Anyone still gaming Nike VR_S forged irons?

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
So just like the title says, anyone still gaming these? I remember JB used to play them for a bit, wondering if he still does...

Hit these again today and still love how the feel, look, hit and perform.

The 6 iron is ridiculous. I barely hit my old 4 iron that far. They were long and consistent.

I hit them with the stock Nippon shaft, seemed to hit the ball very high (but super long). Did any of you reshaft these with KBS's, or other shafts? I'm currently gaming DG S300's. The Nippons are slightly lighter.

Thanks dudes!

Lowfi

Yes. My sig is always updated with whats in my bag.

Still one of, or if not my favorite irons released last year. Just had it all. Good looks, distance, forgiveness, solid feel, and sweet turf interaction.

JB - how did you setup your shafts? Why did you dump the Nippons? I absolutely crush these irons every time i've demoed them. Do you have huge gaps as you go into your scoring irons?

I was fit for my iron shafts and the KBS Tours were perfect for me.
I had my 50* bent to 49* and have no real gaps.

The distances I was hitting the mid-irons led me to believe that once I dropped down into my wedges there would be massive gaps. Do the KBS's give a more boring trajectory?

The distances I was hitting the mid-irons led me to believe that once I dropped down into my wedges there would be massive gaps. Do the KBS's give a more boring trajectory?

Mid to high and awesome feel.

Are they really Endo forged?

I still want a set.....

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

OK so here are the head to head numbers!! Let me know what you guys think and if you think it is worth spending the additional money. FWIW the Nike's had the stock Nippon shafts and my shafts are the TT DGS300's. These were my best 8 shots with each club using a Bridgestone E6.

Nike VRS Forged v. Mizuno MX300 (7 iron). The following numbers all go Nike first followed by the Mizzy. Just to keep everyone informed, the VRS has a 31*facex37"L and the MX300 has a 33*facex36.75"L.

Monitor results:

Clubhead Speed: 79, 79
Ball Speed: 115.1, 114.9
Launch Angle: 19.3,19.8
Azimuth:-0.2, 0.8
Sidespin: 32, 149
Backspin: 5565, 6006
Total Spin: 5585, 6018
Descent Angle: 47, 48
Carry: 165.82, 163.45
Total Distance: 179.54, 176.30
Offline: -0.60, 4.81
Peak Height: 34.83, 35.82

I am excited to hear your feedback.

Cheers,

Low

Personally I like the mizuno numbers better. What did you feel more comfortable and consistent with?

I'm with Scrap, your numbers look really good with both irons, I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading unless you were significant improvement on your poor shots.

They are that good! I've sold the shafts I had in my set, but still have the components looking for a new shaft partner. Thought about just selling the components as well, but can't seem to put the effort into it. I agree with Scrap about the numbers except you seem to be a bit more accurate with the Nike. Would be nice to hit JB's combo in May (Or at one of the Invitationals I get the privilege of attending) if they are still in the bag....that combo intrigues me. I would expect you to be getting a few extra yards with the 2* difference and the launch and descent angles to be a more spread than they are, but all is good.

Those components have that something special to them. Good luck.

I would personally stick with the mizzys. Better numbers I think. But ultimately it comes down to what you like better. The Nike numbers are good as well so whatever you feel is better for you I would go for it.

Why do you guys think the Mizzy's are better? I'm not too hot with the number analysis.

The only real difference I saw was the average offline amount in yards. It seemed that when I missed with the Mizunos it result in a weak push/fade whereas the Nike produced more of a draw. There were a few hooks thrown in the mix. Is a 4 yard offline average a big deal? The nikes were definitely more forgiving, but when I hit a solid shot both irons felt good. The nike forging felt just as nice as the Mizuno forging. The Nike VRS face felt really hot. The shafts in the Nikes were a bit lighter so if I got quick with my hands I tended to hit the ball left.

The Nike's seem to have better dispersion #'s but the increased spin and descent angle will lead to the ball being as close or closer to the hole anyway.

Dont know if you guys saw but I am currently gaming the Mizunos that I tested in this. This would purely be an upgrade if I decided to pull the trigger.

Really the only thing you would gain is some consistency with the Nikes. If that is enough for you to pull the trigger than do it. Otherwise I think you still have a good club in the mizzys.

The offline number is good with both, but the Nike number is really amazing. I'd try longer and shorter clubs, say 5I and PW and see how they compare. A 10-yd offline delta with the 5s would be significant and .6 vs. 4.8 IS significant with a PW if similar result.

See what happens then decide.

If I could find these at a decent price I would be all over them.

So here are the numbers comparing PW's and 5 iron's, first PW then 5i, mizzy first...

PW

Clubhead Speed:67,67
Ball Speed: 98.4, 97.9
Launch Angle: 27.1, 25.8
Azimuth:0.9,-1.1
Sidespin: 389, -240
Backspin: 8047, 8378
Total Spin: 8060, 8406
Descent Angle: 51, 50
Carry: 127.06, 126.60
Total Distance: 132.94, 132.22
Offline: 5.75, -5.53
Peak Height: 34.58, 32.63

5 Iron

Clubhead Speed:85, 84
Ball Speed: 123.6, 120.0
Launch Angle: 15.1, 16.3
Azimuth: 1.0, 2.1
Sidespin: 157, -119
Backspin: 4067, 3696
Total Spin: 4093, 3720
Descent Angle: 42, 42
Carry: 189.22, 186.4
Total Distance: 204.32, 201.04
Offline: 7.51, 3.45
Peak Height: 31.67, 31.14

Alright so there are the numbers after hitting 10 shots with each club. I would love to hear your feedback. I didnt realize my clubs were that long. So much for new technology? I did notice that my shot shape with the Nikes was definitely more right to left. My groupings were tighter with the mizunos. I was surprised by this as I thought the new more "GI" nikes would be more forgiving. However, this could be due to the shafts, me being used to my clubs, etc etc. Analyze away!!

I don't know how to analyze the numbers but interesting to see the older clubs are just as good if not better than the newer ones.

I've had mine in the bag for over a year. Usually played blades with heavier shafts but wasn't playing so much so needed something easy to hit, but still wanted the soft feel. I hit these better than my blades, higher and further, only thing is the shorter irons are not quite as easy to control, but tend to use my own wedges from inside 120.

Overall I'm very impressed with the nike irons these are very easy to launch and the lower spin is better for me playing on seaside links mostly, I can go without playing or hitting a ball for a couple of months and still hit them well, whereas I would have to play far more often using my others.

I still play mine and love em. Not looking to change anytime soon.

Back