Anybody like Jeeps?

MO_Hacker

At the drag strip
Reaction score
Handicap
DragRacing
My other hobby is my Jeep Wrangler, although it has been neglected since I picked up the golf clubs again. If I had been playing golf I probably wouldn't have even bought another jeep. Oh well, hopefully this winter I will find the time to start working on it again. I am planning on a V8 and an auto tranny for it.

DSC_0003-3.jpg

My daughter thinks they're 'cute'. :tongue:

OK - so what's the buildup plan?

LS1 - 4L60E - Atlas - Spidertrax axles - 4 link - King coilovers (c'mon, you know you wanna, who wouldn't?)

I've thought about getting one. Just as a daily driver and not a build up toy. I've got a buddy that has one and he's done a few mods to it but it's still pretty stock.

I tell ya. If you want an offroad capable vehicle, that's easy to mod, wicked reliable, and has a strong aftermarket following, nothing can beat a TJ. Since gas went up, they can be had for a song too.

My daughter thinks they're 'cute'. :tongue:

OK - so what's the buildup plan?

LS1 - 4L60E - Atlas - Spidertrax axles - 4 link - King coilovers (c'mon, you know you wanna, who wouldn't?)

The plan is 5.3L/4L60e, Ford 8.8 rearend with disc brakes, tube fenders and crusher corners. It has a 1" body lift on it and I want to run 35" tires without anymore lift.

Right now it's sitting on 30's with a 4 cyl/ 5 spd. By far the slowest POS I've ever owned, aerodynamics of a brick with no hp, it's a pain in the arse to drive on the streets.BTW it only gets about 12 mpg.

If you want one as a daily driver def. look at the TJ, the coil vs. leaf suspension has to be easier on the kidneys'.

5.3, 4L60E is a good choice. Sticking with the 231 case?

I'd do a 9" long before I did an 8.8 (which is marginally better than a D44, and still a C-Clip axle) but, you can put the disc brake setup off from an Explorer (w/ parking brake) onto the 9" (just turn down the flange to fit in the rotor hat)

35's with no lift is cool. I ran 38's on my EB with no lift. Some BTF corners would do you well in this respect, you can cut up higher, and even move the wheels back if you like (longer wheelbase = good) Tube fenders or a high hood can buy you clearance enough. I would encourage you to replace the front coil buckets and shock mounts, so you can get some deeper ones, to run longer springs and shocks for more droop. I can't remember the application on the buckets, but F250 shock mounts for the shocks are popular.

I think I can use a 231C transfer case, I'll have to check. I forgot to add the SYE also.
I figured I would use the Explorer 8.8, it can be done with a min. of fab work. I think it should hold up pretty good for what I'll use it for.

I've also thought about just going with a 5.7L TBI set up, if so I'll use a 700R4 tranny..
the thought of trying to get the computer wired up for the LSX motor has me a little scared.

The wiring is the easiest part. If you're not a wiring nut, you can buy plug-n-play harnesses from plenty of places, so all you have to do is terminate a power, ground, and signal wire.

Nothing wrong with the 8.8, I'm just not a big fan of any C-clip axle (I can break anything)

The 5.7 TBI is even easier than the 5.3 to setup, and parts are every-freakin-where for them. Same for the 700.

Another cool option is to do a 5.0/C4/D20 swap, like an EB has. There's now plenty of stuff for that swap nowadays too.

I've seen a couple of Hemi's from late model cars shoehorned into a TJ and a CJ. Very cool.

I've also seen a TJ with a Cummins 4BT in it. Only 105HP, but near 400 ft lb of torque with just a little tuning.

If you're on JU or something like that, run. Pirate only seems scary at first, but there's TONS of tech there, and loads of resources. A red star is well worth the $20 for the search features and giveaways. I won a set of Dedenbaer knuckles there a couple years back.

I get on Pirate all the time, well I used to before I got bit by the golf bug again. Some of the fab skills those guys display are outrageous. One of them is putting a Isuzu diesel in his YJ, he has to have access to a full machine shop.

I think I might just pay somebody to do the swap for me, I don't think I have the skills to get it done. Everybody says it is pretty straight forward but, I don't know, plus space is an issue.

Being leery of jumping into a swap is understandable, but space would be the dealbreaker for me.

My house doesn't have a garage, so any work I do is on a gravel drive, or I haul it out to my folks' place (120 miles away) to work on it. I have access to a 40'x40' shop there, and most of my tools are there anyhow.

I'm a very meticulous person by nature, and working in a small space makes me nuts when tripping over stuff all the time (I never let my tools get scattered around, having a few tools in my work cart is messy for me) Being frustrated really lights my temper up, and all of a sudden, doing the kind of work I love, becomes 'not fun'.

NickNames .?

NickNames .?

I got on another board where vehicles were brought up and all the women
mentioned they had nicknames for their vehicles.
. When a guy posted a pic just like the 1st post, most also mentioned names for their Jeeps? Aquired this Black G.C.L. about 4 years ago in central Fla from the original lady owner who had it Loaded. Hubby just got the fancy wheels/ tires on & week later spotted a New Van she wanted for kids. V-8 318 EFI, leather, HEATED MIRRORs in Fla .! He took out mega Amp music box, I didnt need. My V-8 mid 80's GM OLDS was acting up.
GOld Honeycomb orig set of rims inc also , slight pitted.
. Impressed with Jeep & local club devotion. Got lead on church truck that turned out to be 1959 WILLY's Flat fender , fat fender ,conversion from California Forest Service Pick-up truck .Guy had shop take out 6v / engine install v-8 283 " chevy 2 barrell, dual exhaust. Everything else orig . Had SPLIT windshield. Brake lines rusted away. Engine ran, 10 Leaf spring, orig green paint , some door rust . Never got lines installed. Hurricane came blew over carport crushing top . Sort of got insurance home owner on partial house roof. Disappointed had to give away , when selling house to move two states away. Would have been cool Street rod.

Split, we used to have a Cherokee, my wife loved it. We bought it with a salvage title, had been wrecked hard, drove the crap out of it. My wife was in an accident with it, got the hood, both front fenders, front bumper, radiator and passenger side wheel/tire. Insurance paid to fix it and we ended up selling it. That was probably my favorite SUV that we've owned.

The wrangler is my second short wheelbase Jeep, the other was an 84 CJ7, I think I like the current one better it just needs me to get motivated to finish it.

Gummi I'm not in much better shape than you are as far as space goes. I have a one car garage and with the Jeep in it's a p.i.a. to get around. I did put the body lift on in my garage but it was a tight fit getting the jacks moved around to work on it.
My father in law has a 60x80 machine shed with a concrete floor but he hasn't offered to let me bring the Jeep over there to work on it.

Greetings all - I was invited here by my buddy, Split! Though we have never formally met, he and I have a mutual admiration society! Here are a few recent pics of my Jeep Wrangler 2000. This past weekend, I formally baptised him.

Before...

100_0947.jpg

100_0946.jpg

After...

Just before the "After"!
100_1295.jpg

The real after!
100_1319.jpg

100_1320.jpg

It only took 6 cleanings to get it back to normal! Why does everyone like their Jeeps dirty?! My wife and I love taking Saturday night Jeep rides, and I really appreciate the cost of gas going down! :alien2:

i drive a silver liberty myself. my dad has owned a ton of jeeps ever since he was a teenager. right now we have my liberty and a 1994 green wrangler with a good sized lift, some decent mudding tires, chrome accents, a nice brushguard, and an awesome suspension system. not to mention we got it with 500 miles on it and payed $3,000 for the jeep. the other stuff costed like $2,000 altogether. so we have a sick green monster for $5,000. next time its sunny and we get it cleaned up, i will get pics. im hoping to get a new soft top and a new radio put in it for christmas

Foliage .?

Foliage .?

GB; Looks like you came & ripped up my driveway. Those colored trees look
identical . They dont have those colors in Florida (License Plate ) .?:confused2: Where were you .! I got a good Baptism joke for ya .
Gas $1.86 here in S. Tn.
Those are nice big pics you posted . Have to tell us in the Photography thread what you used & stored.
. That Bad boy have a "Handle" .? "Fancy Wheels-Pulled CHeryl -FancyII
down to the cove last week for a 78 degree fishing picnic. Glass water, but colors brighter in back yard.

I stick to the rocks mostly nowadays.

2uqf1uv.jpg

This pic was taken a few months before I tore it down. It's sitting until I can get the time and money to restore it, and build a rock/prerunner buggy out of the drivetrain parts.

Split - I had some training to do in Alabama, and while there made the trek to our property outside of Chattanooga to catch the foilage. I will make it over the the Photography thread to see what I can share. I don't call him by name often, but Butkus seems to suit him.

GB; Looks like you came & ripped up my driveway. Those colored trees look
identical . They dont have those colors in Florida (License Plate ) .?:confused2: Where were you .! I got a good Baptism joke for ya .
Gas $1.86 here in S. Tn.
Those are nice big pics you posted . Have to tell us in the Photography thread what you used & stored.
. That Bad boy have a "Handle" .? "Fancy Wheels-Pulled CHeryl -FancyII
down to the cove last week for a 78 degree fishing picnic. Glass water, but colors brighter in back yard.

My dad had a 83 CJ-5 or 7 dont remember but since then we have had a 94 Cherokee sport a 96 grand Cherokee and now they have a 2003 Grand Cherokee. so as you can tell they (and I) love jeeps. I have actually been looking into my friend from work's old jeep its a 84 CJ

I have an '09 Wrangler Unlimited with a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 16" Pro Comp alloy wheels, 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers (going to 35s soon), MBRP exhaust, Superchips Flashpaq and a K&N drop-in. Other than that, she's stock

I have an 02 Wrangler Apex no fancy bells or whistles. The she is

y3aguby6.jpg

Huge fan of Jeeps - had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7 V8 in College - had offroad tires on it and went offroading quite a bit...sold it to my dads Chiropractor abour 5 years ago - still going strong as far as I know.

The Laredo was amazing in snow, mud, lugging stuff - just great- had a custom sound system with sub - great vehicle.

In 2007 I went out and picked up a CPO 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Edition - not an offroader at all but my God what a beast of a machine - upgraded various parts and had just under 500 AWD HP - used to smoke Corvettes and Porsches like it was my day job HAHA....Unfortunately due to flooding from Sandy the SRT8 ended up under 6 ft. of water RIP :(

I now lease a 2013 Ford Edge - great all around vehicle for sure.

Huge fan of Jeeps - had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7 V8 in College - had offroad tires on it and went offroading quite a bit...sold it to my dads Chiropractor abour 5 years ago - still going strong as far as I know.

The Laredo was amazing in snow, mud, lugging stuff - just great- had a custom sound system with sub - great vehicle.

In 2007 I went out and picked up a CPO 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Edition - not an offroader at all but my God what a beast of a machine - upgraded various parts and had just under 500 AWD HP - used to smoke Corvettes and Porsches like it was my day job HAHA....Unfortunately due to flooding from Sandy the SRT8 ended up under 6 ft. of water RIP :(

I now lease a 2013 Ford Edge - great all around vehicle for sure.

I always wanted to drive one of those SRT8 Grand Cherokees. Even though they weren't off-road oriented, great looking machines. Black I presume?

I always wanted to drive one of those SRT8 Grand Cherokees. Even though they weren't off-road oriented, great looking machines. Black I presume?

Silver actuall. The rarest color made. Less than 500.

Back