Car Detailing Thread

Always. Any non-carnauba sealant works great and it makes cleaning off a breeze in the future.

And for cleaning the wheels go with a magic eraser. You will thank me afterwards

I'll 2nd that. I've used Menzerna's (now Jescar) Polymer Sealant on many rims and it works like a charm. But with a Hellcat doesn't that mean you're driving it like you're supposed too? :banana:

Thanks guys!

Haha even when I take it easy it's crazy.

6 piston calipers will do that though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My latest detailing project. It's a F-117 model. Size is approx. 10' front to back and 9' side to side. A little back history on this baby. It was originally pole mounted at Wright-Patt AFB during the '90's and into the mid 2000's outside of one of our buildings. When the program was cancelled it was unmounted around 2007 and moved to a field somewhere on the base. One of our division managers found it and brought it to our org to see if we could resurrect it. Word got around I detailed cars in a previous life and I got started. I tried to get some decent before and after pics to show how bad it was. After about 15 hours of work, viola, done. Now we're going to remount it for everyone to see again. So here it is. I've got pic of all the products I used I can post later.

Before:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Alright JB, let's start with making sure my new car is washed and pristine before I tackle the the waxing and other stuff. Let me know what I need. I have an Amazon cart full of stuff and want to make sure I get only what I need and exactly what I need.

Alright JB, let's start with making sure my new car is washed and pristine before I tackle the the waxing and other stuff. Let me know what I need. I have an Amazon cart full of stuff and want to make sure I get only what I need and exactly what I need.
Obviously not JB, but make sure you've got plenty good quality microfiber towels to be used on nothing but the paint.

As for the wash, I personally use Meguairs stuff as it's easily found and does the job for water washes. May not be the best but does the job. Optimum No Rinse for quick washes after 18 at the course.

This is all you need

Optimum No Rinse
Colinite 845
Microfiber towels
Sealant applicator
Magic eraser for wheels

The collinite goes on wheels and windows after washing too. It's also really durable and has a fantastic shine with the Lincoln paints.

This is all you need

Optimum No Rinse
Colinite 845
Microfiber towels
Sealant applicator
Magic eraser for wheels

The collinite goes on wheels and windows after washing too. It's also really durable and has a fantastic shine with the Lincoln paints.

What do you use for interiors, dash, armrest, leather seats? No shining products please :)

This is all you need

Optimum No Rinse
Colinite 845
Microfiber towels
Sealant applicator
Magic eraser for wheels

Alright, everything acquired. Added a bottle of the Chemical Guys interior cleaner and protectant as well. Will get the leather treatment soon.

After I get the MKC in order my wifes Beetle is in desperate need of a major cleaning and waxing. What's the best method to get some serious gunk off and get the paint in order before waxing?

After I get the MKC in order my wifes Beetle is in desperate need of a major cleaning and waxing. What's the best method to get some serious gunk off and get the paint in order before waxing?

Start with a good washing and see what is left. Minor impurities a quick clay bar. More issues, polishing might be necessary.

I may have went overboard a bit.

2a3e1f1c935b439864973a7bf528990a.jpg

i love a clean car. my new lincoln comes with complimentary car washes. their definition of clean differs greatly from mine.

i love a clean car. my new lincoln comes with complimentary car washes. their definition of clean differs greatly from mine.

The reason I made the investment. My new Lincoln was "detailed" and after an hour and a half it looks like they ran it through a gas station car wash.

The reason I made the investment. My new Lincoln was "detailed" and after an hour and a half it looks like they ran it through a gas station car wash.

good call. all it does it piss me off that i wasted an hour of my time to get a mostly dirty car back. it's free so tough to complain.

I may have went overboard a bit.

2a3e1f1c935b439864973a7bf528990a.jpg

Nah, that's not overboard. But it's a good start though lol. Good call on the grit guard!! A must if you truly want to reduce the risk of swirls and scratches. Throw in a foam cannon, buffing pads, dual orbital polisher and menzerna polishing compounds ...and you're all set!!!

I never let the dealer wash my car. Especially with BMW's black paint...since it seems to be pretty soft. They forgot one time to put the no wash sign on, after I had just detailed it (wash, clay, 2 stage polishing). It was washed and came back swirl city!!!! Now I carry "no wash" signs in the glove compartment to put on the dash for when I service the car.

Got a new AMG last October, same issues with my Mercedes dealer. Comes back looking like **** every time I take it to them for the free cash wash...guess I see why it's free now.

I used to tip the guys $5 a wash, but I'm done with that now.

good call. all it does it piss me off that i wasted an hour of my time to get a mostly dirty car back. it's free so tough to complain.

Our Lincoln dealer does a decent job with the wash, but detailing is something I have done for close to 25 years so I like doing it myself.

What do you guys recommend on a brand new car? Does the factory paint need waxed right away or does it have some sort of protection from the factory? Thanks in advance, and I have the collinite and optimum no rinse on order!

I don't really care now as I don't have the time, but back in the U.K. When I was heavily into detailing, there is no way on this planet I would ever let the dealer wash my car after a service!

Bought a bunch of Poorboy's stuff yesterday because I need products that I can use in sun. Not much shade at my house and a small garage.

I do have what may be a silly question, but what different techniques, if any, do you use for the plastic parts that are typically on the lower front and back? I would assume these never get clay barred, but I don't know that for sure. Does one use sealant on these parts, or just a good wax?

Bought a bunch of Poorboy's stuff yesterday because I need products that I can use in sun. Not much shade at my house and a small garage.

I do have what may be a silly question, but what different techniques, if any, do you use for the plastic parts that are typically on the lower front and back? I would assume these never get clay barred, but I don't know that for sure. Does one use sealant on these parts, or just a good wax?

I don't spend the time to clay bar plastic trim..but I do use products to protect them. It will prevent them from becoming white and discolored and keep them with a nice black sheen. I prefer to stay away from silicone based products. If you like poorboy's maybe try their trim restorer.

I dont clay bar the trim, although our cars do not have much of it. I do use a sealant on it though. I use a clear sealant over the entire car actually. Headlights, windows, wheels, etc.

I have to have my car looking clean regularly - I just won't let it get too dirty.

On the inside...is another story. I have gotten lazy lately with it.

WINDOWS, however, on the inside, are my pet peeve. I HATE it when the windows get that sort of film from lack of staying up on keeping them clean. I just can't stand it, especially when driving at night and headlights hit your windshield - it is very obvious.

Last edited:
What do you guys recommend on a brand new car? Does the factory paint need waxed right away or does it have some sort of protection from the factory? Thanks in advance, and I have the collinite and optimum no rinse on order!
All "new" cars get detailed by the dealership usually, but it's hit or miss if they get waxed and with god knows what product.
My advice is to get the car properly paint corrected by a local professional or shop, then have it sealed/waxed or get a ceramic coating applied.
Then it's just on you to properly wash the car and re-apply a sealant/wax as needed.

Plastic whether it's glossy or flat will never get clay barred since it has no clear coat, the whole purpose of clay barring is to remove contaminants from the clear coat.
Clean it with a good APC, then apply a good trim or plastic coating to add some depth and protection.

On that note, here's my daily all cleaned up. Still gotta winterize it before the temp goes too low.
9uWBvktl.jpg

Rgx73MNl.jpg

Back