Anyone using a 10 finger grip?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been practicing alot between my own mat setup at home and x golf, and I just can't anymore cause I have such severe hand pain. I'm sure some of this has to do with i just need to relax, but I find that both the overlapping grip and interlocking just put a ton of pressure on my pinging and the outside of my hand on my trial hand (right hand). And I think I 10 finger grip could really help this, but I don't know anyone that plays this grip?

I use it on chip shots and bunkers. Just feels like I can manipulate the face better. Full shots, not so much shots just go left.

you might have just sold me on it. I would love for ANY of my shots to go left lol...i really struggle to close the club face so hmmm.

I haved used it and my best friend has used it for 30 years. It really frees up the hands but it can lead to bad habits. My friend used it great for about 20 years but recently I see his trail hand lifting the club in the backswing and then trail hands tries to steer and power the shot which does not work well. I think as long as the lead arm leads that the grip is not a huge deal but giving trail hands a full grip on the club could lead to problems imo.

People say "pain is weakness leaving the body!" and "No pain, no gain!"

I'm a firm believer in "no pain, no pain."

Find what works best for you. If it's a hybrid of interlock and 10 finger, or 7 finger and pinky off the club entirely, or something totally different, you shouldn't be in pain.

Is it something that a doc might want to take a look at, or maybe being caused by hitting to hard on the mat or something?

I'm a 36 year old with the body of 60 year old is part of the problem, but yea i think it has to do with hitting into a mat, and just overall sustainment of wanting to pracitce every day. I'm definitely gonna try the 10 finger though. I can definitely see where it could lead to some issues just because your two hands are alot more independent, but i'm a slicer all over the place and if it can help me get that club face square a bit more and help my hand pain. That's a pretty big win for my current game. It doesn't have to be a permanent long run solution

I use a 10 finger grip, but I suck so that’s not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Only during a scramble on the long drive holes.

I can actually use all 3 grips and last summer I dabbled with the 10 finger for awhile and to be honest I feel like I have more control with it.

This is the only grip I have ever used. Coming from a baseball background, it just felt more natural.

Nothing wrong with a 10 finger grip. Being a baseball player, before golf, I started my golf with a 10 finger, baseball grip. It worked just fine.

I switched to the overlap, Vardon grip at the urging of my swing instructor to help with a smoother hand release.through impact. There was some soreness that went away after continues use.

I even tried Furyk's double over lap grip with some success. Talk about a "loosie goosie" grip on the club.

I know a couple guys who have arthritis in their hands who have switched to the 10 finger grip due to pain from their previous Vardon grip. They say with more of the club grip in their palms, it alleviates some of pressure in their fingers, which alleviates most of the pain. They also wear two gloves to help battle their arthritis.

What ever works.

I can use all three, but 10 finger is what I am most comfortable with and use it the most. To me the 10 finger grip puts less stress on my hands as the pressure is more equalized on my swing.

Yes. I have good control with it. At 68 y.o. I needed more swing speed from whipping the club. The ten-finger grip has allowed me to grip the club lower into m fingers. This allows me more flexibility at the hand-golf grip connection. It is easier for me to sling the club downrange. I have gained 5 mph clubhead speed with the same accuracy.

An added benefit is I have been developing some soreness (arthritis???) in my right wrist just below my thumb. Getting the grip down into my fingers has released the pressure on the wrist joint, (I am a right-handed golfer), at the top of the backswing. And I now have a draw as my standard shot.

I do as I have smallish hands, it works for me. Have to use what is comfortable.

I've been down that same road. Started with Vardon, then overlapping and finally 10 finger. My right hand, especially my little finger was screaming after 9 holes (and several days thereafter). Since switching to a 10 finger grip, I don't have nearly as much discomfort and I feel like I'm able to loosen my grip. I also use Winn Excel Oversize grips and Bionic Reliefgrip gloves.

I use the ten finger for the driver to help eliminate the slice, probably helps as much as anything I have tried. No problems with pain and irons are reasonably straight.

I have just recently switched to one. I feel like I have a bit more power and control of the club face. I have smallish hands as well.

you might have just sold me on it. I would love for ANY of my shots to go left lol...i really struggle to close the club face so hmmm.
Do it. I was dealing with finger pain for years before I switched. Now I never have issues. Be warned, you'll probably initially go from slicing the ball to fighting off a nasty low hook. It's almost too easy to close the face until you get used to it.

If you are using steel shaft irons you may want to consider graphite. They are much more forgiving on the body. My hands aches for 3 days after a bucket of balls when I first started with steel shafts. I switched to graphite and have not had a problem since.

I was thinking about the hand pain and my hands used to hurt so bad I could hardly play and there were two things that really helped. Graphite shafts is good, and the most important was relaxing my grip. I was way too tense. Now, I play and don't even use gloves any more.

If you do practice too much though you can cause a lot of hand pain even with a relaxed grip and some of the strong grabbing grips will pull on your hands more. I know when I put a new grip on a club that is aggressive until it wears some and then it is easier to use.

Back