Anybody ever replaced your 3 wood with a 4 wood?

kappa1032

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious to see if anybody's had this experience. I've only been able to hit the 3 wood off the tee since I can never seem to get it in the air off the turf consistently, most likely due to my low swing speed.

I've heard that some have had better success going with a 4 wood instead but don't know anybody personally that's done that. Would love to hear thoughts and/or experiences in making the switch.

Yeah I switched to a 16.5* fairway wood a few years ago. I absolutely love it.

I've been doing this for some time.

It actually started for me when I had an original Steelhead 3W that I loved till I caved in the face. Never hit its replacement as well off the deck, and I learned it had a longer shaft and the Steelhead was 16 degrees vs the usual 15 or less for most 3 woods. Ever since I've looked for 16-17 deg for that slot. It covers what used to be the 3 and 5 wood and frees up a spot for a wedge.

With adjustable FWs, many will loft a 5W down to 4W loft.

this for some time.
With adjustable FWs, many will loft a 5W down to 4W loft.
Oh that's a good point...might have to consider doing that instead. Seems like there's so many options and variations with FW woods, it's overwhelming. I like the idea of getting a 4 wood and removing my 3 and 5 woods from the bag completely.

Oh that's a good point...might have to consider doing that instead. Seems like there's so many options and variations with FW woods, it's overwhelming. I like the idea of getting a 4 wood and removing my 3 and 5 woods from the bag completely.
I actually still play a 5w, and it's probably my favorite, most consistent club in my bag. 3w is set at 16.5, and 5w is set at 20*.

I actually still play a 5w, and it's probably my favorite, most consistent club in my bag. 3w is set at 16.5, and 5w is set at 20*.

Nothing wrong with doing that, but for most that loft is more like 7W / 3H.

Nothing wrong with doing that, but for most that loft is more like 7W / 3H.
Correct. Except it's longer. I don't carry a 3h. I go from the 20* 5w to a 23* utility iron.

I had 15* 3w and adjustable 5w at 18.5*. Sold 3w and cranked 5w to 17*. Love it.

Similar to what everyone saying.
I was never good enough to hit a 15* wood from fairway. I recently bought a Epic Flash 15* and loft it to +2 with 42” shaft.
So far I am having better result with it.
It fit good between my driver and 3H 20*.
I guess it should count as 4wood with 17*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only fairway in my bag is a 17*, and it's been that way for a long time. The current club is adjustable (TEE EX9 Tour), but I've been happy with it at the standard 17* setting.

I have a 13* three wood that I actually think of as a 2 wood. It's great for short tight par four holes. And occasionally use it on 2nd shots on par 5's but I do need a good lie to hit it. I also have a 16* 4 wood that is easy to hit off the deck so one could argue that it is weak 3 wood. Whatever you call them they work for me.

I tried it for about a year in order to carry a 4th wedge. It left too large a gap between my driver and 4-wood; plus it didn't really give me the versatility off the tee box vs. a 3-wood. I wound up getting a strong 3-wood and strong hybrid, then dropped my 3-iron for a weaker hybrid. With the wedges, I now carry a 58 and a 53 and feel like I've got great gap coverage and great versatility throughout my bag.

Yes I've done this in the past to have one fairway in the bag.

I ultimately back since I didnt like the gap between driver and fairway and I really didnt gain anything over my 3 wood.

If you need more launch it makes sense. But figure out your gapping and what you need at that portion of the bag.

I played a 4W for years, much preferred to a 3W.

Original TE Exotics 4W/7W combo then switched to a Callaway Optiforce 4W.

Have since mostly played hybrids but the Cally 4W has been back in the bag for my last 5 or so rounds.

I swapped out the 3w for a 5w this year and have been happy with the change. My reason for doing so was for gapping purposes and there wasn't much of a gap with the driver/3w and then a big gap to the 4 hybrid. Switching to a 5w has made it much more even and I use it way more often than I ever used my 3w.

What about distance loss from 3w to 4w or is there any? Also what would a 5w do if you used a 3w length shaft in it? The old heavenwoods were 7w with 5w length right?

Ping G400 FT with Tensei orange reg flex shaft
Callaway Rogue 3w Even Flow blue 55 reg flex shaft
Ping G400 7 wood Tensei orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2 hybrid UST Recoil reg flex shaft
Ping G410 4&5 hybrids UST Recoil shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pros 6-pw Recoil F3 95 shafts
Or
Ping G700 5-UW Recoil 780 F3 shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 SW,LW recoil F3 95 shafts
Ping Craz-e center shaft putter

Yes, my first involvement in THP was people recommending me to go for a rogue 4w and it has been a major improvement from the old TM 3w

I'm actually going the other way. I am going to replace my 5W with a 3W, as my 4H is close enough for argument's sake with the 5W.

I had removed my 3W because I could not hit it off the deck, but I believe I have developed the skills to be able to do that now.

I didnt do a 4-wood but I replaced mine with a 5-wood and couldnt be happier. I find that I hit it almost as long and am much more consistent with it than I ever was with my 3-wood.

I'm actually going the other way. I am going to replace my 5W with a 3W, as my 4H is close enough for argument's sake with the 5W.

I had removed my 3W because I could not hit it off the deck, but I believe I have developed the skills to be able to do that now.
So just got back from an insightful fitting. The 5W I tried was too close in distance to my 3H that it didn't make much sense to get it - plus my 3H is the most consistent club. I ended up picking up a 15 deg 3W that wasn't too hard to hit off the deck after adjusting the loft +1. Had to special order it since they didn't have the specific head/shaft combo off the rack so I'll update once I get it!

I’ve been using a 4+ and 2h but both are pretty close in distance. I actually prefer the 2h.

I switched to a 16.5 4W last season. I actually hit 3W pretty well, but the 4W is easier off the deck. I don't really lose any distance from the fairway. I do lose about 10 yards off the tee.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ditched my 3w during my first year. I was never able to hit it properly.

I lost my 5w up to a 4w and it’s been one of my most consistent clubs.

I switched this year from 10 year old 3w and 5w to a much more modern 4w and heavenwood. Both are easier to hit than the clubs they replaced, and I haven't noticed much if any loss of distance from the higher lofts in the newer clubs.

Back