Anyone notice a seam appearing on ZStar?

I switched to Bridgestone due to the seem issue. I had a ball crack in the seem late last season.

May be so, but looking at the yellow ball above, I still contend that it would cause the ball not to roll straight. What kind of aero effects do you think would show up?

I'm going off the OEM's claims that paint thickness in the dimples and small differences on the order of thousands can affect aero in general. If you have a nick(s) that are asymmetric to how it is spinning/flying it starts to affect curvature, or lift.

I play XV's more than any other ball, I like them, and am in the camp that is not worried about performance effects. I lose them before there is too much cause for concern anyway. NEver had a putting issue.

I've played Z-star for I think 3 years now? Whenever they had the 'buy 6 for $10' deal to get people to try them, that's how long I've played them. Yes, there is a seam. After enough hits, that seam will turn into a hairline crack. Then, if you keep hitting it, that crack will split down into core.

I've learned this on my simulator. But to be honest, we are talking a huge amount of strokes on the same ball to get to the point of splitting. I'd say I get about 20-40 full, 18 hole sim rounds in before the ball starts to split.

~Rock

I've noticed it on the 2017 models which I'm still using. Most of the time they don't hang around long enough to impact performance since they end up in a water hazard or lost in the woods or something like that.

I just got a few dozen Z Star, looking forward to getting them out on the course for testing. I’ll keep my eye on them for anything like the pictures.

FYI guys -

I played a sleeve of the XV that srixon sent me today and never had the seam show up. It seems to have been fixed in this new generation.

Interesting explanation on Twitter if you care to read, with pics of a ball with the cover removed.
I too have seen this, didnt know what to think of it.

This is exactly what I was talking about it maybe be fine but doesn’t look good at all I’ve got four more dozens and then I bought this years edition I’ll see how they do love the ball not changing I use to buy used z stars never seen a problem with cosmetic or seam problem until last few years but it’s hard on me looking at it I’ll just change balls every few holes or so thanks

I’ve seen a slightly visible color contrast but nothing to this extent. I’ve wondered if it would effect the ball flight but that means I would
Have to hit it correctly each time to know the difference

I really don’t think it impacts ball flight or performance. I have played a lot of these for a lot of time and a few years ago when I started to notice the crack, I could not find any difference in flight etc. The seam makes a lot of sense, it is so consistent on each ball.

I personally haven't

I believe it needs to be fixed it wasn’t in the old original ones and hopefully it’s fixed in the new edition cosmetic looks bad when playing

I play XV's primarily. I've seen a few visible seams, but it's not every ball. Or maybe it is, and I just lose the ball before it shows itself. I'm a frequent donor after all.

Has anybody noted where the balls in question were manufactured? I believe Z Stars are made at plants in both Japan and in Indonesia, with the former having a better reputation. Everything in my inventory was manufactured in Indonesia.

I had 43 of the 48 XV balls I used develop the 'seam crack'. I havent noticed any impact on the ball flight or how it responds around the green and what I expect the ball to do/behave its seems to do that as well. Its just a ghastly cosmetic thing to me, and even though I like the ball I find that I dont play them and just throw them in my practice bag.

Back