Anyone in The Irving Tx./Dallas Tx Area?

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
Found out yesterday my company is closing the facility I work at. I am being given the choice of moving to Lebanon Virginia, Irving Tx. or separating from the company. I've already decided Lebanon is not happening, so is anyone in the Irving area that can give me the lowdown so I have some information to base my decision on?

Thanks in advance

Its in Texas so its awesome and TC will be jealous of you.

Its in Texas so its awesome and TC will be jealous of you.

Um yeah, that's my goal to make TC jealous. Seriously though, what are prices like? Gas? Food? Greens fees?

I moved here last April after losing my job in Oakland CA (my parents invited me to live with them to ease the financial woes).

I live 40 mi south of DFW... I love it here, but I was born in TX so am used to the heat, the politics, etc.. There are a lot of golf courses :) and lots of things to do in the area and the cost of living isn't too bad compared to other big cities. Also there is no state income tax in TX.

Good luck with your decision.

What are the temps like during the summer?

Um yeah, that's my goal to make TC jealous. Seriously though, what are prices like? Gas? Food? Greens fees?

Its been a while since Ive lived back in the D/FW area but all my family live back there. They all love it. I love the area but like any place there are better and worse spots. Cost of living is lower IMO then a lot of places Ive lived. For a small, nice house out East you can buy a huge all brick house in Texas. Tons of good golf too. But Im not sure on prices, etc.

100* easy. Last year was brutal.

Ron, I am on the road now but live about 3 miles south of Irving.

PM me and I can send you my number if you want to chat about the area.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

June-August are not for the feint of heart; it regularly hangs in the 100s. Last summer was unusually brutal with a 60+ day stretch where the temps were 100-110 (that's when I was out learning to play golf). The upside is that every building/restaurant/business has AC usually set on "deep freeze".

Ron, do some research but this area was not hit as hard with the "recession" as many other areas were and that should tell you something. Ft. Worth was 4 and Dallas was 6 in the Best Cities for Job Growth for 2012 (Austin was 1 and Houston was 2). Las Colinas area is pretty nice in the Irving area. It's an area situated between Dallas/Arlington/Ft. Worth so will allow you to look in a lot of areas when you start looking for a place to live.

There is no winter in Texas esp. the further south you do, but if there is cold spells, they usually last a week or so and then are gone. Golf is pretty much 12 months out of the year with some weeks off due to a cold front that blows through. Downtown Ft. Worth is awesome and has a good nightlife! You have the Rangers/Cowboys in Arlington, the Mavs/Stars in Dallas and more restaurants per square mile than just about any other city. Public transportation isn't the best so you will have to own a car. It's spread out here so everything you want to do will take 5-15 minutes to get there. The best months of weather IMO are Oct/Nov and March/April. You can't beat the weather unless you had a beach to go with it. Summers will get hot. We almost broke the record on consecutive 100 degree days of 42 with 40 last summer. It can be brutal.

Tons of golf courses in the area so you will not have a problem finding a golf course to play any day of the week.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

My sister and her husband live just outside of Dallas (closer to Ft. Worth) so I'm always up there and I am just so jealous of them! I love Texas and that has to be my favorite area of Texas! (My brother lives in Houston, too humid for me) One thing that is kind of crazy is the heat+humidity, but besides that, it is one of the most beautiful places in the country and I believe you will love it. Gas is a little more expensive it was closer to $4 last month when I last went.

Found out yesterday my company is closing the facility I work at. I am being given the choice of moving to Lebanon Virginia, Irving Tx. or separating from the company. I've already decided Lebanon is not happening, so is anyone in the Irving area that can give me the lowdown so I have some information to base my decision on?

Thanks in advance

Irving is pretty much in the middle of the DFW metro area, just a little west and north of Dallas. It is where the airport is located and not far from downtown Dallas with its attractions and not far from Arlington where the stadiums and amusement parks are located. This area has been largely untouched by the recent downturn. If your company is located in Irving you can choose to live pretty much anywhere in the area and the commutes are not bad, you will have your choice of some of the best communities here. You can buy a nice sized home here for much less than what you are used to in CO, the cost of living overall is and has always been low here, taxes are generally not high and there is no state income tax which you probably know already. The weather is great for all but a few weeks winter and summer during the average year. Some years we never see 100 in the summer and some years we only go below freezing in the winter for a day or two. There have been years here when I didn't miss a single round of golf all year because of weather, hot or cold. Green fees are not ridiculous, you can play almost anywhere for $50 or less, except for some of the trendier spots which are upwards of $100. Club memberships here are relatively inexpensive. There are churches on every street corner just about and all but a handful of the people you meet will vote anything other than Republican. There are several good sized lakes nearby for fishing and boating types and you are only a couple of hours from deer hunting or dove hunting if you like that. People in Dallas are different now than when I first moved here with the influx of so many from other parts of the country but you will find that for the most part people in Texas are extremely friendly and courteous. We moved here from 'out West' (Arizona) about 20 years ago and I wouldn't think of living anywhere else - except maybe Hawaii. Oh and much as people would like to think that Boston or New York or LA is the sports capitol of the country it is actually here in Dallas, with a World Series played here the past two years, an NBA champion from last year here and of course the Cowboys here. This is my totally biased opinion of course.

Overall I would say your cost of living will be about the same. While the home prices are generally lower, the property taxes are much higher. We do not have state income taxes, but your property taxes will be about 2.5% of the value of your house every year. Insurance may be a liitle higher as well. If you what to see what home cost in different locals in the area go to www.ebby.com. It is a local real estate company and you can search their site for homes for sale by zip code, etc.

For reference gas is generally about $3.45/gallon right now. Seems like when I travel up there the food cost is generally the same.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the info, I feel like I have some "insider" info now on how things are and not just cold hard facts.

Back