), I've been using a weighted swing ring on the end of my club to fell the club head to help with what I call a late cast and this new drill should help even further, now to find a wall my doesn't like!

Back