Any rvers in the group

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone into rving? What’s your choice of camper style. Bumper pull 5th wheel or Motorhome. We have traveled in motorhomes for the last 10 years. Looking to transition to a 5th wheel.

I've got an old, ghetto truck camper that I use all winter to snowboard and in the summer a little too. I need 4wd, so I'll never probably stray from a truck camper, but I'm excited to be able to afford to upgrade soon.

Also plan to build one for a Tacoma/Nissan truck at some point for just me on solo trips out of insulation foam and fiberglass. That one is still a ways off though, need a garage first.

We traveled in a 34' foot motor home at first for 6 years. Liked it a lot, but it had a few problems with it. Everytime something went wrong it would need to go into shop, leaving us to have to get a motel room.

I found a slightly used, 34' travel trailer, and truck at an auction. Picked it up on the cheap. Found it to be just as comfortable, with less travel limitations than the coach. I sold the coach for more than the truck trailer combo.

However, knowing what I know now, after 12 years of full time RVing, I would go with a 5th wheel, and appropriate truck. A 5th wheel is a much easier tow than a travel trailer. It's also much more stable when rolling down the highway. Less swaying issues.

We have a 26' travel trailer, and my truck. Works fine for us, though we haven't used it much the last 2 years. We'll sell this trailer eventually and either get a small coach for the wife and I, or upgrade the trailer and get something suited better for the two of us as my son will be out of the house soon.

I've got an old, ghetto truck camper that I use all winter to snowboard and in the summer a little too. I need 4wd, so I'll never probably stray from a truck camper, but I'm excited to be able to afford to upgrade soon.

Also plan to build one for a Tacoma/Nissan truck at some point for just me on solo trips out of insulation foam and fiberglass. That one is still a ways off though, need a garage first.

One word, EarthRoamer.

We full-timed for 5 years in our (now sold) 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016. Great times!
6987f208894490aea1e61d99f188816a.jpg

One word, EarthRoamer.
Yeah, little out of my budget, but those are sweet! 😂

Honestly, I wouldn't want something I can't take out and still use the truck bed either.

Yeah, little out of my budget, but those are sweet!

Honestly, I wouldn't want something I can't take out and still use the truck bed either.

Yeah, lotto dream for me haha.

Saw one in person a few weeks ago…LTi built on a F550…owner was nice and gave me a tour, it was ridiculously nice.

We just did our yearly camping vacation, but in my brother's camper lol. Trying to avoid buying one, with the "I can't tow it with a mini-van", and "where would we store it the other 51 weeks of the year" arguments.

I think we were in a 20-25 footer. Our friends are there with the 5th wheel that they live in all summer...... that may be larger than most of the main floor of our house.

I would love a little setup with a separate room for the kids with bunks, and a separate bedroom for the wife and I. Something smaller. I don't want to buy a truck to have to tow it with lol.

Yeah, lotto dream for me haha.

Saw one in person a few weeks ago…LTi built on a F550…owner was nice and gave me a tour, it was ridiculously nice.
Is the 550 a 2 ton? Dually? I bet there was a ton of room in there.

28' Travel trailer. Looking to upgrade to 5th wheel now that I have a new 1 ton truck.

Reactions: J4U
28' Travel trailer. Looking to upgrade to 5th wheel now that I have a new 1 ton truck.
I thought that was our next step... and then the wifey says she wants a motorhome and we'll just pull our smaller car around when needed.

I have a 12 ft. pop I tow everywhere. WE are lake people and stay right on the water wherever we go. It opens up to 25ft. long and has a king and queen beds, furnace, AC, fridge, sink and 22 gal water tank. Electric roof and fits in the garage. We only sleep in it and spend 90% of our time outside paddle boarding or kayaking and I got it dirt cheap and was paid for the day I bought it. I dont want anything bigger

I don’t own one, but my son in law has one we borrow at times along with his Ford F-350 Superduty dully diesel to pull it. My issue, its rather long when you add the truck to the equation.
B380A1A0-25F4-4D75-AEA1-D4153A650195.jpeg

Last edited:
Back