Anyone Using Glow Balls?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
With the days reaching their shortest, and tee times here being nearly impossible to get, thanks to so many working from home, I find myself asking if I should just book afternoon rounds, and break out the glow in the dark balls.

I've only ever played with them once, and I recall it didn't go well.

What are your thoughts? Do you have a favorite?

I tried one once. Problem was, I didn't really hit a straight ball at the time. Managed to find it after the first off-course expedition, not the second so it was short lived.

Personally, if it's dark enough to need a glow ball, there's a pretty good chance you can't see the target properly so (no pun intended) it's a shot in the dark to try and continue to play.

Maybe if the course was set up for it and had some background lighting (think night skiing) the ball would help, but otherwise I just don't see it helping. Plus they don't seem to perform like a regular ball.

I see the lost glow balls all over my course. In the summer they host night golf once a month. The kicker that keeps me from participating, is that they only give you one with your tee time. Even if it's only 9 holes....I need a LOT more of them.

Yes.

Night Flyers are the best IMO - unless you have really high ball speed you can use woods (I do)

These are activated by contact ie club face on ball only so many uses I’ve had a couple that I didn’t lose go dark in play

There are a couple other brands where you use a UV light, a playing partner uses that one but he says the flashlights are junk and the ball isn’t as bright.

Stay away from the ones thay ha e glow sticks that you insert break the sticks and the liquid leaks. If you get those DO NOT use them with woods.

They are best seen in the air on near full moons with snow cover.

If you think prairie dogs burrow, lots of luck finding your ball with the snow cover. Maybe if it’s a strobe and putting out 2k lumens.

Use old clubs. Some of these balls have been known to damage drivers/FW’s.

We’re frequently the last ones off the course this time of year. Always told to be “back by dark”.

“Be back by dark” means a lot of things. Such as if I’m even par through 7, it’s not too dark to play 8 and 9. If I’m plus 10, I’m bitching about the light on about hole 4.

Yes.

Night Flyers are the best IMO - unless you have really high ball speed you can use woods (I do)

These are activated by contact ie club face on ball only so many uses I’ve had a couple that I didn’t lose go dark in play

There are a couple other brands where you use a UV light, a playing partner uses that one but he says the flashlights are junk and the ball isn’t as bright.

Stay away from the ones thay ha e glow sticks that you insert break the sticks and the liquid leaks. If you get those DO NOT use them with woods.

I came in here to tag you, so glad to see you already responded.

100% agree with the glow stick ones. I was disappointed to see those are used at my course for glow ball. Will be buying a set of night flyers next year.

I came in here to tag you, so glad to see you already responded.

100% agree with the glow stick ones. I was disappointed to see those are used at my course for glow ball. Will be buying a set of night flyers next year.

in for a group order ha

I’m intrigued by the flashlight one, but then fumbling around with it is annoying as my playing partner does it every other hole and if it’s a crappy build you’re SOL

I play a couple rounds of night golf a year. We use Night Hawk balls. They turn on and off with a cell phone light and glow really bright. You really have to hit one deep OB to lose them. Also, you can play woods with them no problem. You’ll lose a little distance off a normal ball.

as @Junkyard said, I wouldn’t play them unless the course is setup with lighting around your targets.

I used to play bought golf a couple times a year using the ball you put a glow stick in. Man was it demoralizing when you'd hit one in the water and see a glow at the bottom of the creek!

My brother actually smashed the face of his driver in one year doing it. Ever since that happened I've been a little gun shy to try again but I think it would be a blast to take my daughter out to play sometime.

Back