Any motorcycle owners out there?

Yeh never admit the wife is right, you’ll never hear the end of it 🤣
I don't know about that, my wife is always right, I just smile and nod. :laughing:

Nice Z. When I got mine, I was looking for the one with the green frame, but the all black looks so good!

The black does look good, but I had to go for the Kawi green. It is the common colour, but having said that, I’ve never seen anyone else on a Z in my area.

The black does look good, but I had to go for the Kawi green. It is the common colour, but having said that, I’ve never seen anyone else on a Z in my area.
I am the only one with a Z in my area. I got a steal on mine. Kid had purchased it and wished he bought a cruiser. Had 300 miles on it when I traded him my Victory Vegas 8 ball with 20k on it straight up, lol.

Well thats it fellas, bike was sold

Told the guy the money is going right back out for hvac stuff and then he walked the house to give me an estimate haha

I'm glad I found this thread! I have been pondering getting a road bike, but I am a complete noob, and am a little scared because of what you hear in the news, and from people in general. My wife used to ride on the back of a bike before she met me, and she loved it, and she is ok with me getting a bike, so i am looking for something user friendly and something that I won't grow out of fast. I have it narrowed down to the Indian Bobber Scout, and the Bobber Sixty.

Anyone have any advice for me as I start on this journey?

I'm glad I found this thread! I have been pondering getting a road bike, but I am a complete noob, and am a little scared because of what you hear in the news, and from people in general. My wife used to ride on the back of a bike before she met me, and she loved it, and she is ok with me getting a bike, so i am looking for something user friendly and something that I won't grow out of fast. I have it narrowed down to the Indian Bobber Scout, and the Bobber Sixty.

No advice on the bikes you listed as I’m not a bobber guy, but if you have something along the lines of the motorcycle foundation course where you are, take it! That and buy decent gear. Don’t be a squid!

Buy as large of a bike as you think you can handle. Getting back onto riding in '08 I too was a bit intimidated and I bought a Honda 700. In a short amount of time, I realized that it was a bit small but I didn't have the cash to do anything about it for 6 years until I could buy my Harley. Now I have an FXDL Low Rider and it's a dream to ride!

Best of luck to you....keep us posted!

This is timely. I've never ridden a motorcycle buy my wife owned a Kawasaki store for years and loves to ride. I've toyed with the idea of learning because she loves it so much but have never followed through on it. I've found a Harley learn-to-ride class that I could do, as well as one for a Can-Am. I've looked a 3-wheelers (Can-Am) from time to time because they seem easier to ride to me and more maneuverable than 3-wheelers with 2 rear wheels. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on 2 wheels vs 3.

I'd like to get a dirt bike, don't trust drivers on the roads in a car let alone on a bike.

Temporary citizens is what we called road bikers at home

Buy as large of a bike as you think you can handle. Getting back onto riding in '08 I too was a bit intimidated and I bought a Honda 700. In a short amount of time, I realized that it was a bit small but I didn't have the cash to do anything about it for 6 years until I could buy my Harley. Now I have an FXDL Low Rider and it's a dream to ride!

Great advice. I grew up riding dirt bikes and dual sports, so when I got my first cruiser I just got the same CC as my old dual sport - a Yamaha 650. It was way underpowered for my tastes. I mean, it could do 55 on the highway well enough, but there wasn’t a whole lot left for passing gear.

My current bike is a Harley FXDC that I bought brand new in 2009. I actually just made an appointment for new tires today!

This is timely. I've never ridden a motorcycle buy my wife owned a Kawasaki store for years and loves to ride. I've toyed with the idea of learning because she loves it so much but have never followed through on it. I've found a Harley learn-to-ride class that I could do, as well as one for a Can-Am. I've looked a 3-wheelers (Can-Am) from time to time because they seem easier to ride to me and more maneuverable than 3-wheelers with 2 rear wheels. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on 2 wheels vs 3.
If you’ve never ridden a bike, take a class. They’re very helpful to learn some basics like balance, shifting gears, and lane placements.

Like I said, I’ve ridden since I was around 12 but had my first taste of a trike just a couple years ago. It was on a Can-Am, and what fun that was! A little different feeling since you don’t lean as much but you still get the “wind in your hair” sensation! I caught myself trying to put my feet down a few times when stopping, only to realize that there are floorboards and the bike has 3 wheels.

I could see taking a very long trip on one of those in total comfort!

Other things that felt odd - using a reverse gear and automatic transmission. But I’m sure that wouldn’t phase someone who is just getting into things.

If you’ve never ridden a bike, take a class. They’re very helpful to learn some basics like balance, shifting gears, and lane placements.
Without question, I'll take a class, probably both of them.

I'm 5'7" and I have been researching bikes, and I really like the Indian brand. Some guy on Youtube, warns against a beginner getting the Bobber over the Scout Sixty because of extra power the Bobber has. I will eventually want to have my wife on the back, so I am wondering do I go for the more horsepower but stiffer ride of the Bobber, or the more tame Sixty?

04 GSXR 600
20140503_140638.jpg

I'm 5'7" and I have been researching bikes, and I really like the Indian brand. Some guy on Youtube, warns against a beginner getting the Bobber over the Scout Sixty because of extra power the Bobber has. I will eventually want to have my wife on the back, so I am wondering do I go for the more horsepower but stiffer ride of the Bobber, or the more tame Sixty?
I’ve ridden both on demo days, and don’t think you could go wrong with either. Couple things that can help make a decision: do you want larger displacement? Okay with 5 speeds, or do you want 6? Which is more comfortable for you to sit on?

My preference was to the Bobber. Especially when answering the above questions.

I’ve ridden both on demo days, and don’t think you could go wrong with either. Couple things that can help make a decision: do you want larger displacement? Okay with 5 speeds, or do you want 6? Which is more comfortable for you to sit on?

My preference was to the Bobber. Especially when answering the above questions.

I haven't a clue Yukon. I am a complete noob. Will the extra power and horsepower be too much for a new guy, or not? It's an extra 20 ponies difference and an extra gear

I haven't a clue Yukon. I am a complete noob. Will the extra power and horsepower be too much for a new guy, or not? It's an extra 20 ponies difference and an extra gear
I was originally hesitant to go with a larger bike too, but someone with more experience than me at the time gave a pretty good analogy. Just because you have a whole chocolate cake, doesn’t mean you have to eat the whole thing at once.

I went from a 5-speed, 650 cc to my current 6-speed, 1584 cc and have been completely happy. I still don’t push it as hard as some guys, but I’m also not left for wanting when I load up my gear for a bike trip and need to make my way up a hill or pass a motorhome.

But I’ve also owned a 650 cc dual-sport bike and been happy enough too! All depends on what you like and how/where you’re going to ride.

You might also want to check in with your insurance and DMV to see if there are any limitations on a new rider. I know there are some significant ones to note in Ontario.

I’d second the advice to go for the largest bike your comfortable with, and by comfortable I mean by the one you can manually move around and reach the ground with your feet on. Too many people are intimidated by the higher powered bikes but then find themselves realising that by going for a smaller one to start with they soon outgrow it with their confidence.
As has been said just because the power is there doesn’t mean you have to use it, just ride at the pace you’re comfortable with.
Find a school that will put you through your test on their bikes then once you have your licence go and test ride the ones you fancy to see if they suit you. Too many people buy bikes based on looks having never ridden them only to find they aren’t suited.
I’d also suggest taking some advanced riding tuition once you’ve passed your test to give you extra confidence and to improve your positioning and awareness. It really makes a difference to your riding and often an advanced qualification will get you an insurance discount too.
Im an advanced rider examiner and motorbike cop and have seen how quickly riders gain confidence and outgrow smaller bikes but the most important thing is to buy what you are comfortable and confident on.
Good luck in your bike hunting 👍

I’d second the advice to go for the largest bike your comfortable with, and by comfortable I mean by the one you can manually move around and reach the ground with your feet on. Too many people are intimidated by the higher powered bikes but then find themselves realising that by going for a smaller one to start with they soon outgrow it with their confidence.
As has been said just because the power is there doesn’t mean you have to use it, just ride at the pace you’re comfortable with.
Find a school that will put you through your test on their bikes then once you have your licence go and test ride the ones you fancy to see if they suit you. Too many people buy bikes based on looks having never ridden them only to find they aren’t suited.
I’d also suggest taking some advanced riding tuition once you’ve passed your test to give you extra confidence and to improve your positioning and awareness. It really makes a difference to your riding and often an advanced qualification will get you an insurance discount too.
Im an advanced rider examiner and motorbike cop and have seen how quickly riders gain confidence and outgrow smaller bikes but the most important thing is to buy what you are comfortable and confident on.
Good luck in your bike hunting 👍

Cheers for that mate!

Take a class if you can and buy good gear. You can get descent gear at a good price. If you had to save a little money you can on gear but one place I wouldn’t is the helmet. That being said, biggest advice I can give you is ride by yourself for a while before putting anyone on the back of the bike. I used to be my command’s motorcycle safety officer and saw a lot of things that could have been prevented. That being one of them. It’s just some safety advice but I love bikes, but you have to respect them. You will never be able to outride the bike. So much fun and best of luck on getting your first bike.

All good advice from the posters above. I'll also add, dress for the slide not the ride. Protection may save your life one day.
Also, once your up and running, ALWAYS expect the unexpected. Never trust a 4 wheeled vehicle to do what is normal and drive defensively at all times.
Nothing like being on two wheels...good luck!

I have done my research, and I actually went to Barnes HD here in Langley, and I got to actually sit on a bike and fire one up, and "oh my goodness" I am hooked! I love it. I have narrowed it down between a softail slim, and an Indian Chief Dark Horse. I am signing up for the motorcycle class for the end of May! I can't wait!

My rides ...
1620618030953.png

I have done my research, and I actually went to Barnes HD here in Langley, and I got to actually sit on a bike and fire one up, and "oh my goodness" I am hooked! I love it. I have narrowed it down between a softail slim, and an Indian Chief Dark Horse. I am signing up for the motorcycle class for the end of May! I can't wait!
Nice to be able to sit on them, and even better that you got to fire it up!

Between those two, I'd take the Harley... but I might have a slight bias. I'm not really digging the fenders on the Indian.

Enjoy the class and good luck on your choice

Back