Anyone ever seen a Tour player shopping at a local golf store?

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I was just in PGA SS and was seeing all of their photos advertising equipment and wondered. I've never seen one other than at an OEM sponsored event or demo type situation.

I believe KJ Choi bought a set of irons to play with at a golf Galaxy right before the Memorial either last year or the year before.

there was a video floating around of bubba showing up at a california shop to do a random challenge in the driver pay and putting green. he then autographed a cardboard image of him and bought a hybrid to take to a course

No, but I saw Tom Watson shopping at a drug store about 23 years ago.

While not a pro golfer, but Lucas Black the actor show up at a small golf shop in Columbia MO. I have never personally seen him, but have a buddy who works there that talks about it. He would come in with a Mizzou golfer who is on the Web.Com tour not sure of his name though.

10-15 years ago, my bro was walking out of a quickie mart, 7-11 or something similar. And, as he is leaving, another gentleman is walking in. My bro does a double-take, walks back in, and goes up to they guy, "Excuse me, Are you Curtis Strange?". Strange replies, "Yes.". My bro says, "I thought so. Just wnated to make sure. Have a nice day."

I was a member of National Hills Baptist Church in Augusta and Barnhard Langer came to the Sunday morning service. I was singing in the choir when the preacher announced we had a special guest today. By the way, he won the Masters that afternoon. :thumb:

I was a member of National Hills Baptist Church in Augusta and Barnhard Langer came to the Sunday morning service. I was singing in the choir when the preacher announced we had a special guest today. By the way, he won the Masters that afternoon. :thumb:

Must of been the singing partner!

I've never run into anyone, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time..........:act-up:

Just once a several years ago. My son was working at a 2nd Swing Golf store and Sean O'Hare came in to trade in a some stuff very early in his career.

At my local pro shop I remember them telling me Tommy "Two Gloves" coming into the shop for some accessories.

I didn't get to see him, but a few years back Jim Furyk spent $39 on a used putter at Joe and Leigh's while playing at TPC Boston then later used it to win the FedEx Cup.

I bought a putter there for $25 and I haven't even won a Nassau.

No. But...

...I saw Rocky Graziano buying aquarium fish at a pet store....

Angel Cabrera, Andres Romero, and Tommy Gainey shop at my store in Humble, Tx. several times a year
Steve Elkington at the old Joe's Golf in North Houston
KJ Choi at Golf Galaxy in The Woodlands, Tx.
Jeff Maggert at Academy Sports in Spring, Tx.

I saw Arnold Palmer & his pilot @ Walmart a few years ago. He was asking pharmacist about lotion for chapped hands

The pro's go dirwctly to their sponsors HQ and get fitted or have stuff delivered. They generally don't buy clubs.

I was in a PGA Superstore last year in Florida and Beth Daniel was there shopping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just a few minor run-ins for me:

- scott hoch and jim thorpe were standing next to me in baggage claim at oia one time. i said "hello mr. hoch" and he gave a pleasant enough half smile. jim was busy cheating on his taxes so i didn't bother him. funny enough, a local wine shop i frequent used to host a big cabernet sauvignon-focused event every year where people brought really nice cabs for a blind tasting showdown. as the story goes, hoch shows up with a $20 bottle of australian swill, gets sh!tfaced, knocks over whole wine bottles, and basically gets blacklisted from any future events!

- i saw brea vega at the golfsmith i frequent awhile back. now she is an assistant pro at my buddy's club. she's a really nice person.

- EDIT to add a re-post of the event i attended this past tuesday at annika's academy here in orlando where i got to spend a decent amount of time with annika. she was awesome.

sorry op, none of that really addressed your original question!

Last edited:
I saw JJ Spicoli and Nate Web shopping for chips and salsa at a super market in Myrtle Beach this year!:act-up:

JM

I've seen Tiger at a few of the local Waffle House establishments...

Back