Any motorcycle owners out there?

I put 10,000 miles on my last bike when I called it quits. Part of that decision was a couple things: Had a lady pull a U turn right in front of me. ( I got stopped in time) Had a close call with a doe, (close enough I could count the ticks on her back) The last one was almost getting rear-ended. Stopped at a light, maybe 4th vehicle back and I checked the mirror and ducked out right just in time to get missed. She creamed the car that was in front of me bad. (driver was on cell phone.)
Has been about 10 years now and don't really miss it but there are times I would like to be on the bike and enjoy that freedom of just cruising. Don't know that I will ever go back again.
Thanks for the feedback .. I've had a couple close calls but nothing like what you said.

I should also add that I've been contemplating getting more of a cruiser style, but who knows if wife will every get back on one even with stuff like a sissy bar and such. So I'd eventually be selling this one anyways, so maybe if I stepped away its just for a year or two

I put 10,000 miles on my last bike when I called it quits. Part of that decision was a couple things: Had a lady pull a U turn right in front of me. ( I got stopped in time) Had a close call with a doe, (close enough I could count the ticks on her back) The last one was almost getting rear-ended. Stopped at a light, maybe 4th vehicle back and I checked the mirror and ducked out right just in tie me to get missed. She creamed the car that was in front of me bad. (driver was on cell phone.)
Has been about 10 years now and don't really miss it but there are times I would like to be on the bike and enjoy that freedom of just cruising. Don't know that I will ever go back again.

I had two close calls in my early 20’s both of which were my fault involving excessive speed and I haven’t been on a motorcycle since. Now I get my speed thrills mostly on our Sea Doo PWC’s and a handful of times a year on my neighbors Ski Doo X 850 e-tec which is scary fast - I’ve had it up over 100mph this winter out on the lake. I told him I would buy it whenever he upgrades to a newer model. :)

I had two close calls in my early 20’s both of which were my fault involving excessive speed and I haven’t been on a motorcycle since. Now I get my speed thrills mostly on our Sea Doo PWC’s and a handful of times a year on my neighbors Ski Doo X 850 e-tec which is scary fast - I’ve had it up over 100mph this winter out on the lake. I told him I would buy it whenever he upgrades to a newer model. :)
Sleds are fast nowadays, but so much fun out on the lakes like that.

I should also add that I've been contemplating getting more of a cruiser style, but who knows if wife will every get back on one even with stuff like a sissy bar and such. So I'd eventually be selling this one anyways, so maybe if I stepped away its just for a year or two

Years ago when I was young, and my wife and I were first starting out, I gave up my Kawasaki two-stroke triple. It was probably for the best.
Fast forward 35 plus years, kids are grown and on their own, wife passed away from cancer. I bought another bike. A small twin. Sold that and moved to bigger bikes, buying and selling along the way till I ended up with my Triumph Bonneville, and my HD Softail Deluxe. I ride 'em quite a bit. The Triumph is my commuter. (Truck gets 12mpg in town, Triumph gets 40...easy choice) . Most of the close calls I've had were either my own doing or just a few blocks from my house due to people going too fast and/or not paying attention. One was right across the street from my house!

Still, that doesn't put me off from riding. I'm just hyper vigilant now.

There may a time down the road for you to ride again. The way things are going tho, the only bikes available in the future might be electric! If your bike is paid for, maybe set it up for long term storage, do a non'op on the registration and cancel the insurance. That'll keep you from riding it till you're ready. But, if you need the money....well, only you can say what is best for your particular situation.

Anyone heading to Daytona next week? I’m heading down Thursday and will probably be in Daytona Fri/Sat. Have a tee time at Lake Buena Vista in Disney World on the 12th and looking for a local course in Titusville on the 7th for a warmup round.

Alan

My first bike was a mid life crisis LOL. Wasn’t allowed one back in the UK. Wife at the time rightly thought I’d kill myself, and she was probably right. First bike was 4 years ago when I was 42. Bought after attending the WSBK at Laguna Seca and visiting the manufactures stands. I loved that bike, wish I’d kept it alongside my current bike.
View attachment 8990559

Uuuh what a gem! congrats! I am looking for buying this baby too.

Uuuh what a gem! congrats! I am looking for buying this baby too.
R3? If you read the Internet, you’ll see this is a underpowered beginner bike that is no fun to ride. Luckily, most of the stuff written online is crap. This is a fantastic little bike that will easily keep up with traffic at over freeway speeds, and handles superbly. It really is an awesome machine. The stock tires mine came with were garbage though. Not sure if Yamaha have improved on them with the newer models. You’ll love it!

MC guys, I'm having a little internal battle.. with a baby on the way, theres a small part that thinks its time to sell the bike and be without one for a while.

Another part is kind of stubborn and thinking I'll miss it, chances of an accident are low, I can get another season out of it before selling (baby due in June, i won't need to commute her to daycare until January or so).

Last year tho I only put about 1000 miles on it, so I'm riding less and less each year. Just tough to even take to work some mornings as weather, waking up on time, carrying crap, etc all needs to line up

Anyone else step away for a while? Good decision or wish you didn't? Any input welcome!

I have an 08 triumph speed triple with maaaybe 14k miles, upgraded exhaust, and hoping I can fetch 5500 for it. So its a good chunk of money I POTENTIALLY could get

I have a slant on this, I have stepped away for a bit. I ride off-road as opposed to on the street, because street riding just scares me too much, never was interested. I'll take my chances on a closed course with other racers, trees, and terrain instead of commuter traffic. After almost 20 years riding and racing and accumulating some expensive and inconvenient trips to the hospital for orthopedic surgeries, I took up golf as my main outlet. A couple years ago mid-summer I put a foot down sliding around a muddy corner, and tore my MCL enough that I couldn't play golf the rest of the year. That pissed me off enough that I have not been on the bike since. I've got an IM rod in my tibia that I don't want to eff up, screws in one shoulder that I don't want to re-break, the other shoulder is loose/rather borderline (and don't want to have to have surgery in the future on it), and I've got one decent knee left.

I may eventually go back, but at current with young kids and self-preservation being more of a focus, I've taken steps to make sure I can enjoy golf and life in general.

Its a really personal thing - everyone knows what makes them tick, and I think we all have an ebb and flow to our hobbies. Dirt bikes are on the ebb for me right now and my instinct is to feel guilty about it, but I'm letting it go. Street bikes are a tough call because traffic is so unpredictable and consequences are severe.

I ride on very rural roads. Animals are my biggest threat and fear. I do try to be home by nightfall in the summer for that reason.

My good bud I work with went down with his wife two years ago when a bear bounded out mid day in traffic and stopped his front tire. He and his wife were badly hurt...and he just bought his second brand new bike since the accident!

He's a Harley dude, I'm just a dude with a Harley.

After much contemplation I listed it for sale. I'll ride if the conditions are right (which they seem to be next week @ 65* most days), though it may require another day off work for golf lol

Listed on FB market, anyone got any other sites or ideas to sell?
20210307_122049.jpg

I don't ride any more. Sold my last chopper 5 years ago. I miss it but my wife got really paranoid about the texting/distracted drivers out there. Several motorcyclists have been killed not far from where we live.
1616563278667.png

Who's getting ready for riding season?!?! Just got Ursula ready for the season. Oil changed, fluids checked and TCLOK performed. Just need to give her a good bath and need the mornings to warm up just a tad as I leave for work at 4:30 am.
Z900.JPG

Who's getting ready for riding season?!?! Just got Ursula ready for the season. Oil changed, fluids checked and TCLOK performed. Just need to give her a good bath and need the mornings to warm up just a tad as I leave for work at 4:30 am.
View attachment 8999439

Nice.

It was 32 degrees yesterday so I took the car to work, taught my first class and after it warmed to the high 40s I went home and returned on the bike!

Nice.

It was 32 degrees yesterday so I took the car to work, taught my first class and after it warmed to the high 40s I went home and returned on the bike!
Yeah, I live 45 minutes from work. If it was daylight when I went to work in the morning, I wouldn't mind riding on cooler mornings, but being dark and cold and on a road that has deer on it quite often, I tend to only ride to work when it's warm enough so my concentration is on the road and keeping my eyes open for deer, lol.

I'm 25 minutes from work so 45 degrees is about my cut off.
Most of my ride is interstate or hwy so I stay at speeds of 65-80 almost the entire way so I usually don't ride unless the mornings are going to be in the 60s.

Certainly days when I wished I still had mine, especially when there were days like yesterday (mid 70s, light breeze, sunny). It's hard to justify the cost of one right now, but when the kids are gone, it may be back on the table.

Just waiting for the weather to stabilize here in Nebraska. Betty is patiently waiting to awake from hibernation.
1616592962127.jpeg

20210324_095835.jpg I'm ready for riding season. I just need someone to transport my clubs so I can ride to the course.

I almost bought that exact bike when I was upgrading from my Ninja 250 back in 2012. Solid bike. I went with an 07 Kawasaki zx6r instead.
I used to have the 05 Kawasaki zx6r and it was a great bike. This VFR 1200 that I have now is even better though. It’s an awesome bike, even if I do say so myself 😉

I used to have the 05 Kawasaki zx6r and it was a great bike. This VFR 1200 that I have now is even better though. It’s an awesome bike, even if I do say so myself 😉
I miss my zx6r at times but I love my z900. I traded the zx6r for a victory vegas 8 ball and my wife told me I would regret it. Well, she was right, but I will never tell that to her face. lol.

Everyday is riding season here thankfully.
A29BE138-88BF-407C-8305-2789F14B1E06.jpeg

Back