Anyone have the 588 Black Pearl? Is the finish fading fast?

Getitclose

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
So on the 8th of December, for my birthday I bought myself some 588 black pearl wedges. Up until today I was just chipping inside the house a little. I hit about 10 shots with the 60 today including one sand shot. The finish is already coming off on the sole. Wtf? I can only imagine what it's going to look like when I'm using it everyday next season. Did this happen to your wedges? Do the black finish wear completely off? I'm nervous. Let me know please...

The Black Pearl finish is designed this way. It does not rust, but shows signs of the steel underneath. There are tons of pictures in the huge 588 thread.

The bottom always wears fast. It usually turns into a nice silvery finish after about two rounds depending on your turf (sand based wear about that fast anyway)

Yes my 588s done the same thing, but I like the look myself.

It will look terrible at first, but once it gets nice and worn across the sole and face it will look really nice again, in a homely sort of way.

I'll be honest, I started reading other thread but just can't go through >100 pages. Speaking of wear what kind of "rust" are we talking about on the custom RTGs? I don't mind a little rough raw iron look to them but are we talking copper/orange nasty rust? Also, what kind of time frame are we talking about? Will they eventually be unplayable? Are these stupid questions?

Damn. Wish I would have went with the SM4 now. So you get the black for two whole rounds then the finish is gone? Awesome

Damn. Wish I would have went with the SM4 now. So you get the black for two whole rounds then the finish is gone? Awesome

No, not at all. THe black stays on the wedge throughout, just the sole and the small hitting sweet spot get worn. Cleveland has other finishes for those that prefer something else.

The SM4s do the same thing brother. There is only one finish that won't show wear, in either wedge.

Ya...prob just being a little girl about it. I was just hoping it would stay on more than 1 round. Maybe I can still return them to Edwin Watts and get the RTG. I think the rust looks good. Thanks for all your help guys!

Mine has wear on the sole and face but that's it I actually like the way it wore down. I've had mine for a year now. And would def recommend them to someone looking for new wedges.

My finish is holding up great. I have about 20 rounds on them...

It's ugly when it first wears, but ends up looking real nice after awhile.

I'll be honest, I started reading other thread but just can't go through >100 pages. Speaking of wear what kind of "rust" are we talking about on the custom RTGs? I don't mind a little rough raw iron look to them but are we talking copper/orange nasty rust? Also, what kind of time frame are we talking about? Will they eventually be unplayable? Are these stupid questions?

They can rust like that if you don't dry them well after a round. My J40 Black Oxide have got shades of rust on them cause of damp conditions. Always looks dirty to me but a scrub brush or some CLR usually takes care of it.

Back