Any mechanics here?

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
This was today on my 2010 Jeep Commander.

Now that I listen closer. Sounds like the starter didn't fully engage, that first time.

It tried, then free spun, then tried again.

Last edited:
The starter the second time is not engaging the bendix throwout. Can be rebuilt easily or replaced. Parts store will give you a core rebate.
If you need to get somewhere have someone crank the starter while tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, wench etc.

good luck

Is it consistent?
No, it did this the other day one time and a friend said maybe stater relay so I changed that. Hadn’t done it since until today. It was like 3 days ago and it had never done it before.

The starter the second time is not engaging the bendix throwout. Can be rebuilt easily or replaced. Parts store will give you a core rebate.
If you need to get somewhere have someone crank the starter while tapping the starter lightly with a hammer, wench etc.

good luck
I’m nowhere near or even close to knowing anything on car mechanics but I had thought possibly the starter.

It sounds like the starter is kicking in just fine. When I get to work tomorrow I’ll pull a schematic up and see if the starting circuit runs through the ECM. If it does, the starter will not disengage until the crank/cam sensors see a certain RPM for a stated period of time (you got it bumped once and then it fell of with the starter still continuing to spin). If that’s the case it’s most likely going to be a fuel or spark issue, and I would check fuel first (weak fuel pump). I’m a diesel guy by trade, but I know a little about gas stuff.

The other guys seem like they know a heck of a lot more than me but to my ear it was turning over fine...I wondered if it was getting fuel. Fuel filter? Fuel pump?

It sounds like the starter is kicking in just fine. When I get to work tomorrow I’ll pull a schematic up and see if the starting circuit runs through the ECM. If it does, the starter will not disengage until the crank/cam sensors see a certain RPM for a stated period of time (you got it bumped once and then it fell of with the starter still continuing to spin). If that’s the case it’s most likely going to be a fuel or spark issue, and I would check fuel first (weak fuel pump). I’m a diesel guy by trade, but I know a little about gas stuff.
Yes, please let me know anymore thoughts.
3.7L V6

The other guys seem like they know a heck of a lot more than me but to my ear it was turning over fine...I wondered if it was getting fuel. Fuel filter? Fuel pump?
Yes, this was my other thought suggested to me.
Thank you for the response.

1615385185552.png
Kinda hard to make out and follow along if you don't know what you're looking at, but the starter low amperage power is coming from your front control module (think computer). So realistically it wouldn't be a "starter" circuit issue, and like stated before, I would be leaning more towards a fuel issue with the "hiccup" then back to crank/no start. How many miles are on it, and do you know if the fuel filter has ever been changed?

Edit: the schematic won't post any larger than that so don't even try and read it, unless you have REALLY good eyes and can blow up your screen 100+ times.

View attachment 8997275
Kinda hard to make out and follow along if you don't know what you're looking at, but the starter low amperage power is coming from your front control module (think computer). So realistically it wouldn't be a "starter" circuit issue, and like stated before, I would be leaning more towards a fuel issue with the "hiccup" then back to crank/no start. How many miles are on it, and do you know if the fuel filter has ever been changed?

Edit: the schematic won't post any larger than that so don't even try and read it, unless you have REALLY good eyes and can blow up your screen 100+ times.
105k miles
i dont think the fuel filter has been changed, its 11 years old and ive had it for 9.

View attachment 8997275

Do you use the ProDemand software to find this info?

I’m curious because I briefly contracted for the company that makes that software 10 years ago. I was one of the many programmers that built the first version of ProDemand. It’s not often I meet someone in the wild that uses the niche software I’ve written in my career, most of which isn’t even in service anymore.

First thing is to scan for any codes. Check engine light on?

im wondering if a fuel treatment/additive would help kind of clean it out.

my first thought was the starter but as some have said the starter is turning over, its like its a fuel issue though.
this has happened maybe 2-3 in the last few weeks, this hasnt been an issue before.
the other strange thing is, the vehicle may start fine and i drive for awhile, go home park and shut it off, then maybe 10 minutes later leave again and it may do this.

I'm mechanically challenged. I even stripped the oil pan on my old motorcycle forgetting I was looking down (vs laying on the ground) and tightened the bolt instead of loosening

Big derp :mad:

No light then it's most likely fuel or spark issue. Seemed to want to kick on 1st attempt. not sure when plugs are due on it or if they've already been done.

hope you get it fixed.... I had a 2010 jeep commander and miss it! Rode that baby over 240,000 miles with no additional work ever needed other than standard tires, oil, battery, and filters.

It is so hard to diagnose issues like this with limited information, but I think I heard some belt slippage going on (the loud chirping you hear while it is trying to turn over). If I was to guess, and it is just a guess, I would look at the fuses and relays to the fuel pump and fuel filter and visibly inspect and check for continuity. Having owned a Jeep that tried to kill me with fire, I always check electrical connections in this instance with Jeeps.

My first thought was fuel delivery issue. I am no mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt, but, a lot of cars these days "prime" the fuel pump when you first open a door after it's been sitting for awhile.

It is so hard to diagnose issues like this with limited information, but I think I heard some belt slippage going on (the loud chirping you hear while it is trying to turn over). If I was to guess, and it is just a guess, I would look at the fuses and relays to the fuel pump and fuel filter and visibly inspect and check for continuity. Having owned a Jeep that tried to kill me with fire, I always check electrical connections in this instance with Jeeps.
i did recently replace the starter relay for the issue that is going on, for $20 im going to replace the fuel pump relay now that you say this!

Back