Anyone else struggle hitting irons and woods off a tee?

pmata814

Reaction score
Handicap
Anytime i’m on a par 3, or if i tee off with anything other than driver, i have to do it off the deck. If I try to use a tee i always mishit it. I either come under it, or hit way off the toe. Driver is the only club i can it with a tee. Anyone else struggle with this? It’s like if the ground helps me measure the bottom of the arc on my swing. Which gets thrown off by a tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the ball get airborne? Serious Question...
  1. It is struck by a descending blow from the club and spin lifts the ball like a wing lifts an airplane OR
  2. It is launched up when a golf club slides under the ball and propels it up and forward

How does the ball get airborne? Serious Question...
  1. It is struck by a descending blow from the club and spin lifts the ball like a wing lifts an airplane OR
  2. It is launched up when a golf club slides under the ball and propels it up and forward

It starts with a forward movement and then lift. drag and weight will take effect.

It starts with a forward movement and then lift. drag and weight will take effect.
Yes, of course the guy with the screen name Bernoulli would get it. 😂 My main point was that a lot of people think that you have to hit up on the ball to get it airborne, when in fact, you need to hit down on it with a descending strike.

I’m trying to hit down on it when i’m using irons. Trying to sweep when i use woods. But i just find it very hard to gauge the bottom of the swing, despite me only teeing it up just a little off the ground. Tees are supposed to make it easier right?

@pmata814: Do you have trouble finding the bottom when the ball's sitting directly on the ground?

My main point was that a lot of people think that you have to hit up on the ball to get it airborne, when in fact, you need to hit down on it with a descending strike.
The way our instructor put it was something like "You're not trying to scoop the ball up off the ground, but simply swing through the ball and let the club face do the work of getting it launched."

But perhaps that was beginner instruction? It was, after all, a beginner class :). Later, in response to a question in the intermediate class, he allowed as how, yes, the pros raise divots all the time, but, if you watch closely you'll find those divots are raised after the ball's hit, not before it. The implication there of course being they strike down on the ball.

No trouble without tees. Take my divot in front (like ur supposed to)

Anytime i’m on a par 3, or if i tee off with anything other than driver, i have to do it off the deck. If I try to use a tee i always mishit it. I either come under it, or hit way off the toe. Driver is the only club i can it with a tee. Anyone else struggle with this? It’s like if the ground helps me measure the bottom of the arc on my swing. Which gets thrown off by a tee.

That is because your swing arc is already on the upswing....... and your body is beginning to turn away from the ball pulling the toe towards the ball.

Practice hitting down on the backside of the ball.

Then stand back and admire the nice ball flight that it develops. ;)

Back