Anyone use a component club, putter??

butchammon

Keeping it "old school"
Reaction score
Handicap
what?
Just a curiosity question regarding the thousands upon thousands of makes, models, and various "flavors" of golf clubs: Has anyone or does anyone still use a component club that you assembled yourself or had a tech build it for you?

My putter story:
Probably about 15 or 16 years ago or something, an older former nextdoor neighbor and I used to play golf a lot. He had a friend of his who used to build/assemble golf clubs in his basement as a hobby. One day the friend was visiting and my neighbor introduced us. One thing led to another and the guy was talking about various putters, and he said he could make me a putter. He borrowed a yardstick from my neighbor, measured me, watched me practice a putt on my neighbors living room carpet, etc... and he said I have a smooth, straight, out 'n back putting stroke. Anyway, lo and behold, he made me a generic, unknown brand, mallet head putter. It is probably considered a "knockoff" of the famous Odyssey Rossie II putter. Basic simple design, black polymer face, etc... The best part is I sink putts with it! Who cares what brand it is - or what it's supposed to be!

A while later, seeing that it had no markings or any identifying features, I got a little creative on my computer with MS Word and used that template thing called "Word Art" and typed my name. I printed it out on glossy photo paper, and my wife helped me carefully cut it out to fit the inside backing of the putter. We glued it in place with a hot glue gun, and it's been there ever since!

zQwGT5H.jpg

Cool story and creativity

Very nice. Play what works.

See my WITB in my signature. I've assembled most of my clubs. Other than the driver and putter, I've built them all. Even bent the loft/lie on my irons before I got rid of my bending machine years ago.

One of my old putters I referred to as a Junk Yard Rat. I stripped the paint (and added a little black,) added a black shaft, and a black grip. None of it was how it originally came. I loved that putter and I regret selling it a few years ago (I sold it for practically nothing.) Wish I could have it back, but the last time I saw it pop up for sale someone had pieced it out :crying:

I've built all of the clubs in my bag from Drive to Putter. They fit my game and I had a good time assembling the set.

Back