Anyone here game Titleist AP3 irons?

Andrew808

Reaction score
Handicap
And care to give their opinion on them?

I’ve decided it’s time to get new irons after using my dads hand-me-downs the last couple years and losing the 3, 4 and now my PW (yeah I’m an idiot) and am looking hard at these. Of course I‘m going to go to my local golf store to try them out and see if they work for me, but would appreciate if anyone can share how they feel about theirs?

no joy with them but good luck with the search my first set was a beg deal im sure your will be too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I can't find the review thread to link here, but I participated in the Ultimate Club Testing with Titleist where a handful of us lucky THP'ers were fit at Titleist Thursday, then the clubs were built to those specs and ready for us to put them in play over the course of a weekend. I ended up with 718 T-MB, but a few guys like @Greg Kulbick, @mikeg_74, and a couple others ended up with the ap3. I think the consensus was they were a good club, but there were other irons in that Players Distance category that did a few things a bit better.

I’ve decided it’s time to get new irons after using my dads hand-me-downs the last couple years and losing the 3, 4 and now my PW (yeah I’m an idiot) and am looking hard at these. Of course I‘m going to go to my local golf store to try them out and see if they work for me, but would appreciate if anyone can share how they feel about theirs?

plenty of information in this thread

I have them in bag & once we settled on a shaft, I really liked them. I can flight the ball higher/lower with a little more ease but plenty of height & stopping power.
For me, the shaft was a big deal, it really brought out the good in these heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got mine 4 days ago. Haven't used them for a round yet. But been hitting them in my net in the back. They look great at address thinner blade design from my previous irons. The shots feel solid and the one thing I can attest to the ball is really popping of the face.I made several holes in the net already.My old set was 12 years old though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I played a split set with AP2s in the shorter irons and AP3s in the longer irons. I liked the forgiveness in the longer AP3 irons but wish they were softer feeling. If you have any specific questions just send them over.

I've got a combo set ap3(4/5) and ap2 (6-pw). Ap3 is easy to get in the air and pretty good feeling. Haven't regretted that purchase at all. Love em!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I played a split set with AP2s in the shorter irons and AP3s in the longer irons. I liked the forgiveness in the longer AP3 irons but wish they were softer feeling. If you have any specific questions just send them over.
I guess my biggest question/concern (and this is for anyone to answer who would like to) is if my swing is “mature” enough to handle these irons, as a high handicapper? Or should I wait until I have a lower handicap, which implies that my swing is better, before getting them? I‘d guesstimate that I currently get good contact on my irons about 70-75% of the time. I don’t want that to decrease by getting irons that I can’t handle...

I guess my biggest question/concern (and this is for anyone to answer who would like to) is if my swing is “mature” enough to handle these irons, as a high handicapper? Or should I wait until I have a lower handicap, which implies that my swing is better, before getting them? I‘d guesstimate that I currently get good contact on my irons about 70-75% of the time. I don’t want that to decrease by getting irons that I can’t handle...
I think they're pretty forgiving... Which would help you a lot. But obviously you need to feel comfortable with them. I guess the thing everyone says is "go get fit"... Or at least go hit them somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would look for a Titleist Thursday fitting in your area. It's completely free and they aren't allowed to sell you a product. (seriously no hard sell). You can choose to do an iron fitting and they will show you what head and shaft combo will work the best. It is definitely worth it.

I have a set 6-gw. The construction of the irons change from long, mid, and, short irons, so, the feel of the 8-gw is pretty good, but, the 7 on up is ok to me, but, a lower cap buddy was aghast at the feel (ymmv). The AP1's are going to be more forgiving, and, like the recommendations above, I would suggest going to a Titleist Thursday.

if that’s your concern, i would recommend looking at ap1 also. if you’re willing to look at other brands, callaway recently released the mavrik irons and they’re pretty great.

I would argue these are perfect irons to get better with. Center strikes will be great and you’ll still see forgiveness on off center strikes that won’t hurt you.

I think it is difficult to determine whether a certain profile of iron would work for somebody without knowing more than that person's index. A mid-teen index could certainly play the AP3s, in my opinion. I played them for a short time and I feel that they are quite forgiving, particularly for the profile. They could be something you grow into. My constructive criticism of the AP3s would be sound/feel, but I have come to learn that other than the forged offerings, I don't particularly care for the Titleist sound/feel in its iron offerings. They are a little bit more "clicky" than others within the same profile type. I certainly wouldn't steer you away from them, based upon your description of your game. What might be more important is what shaft the set has that you might have interest in.

I played them and I really liked them a lot. They had a lot of pop and a really nice ball flight. They were also easy to flight the ball with. I thi k they would be great for where you are at right now. Make sure they have a good shaft for you in them if you buy used. The DG AMT Black was the standard for them.which is a fine shaft.

I had them as well. I liked them but having come from the previous versions of the AP2's, these took a bit of getting used to for me. Took me a while to get the gapping issues down as they had stronger lofts from my 718 AP2's. Once that was fixed, the only other issue was getting used to the sound off the face. It was a bit more harsh than I was used to. I think that was the chief complaint from the majority that Titleist "fixed" with the T200 series.
Incidentally, I might have a set of 4 - PW AP3's to sell if that's the way you end up going. DM me if interested. :cool:

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it helps a lot. Also thanks for mentioning Titleist Thursdays, I had never heard of that before but a google search shows one close by so I’ll be checking it out

Incidentally, I might have a set of 4 - PW AP3's to sell if that's the way you end up going. DM me if interested. :cool:
I will definitely do that if I end up wanting to purchase them

Back