Appearances as an Amateur Golfer

asca2

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently saw on Facebook that a local golf shop is advertising an appearance at their store by Beau Hossler, the 17 year old amateur who did well at this year's US Open. I don't want to be "that guy" and a know-it-all, but is an amateur golfer allowed to make appearances without losing his/her amateur status? Just wondering if anyone knows what the rules are. I always thought amateurs are not allowed to receive direct or indirect gains without losing their status. Obviously I am not trying to start trouble for the poor kid, but was just curious.

Are you sure he is getting an appearance fee?

I dont think there is an issue unless he is being paid an apperance fee, which I doubt he is

No I am not. I was just wondering what the rules exactly mean by an "indirect financial gain." Maybe he is just doing it for nothing at all, which is obviously completely fine. I was just curious to see if anyone knows how they interpret the indirect financial gain thing.

I dont think there is an issue unless he is being paid an apperance fee, which I doubt he is

My thoughts exactly, the Husker football players do that from time to time, and all jokes aside, they aren't "paid" for it!

Yea, I think you answered your own question. Direct or indirect gain. If he receives nothing, then I don't think it hurts amateur status.

~Rock

Back