Any tips for dealing with down leaves?

Reaction score
Handicap
My last round I must have lost 6 balls in the fairway and first cut of rough due to down leaves. The courses cannot keep up with the falling leaves this time of year in the northeast.

Any tips for not losing so many balls this time of year? I've tried yellow balls and they seem to hurt more than help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something that really frustrates me in the fall. Different colored golf balls tend to blend in with the leaves more than a white one. What i typically do is pick something specific near where my ball landed and i think it is so that when i start looking for it im not too far off to start

I Play cheaper balls when all the leaves are down

My group usually agrees to allow dropping one with out penalty if it was obvious it wasnt going ob or in a hazard

I will play cheaper balls and I also put my truvis balls away. As previously mentioned, a solid white ball is easiest for me to find.

Cheaper balls, period. I put the Pro V's away as soon as the leaves come down. It's not worth losing a $5 ball for someone to casually pick up later on that day. Drives me nuts lol. Noodles, Pinnacles, Nike SFTS, whatever is cheap and still gets the job done.

Hit it in the middle :D

Lost close to 13 balls in a weekend because of this a couple of weeks ago. I play cheaper balls in the fall to lessen the pain. Saw someone post once about a guy bringing a portable leafblower with him to find his ball. Thought that was interesting.

Lost close to 13 balls in a weekend because of this a couple of weeks ago. I play cheaper balls in the fall to lessen the pain. Saw someone post once about a guy bringing a portable leafblower with him to find his ball. Thought that was interesting.

I'd like to see that in operation.

I'd like to see that in operation.

My thoughts too. Would be fun to watch for sure. Haha.

this is why i pick up lost balls during the year, so i can lose them under leaves and plugged in mud or 4 inch rough

Just try to keep my eye on the ball as well as possible and hope for the best when I get to the area where I know the ball landed.

I give it about 20 seconds of searching. Then drop another. I play surlyn so I'm not too concerned.

My last round I must have lost 6 balls in the fairway and first cut of rough due to down leaves. The courses cannot keep up with the falling leaves this time of year in the northeast.

Any tips for not losing so many balls this time of year? I've tried yellow balls and they seem to hurt more than help.

I put away the colored balls September 1st. Just can't find them.

This year the majority of the fallen leaves around here are yellow/brown in colour. I have been using a pink coloured ball and have not had many problems finding it.

I think cheaper balls are the way to go too... 50 Elites are pretty nice.

Dave

Pops and I lost 5 balls on one hole this year. I have no shame throwing in a pink ladies ball if it's really bad. It's usually a quality. All at reasonable price so loosing them isn't a big deal.

Cheap golf balls, friendly leaf rule, go out and have fun!

I use inexpensive balls anyways so it's not a huge deal for me to drop after a 30 second search. I'll make every effort to watch my ball all the way through if I'm walking solo. Once the leaves start coming down in MA, I tend to lose a lot more balls than usual BUT I also tend to find a lot more just from kicking the leaves around when I search for my own.

That does help, along with just using cheap balls like everyone is saying. I think I'll buy some extra today in case I get behind the same couple that spends way too long looking for their ball in the leaves, I'll give them a new one if they will move on.

I forgot that just playing a links style course helps as well this time of year, if you have one near by.

That helps but isn't foolproof. I hit two right down the middle Monday that I couldn't find. One was a 5 iron second shot on a par 5 that was perfect - it went over a rise right at the middle of the fairway and I just could not find it due to all the debris/leaves. The second was a nice long drive on 18 that I tracked but couldn't find when I got up there. Too much stuff.

So frustrating. Never had to deal with it AZ but now I can't stand it!

Back