Anyone play with hickory shaft clubs. Should I get plus 4 pants or a Kilt?

U_of_Bucky

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I shot an 85 with my hickory playable sticks. They are the original H&B Grand Slam irons and various woods. I used Wilson Duo golf balls. About a 50 compression ball.

6150-yard course. I parred the toughest 4 holes (5 pars and 13 bogies) Not bad for not hitting these clubs for 2 years. I am getting 200 yards with my driver.

To improve I have to get the"feel" of the putter. It is very light compared to modern putters. I left 6 putts short by 2 to 12 inches but in the cup if the speed was correct. I got better using the "Jack Nicholas" crouch stance. I did try the Gary Player and Arnie wrist pop putting stroke. The popping wrist style worked well form 5 feet and in.

I also need to improve at 50 to 150 from the pin. Again feel is the issue. I hit hickories significantly lower with less spin. So I need to practice my Links gound game.

I was happy the clubs stored well. Being 90 years old, I was expecting the shafts to be fragile after being stuck into a storage corner. The shafts were straight and no splits. The reverse calf hide grips were in good shape.

God can not hit a 1 iron. Apparently I can not hit the long specialty iron. About a 2 iron loft. The swing weight has to be around a C-2. I am not feeling the clubhead at the top of my backswing. Pulls and bladed shots.

My spad, spad mashie, mashie, mashie niblick, and niblick hit well. I need to get better distance control. The niblick is what I used for the sand traps. My first sand shot barely got me out, One could shave with the niblick as the bounce is nonexistent. The next time I was in the sand I swung hard enough and behind the ball to send a couple of cups of sand and the ball 15 yards onto the green. That was an 8-foot putt made for one of my pars.

On the whole, the hickory sticks were fun. Maybe I get so argyle socks and some plus 4 pants. (Payne Stewart) Or a Kilt.

Vintage-Hillerich-and-Bradsby-grand-slam-golf.jpg

Vintage-Hillerich-and-Bradsby-grand-slam-golf.jpg

That’s cool & yes, gotta get the Plus 4s.

I’m 100% positive they make new hickory sticks, it would be fun to play with them.
Knickers, kilt, whatever tickles your fancy!

That is very cool indeed.

I’m 100% positive they make new hickory sticks, it would be fun to play with them.
In a kilt, the wind would.

I’ve picked up a small assortment of hickories mostly to hang on the wall of my cave. I’ve been thinking of hitting them lately. Did you use a low compression ball when you played yours?

Being 90 years old, I was expecting the shafts to be fragile after being stuck into a storage corner.

I was going to say congrats on shooting your age! Then I realized I read it wrong and haven't had my cup of coffee yet.

I'm thinking, go with the plus 4's but don't forget the matching socks.

I’ve picked up a small assortment of hickories mostly to hang on the wall of my cave. I’ve been thinking of hitting them lately. Did you use a low compression ball when you played yours?
YES! The higher compression balls will damage the old sticks. I use a Wilson Duo. A 50 compassion ball versus Pro V1 which is about 90.

Check out the shafts, straight and not split. If you need new grips just use some friction tape for a temporary fix. The same type used on hockey sticks. Good luck

Yes, they do make new hickory sticks. Great quality too.

Here is the link to a United States company.
https://louisvillegolf.com/

I was going to say congrats on shooting your age! Then I realized I read it wrong and haven't had my cup of coffee yet.

I am 67 now. Shooting my age who be AWESOME!

What a great thread! I say absolutely go with the plus 4’s. And a matching tweed jacket!!!! I don’t believe in doing things by halves.

Back