Anyone compare the Callaway MD4 vs the new MD5 Jaws?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been playing the Callaway MD4 wedges for more than a year and they seem to be excellent.

I recently switched to the Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 wedge and there are some things I really like about it, but I don't see any better spin numbers or results with it compared to my MD4. They both have the similar shafts and are the same lofts. The one thing I've noticed about the Eye2 is that it is a little easier to maintain your club path when hitting a ball out of the rough. This may be due to the fact that head feels a little heavier than the MD4. However, I think I feel more in-control with the MD4 on those touch shots around the green. It's probably because I've been playing them for so long they feel like they are extension of my arms.

Just wondering if there is any reason to consider the MD5's at this point in time?

I did a direct comparison on my SkyTrak with brand new sets of MD4's and MD5's. No real difference. Same shafts and lofts/lie/grinds in both sets.

I did a direct comparison on my SkyTrak with brand new sets of MD4's and MD5's. No real difference. Same shafts and lofts/lie/grinds in both sets.

At what distances?

i think @radiman posted some comparison pics and the shapes seemed to be subtly different.

At what distances?

At the distances I hit my own wedges. Your results may vary, but for me and my swing with LW, SW, and GW there were no huge differences. MD4 won in spin on LW (by a large margin) and MD5 won on SW and GW but only by a very small margin. Nothing in any of the results suggests MD5 is superior. Speaks to how great the MD4's are.

Results could easily flip if I tested again. It's all dependent on strike and that's so variable that results will always bare that out. For me there is no discernible difference between the two other than red vs blue colorways.

At the distances I hit my own wedges. Your results may vary, but for me and my swing with LW, SW, and GW there were no huge differences. MD4 won in spin on LW (by a large margin) and MD5 won on SW and GW but only by a very small margin. Nothing in any of the results suggests MD5 is superior. Speaks to how great the MD4's are.

Results could easily flip if I tested again. It's all dependent on strike and that's so variable that results will always bare that out. For me there is no discernible difference between the two other than red vs blue colorways.
Mark Crossfield did a test recently and his conclusion was that just about every new wedge he’s hit over the last decade performs the same in regards to spin and had the same thought as you. it was more important to have new, clean groves than anything else. I wish I could find that video.

I hit both in a bay at PGASS today while killing time before lunch.

I got slightly higher spin with the MD4s, but the JAWS felt better to me. A little softer/less clicky.

Mark Crossfield did a test recently and his conclusion was that just about every new wedge he’s hit over the last decade performs the same in regards to spin and had the same thought as you. it was more important to have new, clean groves than anything else. I wish I could find that video.

Yeah I saw that too and fully agree. Honestly the REAL difference in the MD5's is the reduced size of the 48 and 54 degree wedges compared to the same MD4's. I can certainly see a reduced face height between the two models. Functionally though my results showed they perform the same. As always your results may be different. It's not a dig on the MD5's, I think it just proves the MD4's are functionally great wedges.

Back