Anyone play (or have played) Dungeons & Dragons?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
It's looking likely that I may play for the first time soon. I'm kind of interested in it but I don't know much about it. My eldest step-daughter recently started playing and she is now an enthusiast. I said I'd be interested in playing too and so my wife is going to set up it for all of us to play on my step-daughter's birthday.

Any advice or tips for a beginner?

I haven’t but sounds fun. One of my friends does play. I’ll ask him a little bit later this morning and see what he can share.

For many years my friends and I played it. Not in about 15 years though now, we've all kind of gone or different ways.

Biggest tips, have fun and listen to your DM (dungeon master). Don't try to be everything your first go around. There are tons of rules like in golf, so understand the basics and you'll end up figuring out the rest as you go with your group.

Think about what kind of style you want to play, if your character is going to be a sneaky stealthy kind of toon don't initiate the fights, but think how you can get around a situation with wits. If you're a bruiser, don't take the lead and always just swing first. Make sure you talk / play in character if that is what they are doing. Have a model of how you want your character to play - then play it.

When you set it up - are you going to DM the map? If so, put time into it with multiple outcomes (fighting, sneaking, thieving, negotiating) so she can do what she wants and you won't have to scramble.

If she's getting into it, and I don't know what she has but get her some nice/fancy/fun dice and a dice box or bag. D&D requires everything from 20 sided dice on down, so having those that are awesome could be a great gift for her.

My gosh I probably haven’t played on over 40 years. Did I just date myself there??? Unfortunately any advice I would have to offer would be less than beginner.

My gosh I probably haven’t played on over 40 years. Did I just date myself there??? Unfortunately any advice I would have to offer would be less than beginner.

For many years my friends and I played it. Not in about 15 years though now, we've all kind of gone or different ways.

Biggest tips, have fun and listen to your DM (dungeon master). Don't try to be everything your first go around. There are tons of rules like in golf, so understand the basics and you'll end up figuring out the rest as you go with your group.

Think about what kind of style you want to play, if your character is going to be a sneaky stealthy kind of toon don't initiate the fights, but think how you can get around a situation with wits. If you're a bruiser, don't take the lead and always just swing first. Make sure you talk / play in character if that is what they are doing. Have a model of how you want your character to play - then play it.

When you set it up - are you going to DM the map? If so, put time into it with multiple outcomes (fighting, sneaking, thieving, negotiating) so she can do what she wants and you won't have to scramble.

If she's getting into it, and I don't know what she has but get her some nice/fancy/fun dice and a dice box or bag. D&D requires everything from 20 sided dice on down, so having those that are awesome could be a great gift for her.
This is some solid advice. Granted, I haven't played in 15-20 years.

My friend basically echoed what @Daluteh said.

Have fun!

I don't think you're as old as me and I haven't played in about 37 years. I was about 15 I think.

I played D&D during high school in the late '70s, had a set of the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons manuals. I haven't played since probably 1980, so I'm sure the game has evolved quite a bit since then.

Back