Anyone up for a Central Ohio/Northen Ohio Spring Gathering?

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
@PKorf organized one helluva a good time last year where he invited any THP'er that wanted to go to his club. Which was awesome of him, gave me my first in person THP experience, and I met some great folks. My first THP round was played with @Buckeyeduffer and @Grins , two great guys. Dad was in on it too, even though he’s not a THP member (despite my urging).

I’ve been waiting for someone to put together something similar this year but haven’t seen anything. I know Paul is a busier man this year from his posts so not really expecting him to organize one again.

If someone wants to organize one that would be great, if not I can put together a little something if there is interest. I’m not a member anywhere, but there are two really nice public courses about 20 minutes apart near me. Both have fantastic conditions. Both have fantastic food menu’s. Both rounds would be in the $50.00 range, probably slightly under.

One is an old school parkland style course, Ashland Golf Club-formerly Ashland Country Club and it was ranked as one of the top 20 courses under $50.00 in America by Golf Digest a few years ago. It’s a tough but fair test and tips out around 6600 yards. The greens aren’t especially hard (but are fast and roll true) and the long holes are protected by length, the shorter holes are risk/reward. It’s tight but not particularly so, and I’d recommend anyone playing for the first time to get a yardage book unless you are paired with someone with course knowledge. There are several holes with FW’s bisected by a creek.

The other course is Deer Ridge. Beautiful course and Mountain Golf in NC Ohio. It has the hardest greens I’ve ever played (and I’ve played Muirfiled Village in Dublin OH, Jack’s Course-once), but they should be fairly benign in the mid to late spring. @Sean will confirm the greens if he see’s this. Again, tips out in the 6600-6800 range and has some crazy elavation changes for around here.

If planning is left up to me, I’d probably plan on the Morning round being at Ashland GC and the afternoon being Deer Ridge. The restaurant at both is superb, but there is lots more decent and inexpensive lodging by Deer Ridge for those that wanna indulge in a few after the round or would rather spend the night due to drive time.

I could set up for either a Saturday or a Sunday, probably any weekend (outside Memrial Day weekend in May).

Anyone interested in taking over (you won’t hurt my feelings:)) feel free to let me know. Anyone interested in playing please respond below with what date(s) would work for you for a Saturday or Sunday in May. Saturday would probably be best, but if more can make a Sunday work just let me know.

I can set this up if there’s enough interest. Even a couple foursomes would be enough as I haven’t met a THP’er yet that isn’t awesome. Ultimately the date would be decided by the best date for the most people as well as course availability on those dates.

If you’re anywhere nearby and haven’t played these courses, they’re both great in their own way. Deer Ridge would be my all time favorite course except they built it 20 years ago and the slope on the greens was designed to have them Stimp at 9-10. They usually have them rolling in the 12-13 range so if the pins in a bad spot, just pick up your balk after a 4 putt, lol.

Lots of typing, sorry-good at that. But if you have interest let me know. Next Monday I’ll determine if there’s enough and what date to plan on. Again, it’ll be the best date for the most folks, with course availability factored in. This place has been so good to me I’d like to give a little back. It’d be awesome to have some of the local folks that competed at the THP Bridgestone Championship last summer there. Thinking local, I can think of @PKorf @Gman79 and @Nerdy_81. Roomie Darren isn’t too far off and would love to play another round if you can make it over this way. My Pardner @djt311 has probably seem enough of my hackerness for a lifetime but if he’s up for some more golf watching punishment, obviously welcome too. Anyone and everyone is welcome. There’s only two rules, play at a reasonable pace and don’t be a Richard. Unless your name is Richard and then just don’t act like one...;)

Nate AKA Smiter

Yes, the greens at Deer Ridge were the toughest I ever faced. After a while all you could do was laugh. Very nice course, but those greens...

I'm probably gonna have to take a "wait and see" approach. Need to see how long it's going to take to recover from this gallbladder surgery. And...since I missed so much work, I have a feeling weekends are going to be way busier until about June:mad:

Depending on dates I would be in.

Sounds like fun, definitely depending on the date and if momma will let me out

Keep me in the loop I may be able to play

Keep me in the loop! Hope to play at least 18... Also have to see if north or central makes more sense based on responses. I think @PKorf and @dupaloop3611 mentioned this rotates which is cool...

I'm close enough and would be interested. May from what I know (I don't make my schedule) should be fairly open in terms of weekends, but it would be safer the later in may we could make it.

Depending on when I could be in. Weekend of May 16/17 is a no go for me, but most other weekends are good right now.

I would be interested. I'll be in Myrtle Beach the last week of April and the first week of May, but I'm good for most anything else

May is a pretty busy month for me so not sure if I could make it down there but will monitor to see what dates get selected and go from there.

Depends on dates and timing as we have a ton of activities in the month of May. Would love to get one last round in with my Ohio boys before we pack up our roots & head to Florida.

Not to step on toes but I'm working on a gathering in Columbus which due To it's location would hopefully attract folks from all over the state. I think last time we had ,28 or so guys.

Looking at June ish for it. More deets to come.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

As stated if someone else wants to take over you won’t be stepping on any toes here. Wasn’t aware of a Northern Vs Central rotating deal just know I had a blast despite us taking canoes as opposed to carts last year. So if someone else wants to take over and change courses just let me know. Again, you won’t be hurting my feelings-at all. Absent that I’ll wait until next Monday and then pick a date based on course availability and what seems to work best for the most folks.

Sorry to hear of your surgery @Grins, I hated every minute of being laid up after my accident. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Not to step on toes but I'm working on a gathering in Columbus which due To it's location would hopefully attract folks from all over the state. I think last time we had ,28 or so guys.

Looking at June ish for it. More deets to come.

Ha, we posted at the same time. It’s all yours sir. I just hadn’t seen anything and wanted to get a group together again.

Ha, we posted at the same time. It’s all yours sir. I just hadn’t seen anything and wanted to get a group together again.
No problem man. Just started kicking the tires on it Sunday or Monday night when I saw what the schedule was looking like.

I'll throw together a new thread hopefully next week or so.

Sounds good Mr Dean.

If a mod sees this go ahead and close this one up. Thanks!

I'd be in for either with the exception of mid May...I'll be in Australia at my brothers wedding.

Back