Anyone REALLY good with a Mac?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Last Thursday I ran into a peculiar problem.

A piece of software I seldom use (but have to right now) decided to stop printing. I was able to print just fine on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon I backed up my machine via Time Machine, and since then nothing. The software opens up the print dialogue box, and I can select a printer or PDF, etc. But once I hit the "print" button, the software doesn't send a command. It doesn't do anything.

Everything else on my machine prints and saves to PDF as usual.

Since Friday I have spent over 4 hours on the phone with Entertainment Partners (the developer) tech support while the dug around my machine via remote. They have exhausted all of their thoughts on the issue.

I'm beginning to suspect it's a rogue line of code in my system, but have absolutely no way of even beginning to know how to sort it out.

I'm about to completely wipe my machine, and start anew, with a new user account and no other software than the affected program just to see if it works.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has ANY ideas, I'm listening!

I assume you have already done this but this same thing happened to me a couple times when I upgraded my OS. I had to update the firmware on the printer. Also had to delete the printer and reinstall the driver. I know its frustrating, but wiping the whole machine sounds extreme

I assume you have already done this but this same thing happened to me a couple times when I upgraded my OS. I had to update the firmware on the printer. Also had to delete the printer and reinstall the driver. I know its frustrating, but wiping the whole machine sounds extreme
Yep, updated both the OS, and installed new printer drivers. Even tried a different printer as well as created a virtual printer. No dice

Posted by my thumbs.

I did reset the SMC the other day, but have not reset NV RAM or PRAM. Think it'll do anything?

I dunno, but it's a painless process so it's at least worth a shot. Given everything you've done already I doubt it fixes your problem, but you never know.

Have you tried restoring to the last TM backup before it broke? Time Machine shouldn’t have done anything crazy but....computers.

Have you tried restoring to the last TM backup before it broke? Time Machine shouldn’t have done anything crazy but....computers.
I did.

As one last attempt before a complete wipe, I am installing a fresh version of osx. We shall see what happens

This is day 3 lost to this issue. Very frustrating.

Posted by my thumbs.

I did.

As one last attempt before a complete wipe, I am installing a fresh version of osx. We shall see what happens

This is day 3 lost to this issue. Very frustrating.

Posted by my thumbs.

Have you tried reinstalling the application?

Is there any chance the software you're using got updated? The print to PDF functionality shouldn't need a driver or anything.

The Console app might give you an idea of what error message is popping up in the logs.

Is there any chance the software you're using got updated? The print to PDF functionality shouldn't need a driver or anything.

The Console app might give you an idea of what error message is popping up in the logs.
I had the latest version, but during my calls with tech support they installed a previous version, and test versions that they had. No luck

I'll have to check the console. Good idea.

Posted by my thumbs.

About 800 times

Posted by my thumbs.

Mac guy at the office suggests reinstalling OS without wiping.

What a PITA for sure.

Back