Any short guys out there fitted upright?

Mercer85

Reaction score
Handicap
I did a quick fitting with our pro at Dick's Sporting Goods one night last week and it came out 2* upright.

Now... I am 5'7". He was shocked when the heel toe tape showed that I needed to be 2* upright. So he put me in a 2 Up and I hit everything center of the clubface and the marks were in the middle of the heel toe tape.

Now granted it was a quick fitting and I should probably try to get a better fitting somewhere before buying irons, but it still had both of us really shocked. We both figured I would be flat.

Any other shorties out there hitting uprights?

Well I am 5'6" and I am hitting 2" flat. However I expect that the fitter did measure the distance from your wrists to the floor with hands at your side. If I am not mistaken whether you end up with flat or upright is as much dependent on the relationship between that measurement and height than anything else. So just for argument lets say that you have shorter arms then average for a 5'7" frame then I think that would likely result in an upright fitting even if you are 5'7". If the marks on the tape are in the middle instead of biased toward the toe or he heel then I guess 2" upright sounds right.

Height is only part of it. A short player can certainly need upright irons and a tall player can need flat irons. Swing plane is a bigger deal than static height.

Thanks guys... It was like I said a very quick fitting. The guy at Golf Galaxy today told me he would fit me at 50% off since I worked at Dicks and he has known me for a little while now. Being a smaller store, we simply don't have the equipment that Golf Galaxy has. They have the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, A system very similar to Trackman, but without the bells and whistles he explained along with many other pieces of equipment he would use. I would likely get the irons through a rep at a very good price so I wouldn't purchase them through the store, but still want to get a proper fitting sometime soon.

I am 5'10" tall. In Pings fitting system, I'm standard (black) from driver down to 8 iron, and then I'm 0.75 degrees up (blue) in short irons and wedges. All of my putters are bent 1.5 degrees up. This what works best for me.

Weird. I fitted a guy the other day, and he wanted to know how much he owed me for the fitting. I just let him go for free. I dont believe stores should charge people for fittings.

Thanks guys... It was like I said a very quick fitting. The guy at Golf Galaxy today told me he would fit me at 50% off since I worked at Dicks and he has known me for a little while now. Being a smaller store, we simply don't have the equipment that Golf Galaxy has. They have the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, A system very similar to Trackman, but without the bells and whistles he explained along with many other pieces of equipment he would use. I would likely get the irons through a rep at a very good price so I wouldn't purchase them through the store, but still want to get a proper fitting sometime soon.

Weird. I fitted a guy the other day, and he wanted to know how much he owed me for the fitting. I just let him go for free. I dont believe stores should charge people for fittings.

While part of me agrees, due to places like Ebay, they have to Junior. People come in, waste the fitter's time, getting their specs, then they rarely purchase from them. My fitter charges X amount to fit but takes it off the price of the clubs if you purchase from him. Makes sense to me.

Blue dot here in the PING system - 5'9 and change....

Yeah, I mean I can definitely understand it. In my store we dont really have the capabilities to do a ball or driver fitting(unless its right out of the TM Cart). But Iron fittings really dont talk all that much time. I guess my situation is a little different. I never thought of it like that.
While part of me agrees, due to places like Ebay, they have to Junior. People come in, waste the fitter's time, getting their specs, then they rarely purchase from them. My fitter charges X amount to fit but takes it off the price of the clubs if you purchase from him. Makes sense to me.

Same with mine. Fitting cost is off the price on any clubs bought. I get the loft and lie checked on all my clubs in the fall after the season is done, and have never been charged for that, but I've done business with the shop forever.

I did a quick fitting with our pro at Dick's Sporting Goods one night last week and it came out 2* upright.

Now... I am 5'7". He was shocked when the heel toe tape showed that I needed to be 2* upright. So he put me in a 2 Up and I hit everything center of the clubface and the marks were in the middle of the heel toe tape.

Now granted it was a quick fitting and I should probably try to get a better fitting somewhere before buying irons, but it still had both of us really shocked. We both figured I would be flat.

Any other shorties out there hitting uprights?

Hey Mercer talk to ChunkyLover77 he is the shortist guy i know and always tinkering with some thing :D

I'm 5'7" (barely) and just got fitted. 1 inch short and 2 degrees upright for me. I was surprised by this as well and questioned the pro who fit me.

Hey Mercer talk to ChunkyLover77 he is the shortist guy i know and always tinkering with some thing :D

Hey I resemble that remark! But I have a flat lie. Seriously though I see some of you guys posting that you are short and yet you are 5'9"? I would kill to be that height lol

The title of this had me thinking boxers or briefs. Ask M. Jordan!

I am 5'7" and have .5 inch short, 2 degrees upright. Guys regardless of their size all do it different ways, different attack angles.

I'm almost 5'10 and have 2 degrees upright as well. I've been fit twice for my irons within the past year and the most recent one confirmed what the original one said.

I'm 5'6, my irons are half inch short (although the same length as my stock DCI's are) and 1* flat.

Back