Anyone carry an "opposite handed" club?

CanaryKid

Reaction score
Handicap
Admittedly a light hearted question, but with an element of seriousness. Does anyone carry an opposite handed club in their bag; e.g. a left handed club for a right handed player?

I ask because, recently, I have twice found my ball in a position where, due to its proximity to a tree, I had no reasonable shot as a right handed player, but a lefty would at least have been able to get the ball out onto the fairway. I have space in my bag for another club and so I could carry a left handed club ... but I bet that, if I did, I would either never need it or else I would mess up the lefty shot when it was needed. And what club should it be for versatility ... PW?

Any thoughts?

ive really really thought about it since I usually only carry 13 clubs... but i haven't just yet mostly because the occasion doesn't come up as often as I thought it did haha. if it does come up, I switch the club over (low loft like 3-5 iron) and hit it. sometimes I will just hit it with the muscle of the back since I play blades

Way too situational to fill a spot in the bag. I find myself in a spot where I need a left handed club 1-2 times a season if that. I'd rather take a stroke those 1-2 times a year as a worse case scenario opposed to taking up 1 of 14 precious spots in the bag. Just my 2 cents.

Way too situational to fill a spot in the bag. I find myself in a spot where I need a left handed club 1-2 times a season if that. I'd rather take a stroke those 1-2 times a year as a worse case scenario opposed to taking up 1 of 14 precious spots in the bag. Just my 2 cents.

My thoughts exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.

I haven't. But if there was an open spot, I think a 7 or 8 iron would work.

I have flipped over a wedge and used that before. Sometimes works, sometimes not as good!

No but now you've put the idea in my head which means 14 additional potential clubs so LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING SHOPPING

Haha... I just turn a wedge over and hit it left handed if I need to. I don't run cross this enough to tie up a spot in the bag with a lefty club.

I never have and never will carry a left handed club.
I have gotten pretty good and standing backwards to the target and hitting the ball with just my right hand.
Over the years, I have even holed a couple of chips this way. It works well to get back to the fairway as well.
I used this shot this last weekend and got the ball on the green to save par.

Like this...

I use the backward shot as well like the Kuch video above.

Anyone giving up a slot in the bag for a wrong handed club needs a "come on man".
That's like the time I was in a scramble with a buddy and we had a ball on the green and he wanted to play a bunker shot over the lag putt. I nearly slapped him.

I've always just flipped my 7 or 8 iron over to play the rare lefty shot. Thanks for sharing the Kuchar video, I've never considered doing it that way. Looks a lot easier than what I've been doing. In fact I've been doing it for years without really thinking of playing official shots that way. Whenever I chip a shag bag full of balls out I'll hit them backwards toward my shag bag (exact same shot as Kuch's) as I'm walking out to retrieve them. Most end up pretty close to my shag bag without even trying hard.

Watson put this one to a foot in 2014.

I always carry a left foot wedge to go with my right ;).

No, I make use of the 14 I have and would not sacrafice any of them for a club I would have a need for once in a blue moon. Highly doubt I would be in a situation more than once every 100 or more rounds that I would benefit from hitting a ball with a LH club.

I take an unplayable lie and my 1 stroke.

Might have to try the Watson/Kuch style next time. Luckily was a switch hitter in baseball. Give me a toe down, flipped club.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Admittedly a light hearted question, but with an element of seriousness. Does anyone carry an opposite handed club in their bag; e.g. a left handed club for a right handed player?

I ask because, recently, I have twice found my ball in a position where, due to its proximity to a tree, I had no reasonable shot as a right handed player, but a lefty would at least have been able to get the ball out onto the fairway. I have space in my bag for another club and so I could carry a left handed club ... but I bet that, if I did, I would either never need it or else I would mess up the lefty shot when it was needed. And what club should it be for versatility ... PW?

Any thoughts?

Use Dave Pelz's backward wedge shot. I practice this and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I do not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a putter that works from either side. Love that SeeMore. Other than that, no opposite handed clubs

Well, being a high handicapper, I have found myself in that situation enough to consider the op's question. The last two times I have flipped a sand wedge over and hit left handed with a good result back to the fairway. I never thought about the one handed backwards shot, though. Thanks for sharing that!

Back