Anyone use a high-trajectory driver?

Nuevo_eph

Reaction score
Handicap
I've shelved the driver for being naughty again and have focused on teeing off with my SF 5W. I'm just absolutely amazed well that guy has been treating me and I'm seriously thinking about getting my next driver to be a HT Superfast and cutting it down an inch.

It's a bit embarrassing to swing a stiff flex 13 degree driver but I can definitely suck it up as long as I stay in the fairway.

Anyone else a youngish guy that tried hitting an HT driver and did you regret it? Is it just a stepping stone as you became a better golfer? For reference, I'm a 32 yo guy, handicap of 24 and falling a bit each month, with a ss of ~92-95 mph. My course is shorter than normal too. Current driver is a 10.5 Wilson Spine.

It's been posted here many times before, your scorecard doesn't know what you're hitting. Hit what works for you!

I played a 12 degree for many years. For me it is all about optimal flight numbers and that gave it to me. Nothing wrong with it at all and I would never let something like that embarrass you.

Nuevo, to be honest, I find your post quite refreshing. IMO, you shouldn't have one single concern pursuing a higher lofted driver, especially with your swing speed. No doubt that you would benefit from the extra loft and I would assume that you might see a significant increase in distance off the tee. To many people get caught up in what they should be playing based off of what guys on TV are playing and I wish that wasn't the case.

This step could very well be a stepping stone step as your swing/strength/game imporve but I believe it's a step that will benefit you right now. I say go for it, and forget about the stigma attached to gaming a driver that's higher lofted.

A lot of people fail to recognize that even JB had a stint with the higher lofted SL driver from Cleveland, and if my memory serves me, he saw some great results with it.

If it works for you then no shame in it dude. I have a 13* low trajectory 3W that I can hit like a driver. I've hit that thing really really well and could probably drop the driver all together if I wanted to. Do what works man.

OEM Kevin

I use a 12* driver now and have a 12.5* on the bench.

I suppose you could use a lower loft driver with a high launch shaft if you prefer.

I've shelved the driver for being naughty again and have focused on teeing off with my SF 5W. I'm just absolutely amazed well that guy has been treating me and I'm seriously thinking about getting my next driver to be a HT Superfast and cutting it down an inch.
It's a bit embarrassing to swing a stiff flex 13 degree driver but I can definitely suck it up as long as I stay in the fairway.
Anyone else a youngish guy that tried hitting an HT driver and did you regret it? Is it just a stepping stone as you became a better golfer? For reference, I'm a 32 yo guy, handicap of 24 and falling a bit each month, with a ss of ~92-95 mph. My course is shorter than normal too. Current driver is a 10.5 Wilson Spine.

I have played either a 12 degree or a 13 degree driver for years and I am not the least bit embarrassed to say so. Like already pointed out, your score card has no idea what your hitting. I was fit years ago to the loft with my swing and it works perfectly for me. The stigma has always been that only a real hack would use a driver of this loft but that is nothing more than ego run amuck. I have no egos in my golf game.
Almost everyone I play with have less loft in their drivers and I give up very little distance to any of them, and in fact I'm just as long many times off the tee. The benefit for me is that I hit a high percentage of fairways and accuracy trumps length any day for me.
My PGA pro says he hears all the time from players that can't figure out why they hit their 3 wood almost as far as the driver but more a lot straighter.... The pro also says that only one in four guys that have fittings that show they need more loft in their driver will actually follow through and make the change. Why is that?
I often said that I would play with a bag of ladies clubs if they made me play better. When it comes to the equipment in my bag, I could care less what anyone else thinks outside of my teacher.

Carl Petterson is gaming an 11.5° driver. Not quite as high as you're talking about, but I think it goes to show that your swing should dictate the loft of driver you play.

I'm an old guy (52) handicap around the same as yours, been playing for less than a year and I use a 10.5* and love it

I use a high lofted driver sometimes.It's called a 3 wood.

I would go for it!

If you have low trajectory changing to either higher degree driver or a high trajetory shaft sounds like a good thing. Personally I would go for a HT driver head but that´s because most HT shafts I´ve tried has felt a bit "wobbly"

In the end, Who cares what you hit off the tee as long as your next shot is on the fairway?

I played a 12 degree for many years. For me it is all about optimal flight numbers and that gave it to me. Nothing wrong with it at all and I would never let something like that embarrass you.

Like I said, on paper it might bother me but if it worked I would be fine with it. Did you just get better enough to move beyond it?

Another thing to add is that it is pretty hard to get an affordable stiff HT driver. You either have to order it new from the company (no used cost break) or wait and wait for an HT head and appropriate shaft to come up for sale.

I think I'm going to do the latter and keep any eye out for the components.

Another thing to add is that it is pretty hard to get an affordable stiff HT driver. You either have to order it new from the company (no used cost break) or wait and wait for an HT head and appropriate shaft to come up for sale.

I think I'm going to do the latter and keep any eye out for the components.

I think the new Cleveland ultralights will be something that might be what youre looking for with the Miyazaki shafts they offer. Ive seen quite a few HT drivers lately and with nice shafts. You may have to order one to get the stiff flex but with no upcharge. Something to check out.

Like I said, on paper it might bother me but if it worked I would be fine with it. Did you just get better enough to move beyond it?

That is a misnomer. Do not believe for a second that better players play lower loft, etc...

There are guys on tour playing high lofted drivers and other guys playing low lofted. Its about finding the right launch numbers in total.

That is a misnomer. Do not believe for a second that better players play lower loft, etc...

There are guys on tour playing high lofted drivers and other guys playing low lofted. Its about finding the right launch numbers in total.

JB is totally right, Dustin Johnson plays 10.5, Tiger played 10 for awhile, Carl Petterson plays 11.5, Jim Furyk plays 10.5...alot of tour pros plays whatever is best for them as everyone should.

Club loft has nothing thing to do with skill. Its just like club distances. I could care less that I only hit a 7 iron 145 yards and others hit their 7 iron 175 yards. The number on the club means nothing to me as long as I now the distance each club will fly.

What I mean is that I have a lot a random variability in my shots - I can't consistently play a fade or a draw, etc. My goal with a higher lofted driver is to 1) reduce the effect of sidespin and minimize unexpected trajectories from my straight goal and 2) enjoy the larger head. To reach goal 1 I would be willing to do that even if it meant I was too lofted and losing some carry. So, my comment was meant for someone who has started at "too" high of a loft but later gotten in control of their swing enough to move to a more agressive loft in order to get those missing yards back.

I used a Hibore XL Superloft for a year while trying to get my driver swing under control. Beautiful high shots right down the middle every time. Never regretted it- and no one ever asked me 'what loft is that thing?'.

And yes 2 years later I am using a 9.5*.

I have always wanted to, but I have never seen a LH one. If I could find one, I'd definately give it a shot to be in my bag.

What I mean is that I have a lot a random variability in my shots - I can't consistently play a fade or a draw, etc. My goal with a higher lofted driver is to 1) reduce the effect of sidespin and minimize unexpected trajectories from my straight goal and 2) enjoy the larger head. To reach goal 1 I would be willing to do that even if it meant I was too lofted and losing some carry. So, my comment was meant for someone who has started at "too" high of a loft but later gotten in control of their swing enough to move to a more agressive loft in order to get those missing yards back.

Who is giving you this information? Less loft does not automatically mean you will hit the ball further with a driver. I don't use a 12.5 degree driver because my swing is out of control.

I guess I must be an anomaly because I never found a higher lofted driver gave me more control. That's me and I wouldn't dare suggest that you'd have the same outcome.

I guess I must be an anomaly because I never found a higher lofted driver gave me more control. That's me and I wouldn't dare suggest that you'd have the same outcome.

So true. What works for me will more than likely not work for anyone else. I need higher loft to achieve a higher launch angle with a driver. Plain and simple. 12.5 degrees is perfect for my swing and swing speed. I hit the ball just as far as many of the guys I play with that have less loft. Distance is all about the swing and proper equipment.

For when my driving accuracy goes bye-bye and I'm in need of a confidence boost, I often resort to my 12* R540 at 44". It's all about finding the short-grass, I've never felt self-conscious at all about putting it into play.

Back