Apple Facebook Feud ramping up!

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This feud has been bubbling for a long time and Zuckerberg was in the news yesterday for his comments about Apple being one of Apple’s “biggest competitors” and Tim Cook has already responded, lol. Tim is a privacy advocate and now the soon to be released OS14 will include an app tracking transparency feature that will default tracking to “off” for apps like Facebook. This is going to be fun to watch, lol.

Here’s a quote from Tim Cook on the new app tracking transparency feature:

“We believe that this is a simple matter of standing up for our users. Users should know when their data is being collected and shared across other apps and websites — and they should have the choice to allow that or not,” Apple said in a statement. “App Tracking Transparency in iOS 14 does not require Facebook to change its approach to tracking users and creating targeted advertising, it simply requires they give users a choice.”

Well this should be fun to keep an eye on. Not like Apple isn’t tracking us too

Everyone that has given access to Instagram to use the microphone has talked about something only to have it be in their advertisements the next time they opened it up. Privacy is pretty much dead and gone, but I appreciate Apple trying to do the right thing by letting you decide.

More info on the new Apple privacy feature. I’m sure this will be in the news a lot in the coming months.

Last edited:
Don't use the apps for social media. Go to their site from your browser. Installing a FB, Insta, etc app on your phone is giving them free rein to your data to sell it to their customers. If you visit their browser location the only thing that happens is they know what you're doing on their site.

Should be very interesting to follow

I'm looking forward to this fight!

Both have their issues, but on this one I appreciate what apple is doing. Apple’s customers are people. Facebook’s customers are advertisers who consume people’s data. Privacy and security matter to me. 👍
Absolutely correct. In terms of social media, the users are the product being sold.

This was my thought.. They just want to be the only one tracking you on their devices.. Facebook is a cesspool. I would completely fine if they went away.

Everyone that has given access to Instagram to use the microphone has talked about something only to have it be in their advertisements the next time they opened it up. Privacy is pretty much dead and gone, but I appreciate Apple trying to do the right thing by letting you decide.
Agree wholeheartedly. I appreciate Apple trying to do this. Privacy is an illusion and has been long gone unfortunately. The websites providing "free" content are actually not free. We just don't see the cost of our data sharing on a receipt. This should be interesting.

Don't use the apps for social media. Go to their site from your browser. Installing a FB, Insta, etc app on your phone is giving them free rein to your data to sell it to their customers. If you visit their browser location the only thing that happens is they know what you're doing on their site.
I understand what you are saying, but the instant need to always be on social media will never allow it to not be on peoples phones.

How would I be able to keep up with THP?

That is why I switched from a android phone to Apple. Apple sells products, every other company YOU are the product and your info is being sold.

I understand what you are saying, but the instant need to always be on social media will never allow it to not be on peoples phones.

How would I be able to keep up with THP?

Use your phone just don't install the app. I assume you have a Chrome Browser on your phone?

Yeah but Apple wants all the kickbacks & money attached to every click. :rolleyes: So they block out their nearest competitor

Interesting! I’m glad that someone appears to be pushing back against the facebook.

Billionaire Boys Club 2

200.gif

Use your phone just don't install the app. I assume you have a Chrome Browser on your phone?
I see. That makes sense. The apps are so convenient though. They have been installed on my phone so long I don’t know if it matters at this point or not.

I think it has really just become the norm. I had a co worker not know how to make coffee in a regular drip with a pot. All they knew was keurig. Crazy.

I see. That makes sense. The apps are so convenient though. They have been installed on my phone so long I don’t know if it matters at this point or not.

I think it has really just become the norm. I had a co worker not know how to make coffee in a regular drip with a pot. All they knew was keurig. Crazy.
Seriously? That is insane

Wait, you can make coffee at home? I thought they only sold it at Starbucks...

Quoting this because people need to read it twice.

DO NOT INSTALL SOCIAL MEDIA APPS. USE THEIR WEBSITES INSTEAD!

(Now if I could only get my wife to delete Facebook from her phone and tablet. 😔)

Absolutely correct. In terms of social media, the users are the product being sold.

I'm never been a FB user and was a very light Instagram and twitter user( a handful of tweets in the last 4 years) but those apps I deleted a few months ago and I've been able to limit my twitter use to just a few minutes a week. I also don't use Google Maps and rarely used the google search engine as I recently switched to DuckDuckGo. I applaud Apple for making it a little easier for consumers to begin protecting their privacy. Now if I could get my daughters to stop using social media but that seems like an impossibility. :)

I recently saw something about Facebook and having setting that would allow them to track your offline/off-facebook activity. Sure enough, some recent update adding a setting in Facebook that defaults to letting the app use your phone to collect everything it wants even, when you're not using it.

I'm never been a FB user and was a very light Instagram and twitter user( a handful of tweets in the last 4 years) but those apps I deleted a few months ago and I've been able to limit my twitter use to just a few minutes a week. I also don't use Google Maps and rarely used the google search engine as I recently switched to DuckDuckGo. I applaud Apple for making it a little easier for consumers to begin protecting their privacy. Now if I could get my daughters to stop using social media but that seems like an impossibility. :)

You might want to check out the Brave browser too while you’re locking things down. It’s webkit based, so it should have similar compatibility to Chrome, but it’s privacy focused.

Back