Been Home Brewing for a little over 8 years now. Have a nice all grain system that I built myself. Only do 5 gallon batches at a time right now but upgrading to 10 gallon this spring.

There ya go. Are you in converted kegs or larger pots? I've got a 9G ss, 15G keggle, and 22G ss for when things get out of hand. You know when you have 20G at a rolling boil outside on a turkey burner that something is up.

Last edited:
I wish I had more time too. I use it as opportunity to make marzens all year round. I hate hops so I go against the entire craft beer movement but i get to make what I like.

It's not too hard of a process and honestly if you go to a brew store they can tell you exactly what you need to make the type of beer you want. If you aren't familiar with the process, there are tons of different hops, barley's, and malts that make different beers. If you want the easy way, get one of the beer kits that includes everything you need plus instructions. They take shortcuts, but it's the easy way to get into home brewing. If you want to dive right in to legit brewing, you can have someone at the brew store hook you up with the air sealed bucket, bottles, caps, and cap sealer, and help you choose the ingredients for what type of beer you want. There's a lot to it and the processes have to be done with out shortcuts and will take a few months from start to finish. TONS of home brew websites can be found with very good instructions on how to do it.

Biggest thing is sanitation.

There ya go. Are you in converted kegs or larger pots? I've got a 9G ss, 15G keggle, and 22G ss for when things get out of hand. You know when you have 20G at a rolling boil outside on a turkey burner that something is up.

Mixture of coolers and ss pots right now. Moving to all large pots and a more beer sculpture system with pumps.

First brew of the year: 13g of Zombie Dust clone. Overshot my volumes so I 'll be boiling for quite a bit tonight.

I homebrew. I do partial mash. If you want another hobby, you can't go wrong with homebrewing. It definitely isn't rocket surgery, and at the end you get beer!

IPAs are my go to, but San Diego is pretty much an IPA town. My house beer is a red IPA, that people seem to really enjoy. When people who are not homebrewers try it for the first time, they cannot believe it isn't a commercial beer. Give it a shot. It is a lot of fun.

Major bump. We are going to be brewing at home this weeknd. We got a malt extract kit from Cleveland Brew Shop for Dead Man's Curve, a dark IPA. I've brewed a bunch of times with my brother, but this is going to be the first brew I am leading. Hoping everything stays clean!

Co-worker told me this one.

High end vodka
1 whole pineapple

Place whole pineapple in container.
Pour in vodka
Let sit for 3 weeks
Drink. Pass out. Very potent. Alcohol tastes just like pineapple juice.

Co-worker told me this one.

High end vodka
1 whole pineapple

Place whole pineapple in container.
Pour in vodka
Let sit for 3 weeks
Drink. Pass out. Very potent. Alcohol tastes just like pineapple juice.
With all due respect, high end vodka shouldn't need pineapple flavoring to be enjoyed properly.

Just found this thread...

I homebrew and have been playing around with some of my own IPA recipes. Just having issues keeping the fermentation temps stable so they don't creep up to high.

I homebrew and have been playing around with some of my own IPA recipes. Just having issues keeping the fermentation temps stable so they don't creep up to high.
Ah I see you're in Florida. It can be tough to control temperature down there. Where are you keeping your beer as it ferements?

I have a few friends that modifed chest Freezers with Temp controllers so they can control ferment temp of Wine/Beer works really well

I was fermenting in a closet like some others I know do. But I am going to buy a small wine cooler so I can control the temps and since I usually brew 1-2 gallons at a time it's perfect size and will also allow me to drop the temps low enough to finally brew some lagers

Anyone brew all grain? If so, what is your brewing setup?

I am considering upgrading my little 1 gallon setup and making a brewing station with 3 gallon igloo coolers with all the valves and strainers.

I am considering upgrading my little 1 gallon setup and making a brewing station with 3 gallon igloo coolers with all the valves and strainers.

Sounds like are looking at fly sparging. You might want to try batch sparging first, its less efficient but much easier IMO.

Not yet. I need to build up some experience with malt extract kits before I jump into all grain.

Not yet. I need to build up some experience with malt extract kits before I jump into all grain.

I jumped straight into all grain. There is more of a learning curve and it is a little more involved and difficult, but I enjoy the freedom to mix grains and hops and yeasts to come up with my own concoctions. You will really enjoy the all grain process when you try it.

Sounds like are looking at fly sparging. You might want to try batch sparging first, its less efficient but much easier IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not even began to look at sparging yet lol I do want to build my own hop back though when I do upgrade so I can add more hop to my IPAs. I love a very hoppy IPA.

With everyone quarantied is anyone else homebrewing? I haven't done much in the last couple of years but I obtained all the ingredients today for a Raspberry Cream Ale to brew tomorrow. I dug all the equipment out tonight to get ready.

With everyone quarantied is anyone else homebrewing? I haven't done much in the last couple of years but I obtained all the ingredients today for a Raspberry Cream Ale to brew tomorrow. I dug all the equipment out tonight to get ready.
I had no idea this was a thread. Awesome. I was pretty into home brewing before I got into golfing. I still have all the equipment, including keging. At the peak of it I had 6 beers on tap and about 30 gallons at any given time. I’ll probably pick it up again, but with only two beers on rotation. I got pretty good at it, with a couple signature recipients that were pretty darn good. Stoped doing it when the local brew shop shut down and in Florida it’s a pain to get liquid yeast shipped and still be viable without a starter.

Best of luck with your brew tomorrow, a raspberry cream ale sounds awesome.

Raspberry cream ale sounds wonderful!

I’ve dabbled, but nothing has turned out as I hoped. Lots of yeast flavour each time and it turned me off... considering another try.

Raspberry cream ale sounds wonderful!

I’ve dabbled, but nothing has turned out as I hoped. Lots of yeast flavour each time and it turned me off... considering another try.
Happy to help you iron out any issue or even share some recipes that are tried and true. I was no expert, but I got pretty darn good at it.

Happy to help you iron out any issue or even share some recipes that are tried and true. I was no expert, but I got pretty darn good at it.
Sure, thanks! Pretty darn good is infinitely better than where I got to. What sorts of brews were your preferred recipes?

Back