Any Sports Card Collectors here

I'll pick up random packs if I see them in the aisle. I still have 4 totes downstairs of cards I collected in the 80s/90s.

I was looking at picking up a 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens in PSA 10 last year but couldn't justify paying $1000 for itlastyear.For the heck of it I looked them up yesterday and the last one sold for $3700. Even back in November they were selling for $1500. Looks like I'll take a little break from collecting until the investors and flippers realize they're just buying and selling with each other and get bored and prices come back down.

Even a 1990-91 Jaromir Jagr OPC Premier PSA 10 now sells for $600! Don't these people realize that these cards from the early 90's were made by the 10's of millions?? I told my son that back in 90/91 I had over 50 of these cards (not PSA 10 as PSA was founded in 1991) and all my friends had lots as well. Supply will definitely outweigh the demand for these cards in the future and prices should drop. This was another card that back in November was selling for around $125.

I can understand some of the prices on the older stuff as it is scarcer but even ungraded cards are going for crazy prices in mint condition with the investors/flippers are buying and immediately getting graded and thrown on ebay hoping to cash in.

I'll stick to buying PSA graded turn of the century (1900's) Hall of Famers in lesser grades. Give me a 1909 Christy Mathewson any day over a 2020 Bowman Chrome Luis Patino Autographed Green Simmer refractor 1/99 PSA 10. It's a no brainer to me!

I was looking at picking up a 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens in PSA 10 last year but couldn't justify paying $1000 for itlastyear.For the heck of it I looked them up yesterday and the last one sold for $3700. Even back in November they were selling for $1500. Looks like I'll take a little break from collecting until the investors and flippers realize they're just buying and selling with each other and get bored and prices come back down.

Even a 1990-91 Jaromir Jagr OPC Premier PSA 10 now sells for $600! Don't these people realize that these cards from the early 90's were made by the 10's of millions?? I told my son that back in 90/91 I had over 50 of these cards (not PSA 10 as PSA was founded in 1991) and all my friends had lots as well. Supply will definitely outweigh the demand for these cards in the future and prices should drop. This was another card that back in November was selling for around $125.

I can understand some of the prices on the older stuff as it is scarcer but even ungraded cards are going for crazy prices in mint condition with the investors/flippers are buying and immediately getting graded and thrown on ebay hoping to cash in.

I'll stick to buying PSA graded turn of the century (1900's) Hall of Famers in lesser grades. Give me a 1909 Christy Mathewson any day over a 2020 Bowman Chrome Luis Patino Autographed Green Simmer refractor 1/99 PSA 10. It's a no brainer to me!

I read an article that those UD 89 Griffeys were just massively produced (I still have one). I looked the other day and Gem 10s are going for north of $2,000. There must be...a thousand of those Gem 10 89 Griffeys?

Regarding the crazy prices we're seeing, I don't know if they will go down.

I think some of this has to do with the rich getting richer and having absolutely insane amounts of cash to completely throw away on the most ludicrous things. I have noticed a similar trend watching the Mecum and Jackson Barrett car auctions - people are paying crazy money for cars right now as well.

The guy who bought that Mint 9 52 Mantle for $5 million+. There are 6 of those Mint 9 Mantles. It's not the rarest card around, but that dude still paid the most ever for it.

Guys spending $4 million on a Mike Trout? That card sold for $400k just 2 years ago (i feel so sorry for the person who sold it for $400k because had they sat on it they wouldn't have to work again).

I think a lot of this has to do with the Covid virus and the rich getting richer.

I also did read an article that said that a lot of guys who are now sitting at home have gotten back into their cards as they are stuck at home, so maybe you are right maybe it is just a fad right now.

I remember getting a complete set of 1991 Topps baseball cards for Christmas. I spent so much time looking at those cards and organizing them by team and batting lineup. I picked by first favorite baseball team by randomly selecting a card which happened to be a Toronto Blue Jays player. The Blue Jays were my favorite team for a few years until I became a Mariners fan. That decision has haunted me since.

I still have well over 6000 baseball cards. Most are from the 1990s and early 2000s. I am sure a few are worth a couple dollars, but nothing I can retire on.

As a kid growing up in Minnesota in the 50s and 60s, I collected baseball cards, mostly Yankees and (Milwaukee) Braves. I traded for a couple, but most of these came from many bubble gum packages, probably for a nickel each. I had many more but these are the only ones that escaped my mom throwing many others away, many moves and the passage of over a half century. I used to have three of those Mickey Mantle cards but gave one to a cardiologist (big Yankees fan) my wife worked with.

My favorites are the group and team cards. I have never had them graded or appraised so I have zero idea if they are worth much. At least I don't store them in a stack wrapped with a rubber band anymore.
17499b6c17a706718257767ce03f3c58.jpg
cec3efc38eb91e80fcd61936e9cbbad6.jpg
54f9118e64c52e7920fb4f8d968ec5c9.jpg
f636d366f3ff1efa24dc9a480fbcc418.jpg
1e21af6c82392726c3f1890ffd1fb8d4.jpg
fd4a309787705e1aeceb242010185eed.jpg

So strange this thread popped back up.

I was digging through an old box of cards and found a stash of Kobe RCs and some Tim Duncan's. A number of the Kobes appear to be Gem 10s...went to a local card store and he said PSA has stopped taking in cards to be graded for at least until June or July. :mad:

Getting ready for a move and found my old trunk of cards. Crazy. No time to send them into PSA to get them graded but might try to sell them all as a lot. Even found a Kobe rookie. Plenty of jordans...a whole book of Rickey Henderson etc.

Memories.

Back