Anyone ever volunteered at a PGA event?

Jmk202

Reaction score
Handicap
~10
I'm hoping things are more normal by the time the Houston Open roles around, November, and I'm thinking it might be fun to volunteer at the event. Has anyone ever volunteered at a PGA event Pre-Covid? Any suggestions or tips? Is it worth it?

I've done the Zurich Classic for 16 years. Always do the walking scorer or sign holder. Either way you get to walk inside the ropes, meet and watch up close the best players in the world. It is an unbelievable experience.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I have never volunteered, but I worked on the camera crew of PGA Tour Live for a few years while in college at the Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone. It was an absolute treat hauling a tripod around inside the ropes and getting paid for it! Volunteering for an event is a great idea and would be a fun experience.

I've done the Zurich Classic for 16 years. Always do the walking scorer or sign holder. Either way you get to walk inside the ropes, meet and watch up close the best players in the world. It is an unbelievable experience.

I'm guessing you have to know someone or have been volunteering for years before you get that gig?

I volunteered at the Reno Tahoe Open for a few years. One highlight was I think it was the first or second year. Craig Stadler was playing and was trying to get into the club house. He didn't have his players badge and they would not let him in. I watched the whole thing go down. It was very entertaining.

I will say that being a volunteer changes your opinion of some of the pros both good and bad.

Jason Day literally one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Super super nice and friendly.
John Daly and Chris DiMarco... Lets just say I was not a fan afterwards.

I have volunteered for over 30 events so obviously I really enjoy it. Worth it is up to the individual. Some don't like having to pay for the volunteer package, but it usually a pretty solid deal and gives you access to all tournament days as well as food and sometimes a round of golf is thrown in. Depending on what your assignment is getting inside of the ropes with the the pros is always a blast. I would definitely recommend it.

I'm guessing you have to know someone or have been volunteering for years before you get that gig?
Walking scorer is the coveted job. I do that on Thursday and Friday and its hit or miss on the quality of the players. Then on the weekends I carry the score board and get one of the last few groups. The weekend rounds are all seniority based.

I have volunteered at The Travelers for the last 15 years. I look forward to it every year. For the past 7 years my volunteer committee has been has been the practice facility. I love walking down the range watching the pros hit balls from a few feet away. I actually just got an email a few days ago that we won’t be needed this year

I have volunteered at The Travelers for the last 15 years. I look forward to it every year. For the past 7 years my volunteer committee has been has been the practice facility. I love walking down the range watching the pros hit balls from a few feet away. I actually just got an email a few days ago that we won’t be needed this year
Ugh, sorry to hear that.

I volunteered in 2018 when the BMW was at Aronimink Golf Club. I was assigned to the hospitality group.

I know the biggest complaint people have is you are actually paying to "volunteer". I did pay something like 120 I believe but not only received a couple of nice shirts, pull-over, hats, a few other tidbits, and entrance to the course all week with a parking pass that was extremely close. I just hoped on the volunteer bus and was at the course in a few mins.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone that is going to go to the tournament a few days to see about volunteering. I had an absolute blast. On the practice day, I was able to get almost all the participants' signatures on a tournament flag and Patton Kizzire used glove when I helped him for a min. It was amazing how some of the golfers were incredibly nice and some well no so. Mickelson stayed out to make sure he got every single person in line. However, Tiger went off so early no one was there to get his signature. He did sign for kids on other days.

On the first day of the tournament, I was in the clubhouse for my shift. I did go out and watch those in the morning as my shift was later in the day. Mostly, we just coordinated to tell where everyone should be. I was given the headset for the clubhouse and in charge of making sure all communication with the team and management was in sync. Most of the time it was just telling guests where they were allowed to go and who was not.

The second day was much more fun. One of the other guys in my group from Thursday Club House and I were assigned to the 10th Grandstand. Although it wasn't fun constantly telling people they were not allowed up in the Grandstand without the proper badge when Tiger came around the stand was so full that we both thought the place could cave in. I got a nice video of when he came on the green. The number of people that followed him was insane. It was cool that a bunch of Flyers were in my stands and very few people recognized them, so I didn't have any issues as I thought I would trying to keep people away from them.

The only sad thing was the weather washed out Sunday and I couldn't make it down there on Monday to see the finish. How close you get to the players with a volunteer badge is incredible. You can literally almost walk anywhere with the right one. Got a great picture of DeChambeau after he completely flubbed an approach to the green on 10. He was so mad at himself. LOL:ROFLMAO:

Couple pictures:

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

I did 6 years of marshalling at the Old GHO and as it moved to the TPC from Wethersfield CC. What is now the Travelers Championship. The best part of it was my dad was all excited about me doing it and I talked the company into allowing my dad to marshall too....Oh he went home and was big man on campus....Ha

I volunteered in 2018 when the BMW was at Aronimink Golf Club. I was assigned to the hospitality group.

I know the biggest complaint people have is you are actually paying to "volunteer". I did pay something like 120 I believe but not only received a couple of nice shirts, pull-over, hats, a few other tidbits, and entrance to the course all week with a parking pass that was extremely close. I just hoped on the volunteer bus and was at the course in a few mins.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone that is going to go to the tournament a few days to see about volunteering. I had an absolute blast. On the practice day, I was able to get almost all the participants' signatures on a tournament flag and Patton Kizzire used glove when I helped him for a min. It was amazing how some of the golfers were incredibly nice and some well no so. Mickelson stayed out to make sure he got every single person in line. However, Tiger went off so early no one was there to get his signature. He did sign for kids on other days.

On the first day of the tournament, I was in the clubhouse for my shift. I did go out and watch those in the morning as my shift was later in the day. Mostly, we just coordinated to tell where everyone should be. I was given the headset for the clubhouse and in charge of making sure all communication with the team and management was in sync. Most of the time it was just telling guests where they were allowed to go and who was not.

The second day was much more fun. One of the other guys in my group from Thursday Club House and I were assigned to the 10th Grandstand. Although it wasn't fun constantly telling people they were not allowed up in the Grandstand without the proper badge when Tiger came around the stand was so full that we both thought the place could cave in. I got a nice video of when he came on the green. The number of people that followed him was insane. It was cool that a bunch of Flyers were in my stands and very few people recognized them, so I didn't have any issues as I thought I would trying to keep people away from them.

The only sad thing was the weather washed out Sunday and I couldn't make it down there on Monday to see the finish. How close you get to the players with a volunteer badge is incredible. You can literally almost walk anywhere with the right one. Got a great picture of DeChambeau after he completely flubbed an approach to the green on 10. He was so mad at himself. LOL:ROFLMAO:

Couple pictures:

View attachment 8943980

View attachment 8943981

View attachment 8943982

View attachment 8943984

View attachment 8943985
Did you pick hospitality, or just randomly got assigned?

Did you pick hospitality, or just randomly got assigned?
I picked three options: hospitality and two others I can't remember. Walking scorers and skytrack were already taken when I signed up. On the bus, most of the guys who were signed up to be walking scorers all talked about how cool their pros were. That is the job to get if possible.

I picked three options: hospitality and two others I can't remember. Walking scorers and skytrack were already taken when I signed up. On the bus, most of the guys who were signed up to be walking scorers all talked about how cool their pros were. That is the job to get if possible.
It is rare that newbies get to pick their spot...The Old Guard gets first choice and grab the best spots like scorers. Like any situation there is a hierarchy and some of the volunteers at events that happen every year, do it for a long time.

I think it would be such a neat experience even if you got to do it 1 time. Unfortunately where I live there's none really close.

I have volunteered for over 30 events so obviously I really enjoy it. Worth it is up to the individual. Some don't like having to pay for the volunteer package, but it usually a pretty solid deal and gives you access to all tournament days as well as food and sometimes a round of golf is thrown in. Depending on what your assignment is getting inside of the ropes with the the pros is always a blast. I would definitely recommend it.
I was about to respond you! Your a veteran at PGA Tour events!!!

Back