Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan I'm looking to put an Apple Car Play into. After seeing how well these things work on my Bridgestone trip (thanks JB) I think I need to upgrade the awful uconnect I have currently. Does anyone have an aftermarket Apple Car Play radio they've had installed or would recommend? Thoughts? I'm looking at the base JVC model from Best Buy. Installed it would run about $400. I don't have a backup camera so I wouldn't need all those features.

We had a Pioneer installed in our Sprinter Van Tour Van. It was from Best Buy and under $400 and it was great.

I second Pioneer when it comes to Apple CarPlay.

The other model I was looking at was the Pioneer AVH-1550NEX but I must have missed the sale as it was $249 but listed at $349 now. Maybe I'll hold off a bit longer and wait for it to go on sale again. I'm hoping to keep the unit somewhere around $300 or under and then install will run me $140.

$400 would be worth it man. I have 2 hrs in my car daily with work commute so its paid for itself already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I took everyone's recommendations and went with the Pioneer AVH-1550NEX. Best Buy did a great job at install and I am loving the features of Apple Car Play. I didn't get the satellite attachment so I cancelled my Sirius/XM subscription and now just listen to the radio or golf podcasts. It's awesome having a touch screen and navigation along with voice to text options.

I agree, I just bought a new F-150 and It has Apple Car Play....LOVE IT, now the wife wants to upgrade the Juke. Cant say i blame her

Last edited:
So I took everyone's recommendations and went with the Pioneer AVH-1550NEX. Best Buy did a great job at install and I am loving the features of Apple Car Play. I didn't get the satellite attachment so I cancelled my Sirius/XM subscription and now just listen to the radio or golf podcasts. It's awesome having a touch screen and navigation along with voice to text options.

Glad you are enjoying it so much. Its a great feature.

Glad you are enjoying it so much. Its a great feature.

I blame this on you, I didn't know what I was missing until I saw it in action during the Bridgestone Fit Like a Pro Event.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I won’t ever buy a car without it. I don’t listen to radio at all, podcasts, audiobooks or streaming music only for me.

Mazda has an Apple CarPlay upgrade available for my 2016 CX-5...sounds like I need it!

Mazda has an Apple CarPlay upgrade available for my 2016 CX-5...sounds like I need it!
I definitely would. My current car was supposed to come with it. I realized on the way home that it wasn’t installed. I was planing on calling the dealership and letting them have it, but my wife found the update I needed and install instructions.

It’s pretty great

We put a Kenwood unit in my daughters car almost 4 years ago with a 8” touchscreen and CarPlay and it still works perfectly. Pioneer and others make great ones as well.

I use it daily with a combo of Waze(better route guidance) and Google Maps(better traffic indications). When travelling and my rental has it, I also have Sirius XM streaming from my phone as well.

I'm on the road a ton and CarPlay has come in so handy. I drove my truck today, which doesn't have it, and missed it a bunch. I'm not sure I can buy another vehicle without it.

My Outback has Carplay and Android Auto built in. I had been an AA user for the past two years, but just switched over to the iPhone. I'm getting used to Carplay, I prefer the AA interface, but it runs a lot better on my new iPhone 11 than AA did on my old Galaxy S7.

My biggest complaint so far is that I cannot change the default Maps app to Waze. Using Siri to get directions, or using the new dashboard view, it only works with Apple Maps.

I have Apple car play in the mustang. It’s handy as I don’t have GPS in the vehicle, otherwise, I’d be happy enough with Bluetooth. That being said, I made sure the dealer upgraded my wife’s CX9 to car play before we bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my first experience with it in a rental last week. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t been on autotrader looking at what it would take to upgrade to a vehicle with it. It’s a must moving forward.

I wish I had carplay in my truck. Unfortunately my 2009 F150 platinum has too much integrated into the head unit (i.e. AC controls), that replacing it with something aftermarket is near impossible. But when I travel and rent, I get excited when carplay is in the car.

Back