Anyone carry a 3, 5 and 7 wood

jubess

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi. I've decided to switch to XXIO driver and fairways. I'm 56 in good shape but I have a slow swing speed. Does anyone carry a 3, 5 and 7 wood? I don't get along with hybrids that much so I'm considering going with this set up.

only 3 and 5W, then on to 4i for me

Hi. I've decided to switch to XXIO driver and fairways. I'm 56 in good shape but I have a slow swing speed. Does anyone carry a 3, 5 and 7 wood? I don't get along with hybrids that much so I'm considering going with this set up.

Wiith a slow swing speed, do you get enough carry from the 3 wood?

I went with a 4,5,7 setup for a few years. But with today's 40g shafts and low kickpoints, I can see where a 3 wood can get better carry.

What I did was put 1 inch between clubs as to shaft length - 43, 42, 41 inches. You may need to speciify swingweight, depending on shaft weight, etc.

What I found is that I really like a 5 wood, and the 3/4 wood was great off the tee and I got better off the fairway as my swing and speed increased. But I had great confidence iin the 5 wd.

Eventually, I found a hybrid I liked to replace the 7 wd. But it took 20 years to find a hybrid I love - and OMG, it is a PXG Hybrid Gen 1. But the kicker is the right shaft -- it makes all the difference - for me it was the Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Red 70. The hybrid is more accurate, consistent, gets up high, and is better out of the rough. But it was a loooong journey.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m gaming a 3 5 7 wood set up this year. I find the 7 wood better for my game than a hybrid.

I like the 7 wood on long par 3. I can hit it from 175-185. Also coming in to some long Par 4's. I like the 5 wood on par 5 lay ups with under 300 yards to the green. If over 300 yards I'll use the 3 wood. I also like the 3 wood on teeing off on some tight Par 4's. The 7 wood is also good out of the rough.

I did for several years. I got along quite well with a 7 wood (4 iron replacement). It is easy to hit, elevate and hold a green. I play a 4H at the moment but could easily go back to a 7W

Are you going with the X series or the 11? Sounds like the 11 series will be in your wheelhouse. They make great stuff.

I am 55 and have carried a 3 and 5 wood basically my entire golfing life. I also carried a 7 wood for about 3 years and still occasionally put it in the bag in place of a 4 hybrid or 4 iron.

I used to game a 3,5,7 wood combo and it worked well. I’m currently playing a 4hy in place of the 7 wood but would not have any problems going back to a 7 wood.

I went with the 11 series. I found some good deals online.

3 wood only and the hybrids.
The older I get I may consider 5 and 7 wood.

At the top of my bag I'm currently playing D -> 5W -> 5H. I still carry my old 3W, but haven't used it in months...my current 5W is longer and I hit it more consistently.

3 wood only and the hybrids.
The older I get I may consider 5 and 7 wood.

I figured if Tiger carried a 5 wood, that was good enough for me. But the fact is while I can get a 5 wood high in the air, a 17 hybrid is no bueno. My next step is a 19 Hy with a high launching, mid spin shaft. I looked at the TEE EXS 220 Hy and that head is big enough to offer confidence yet still get through some rough.

3/15, 5/18,7/22

don’t use my 3w much, probably need lighter shaft to be on par w my 5w and 7w.

I switched to 4w and 7w this year. It has worked out very well! My 7w is same length as my 4 hybrid but is alot more forgiving. So pulled the hybrids out.

Just do the 3 and 5 wood. I will eventually hit a seven wood.

I have considered many times putting a 7 wood in the bag. If callaway made a sub zero 7 wood. It would have happened.

I went with 4W, 7W. I used to carry a 3 wood. But, I found a 4 wood carried as far as the 3 wood and had better trajectory.

I carry a 3 wood adjusted to a 4 wood loft, a 5 wood and a V-series Heavenwood.

I've got a 3w and a 7w. I wasn't able to find a matching 5w for my clubs... I've seen one recently but would rather have all new clubs instead of a 10 year old club still in plastic for $78.:oops:

Back