Sure as hell looks like a big IPhone to me. But for someone who uses their IPhone as a golf GPS, such as myself, I could see where this could help. Although, I'd be hesitant to bring $1000 glass computer where the elements and stray golf balls and clubs can get to it.

I'm not a fan of Apple in general but this thing looks pretty cool, too bad it will be way overpriced like all of their other offerings.

Pricing starts at $499

I'm thinking that this may be my next computer. To heck with a desktop, and I don't really need a laptop.

That is a good price... might be just what I need for my daughter myself and I'll let my daughter have my laptop.

iPad?
How long until the feminine hygiene jokes start popping up.

Im a fan of Macs and I like my Ipod but I have managed to stay away from the phone. I dont think I would have much use for this either.

Not sure if I want this... Being in school still, a tablet would be a nice replacement for paper to take notes on. But at the same time, I could live with just paper.

The price is pretty decent as well.

I'll have to wait to see what the next gen Iphone is going to be like...

Re: Apple IPad

TheGasman said:
iPad?
How long until the feminine hygiene jokes start popping up.

they're already trending on Twitter.

I luv my MacBook but not more than my iMac. and iPhone pwns all phones. iPad should make a nice addition to my fanboy stable.

they're already trending on Twitter.

I luv my MacBook but not more than my iMac. and iPhone pwns all phones. iPad should make a nice addition to my fanboy stable.

Im on my 5th Mac Book so I like them, I just havent fallen for the Iphone hype. It could be that im not willing to switch from Verizon.

Im on my 5th Mac Book so I like them, I just havent fallen for the Iphone hype. It could be that im not willing to switch from Verizon.

hold tight. there's a pretty significant rumor that apple will soon be dumping the AT&T exclusivity. i've been with at&t forever....back in the old Cingular days. i'll never switch from at&t but that's at least good news for the other carriers.

Starting at $499? Hell yeah, hello small business computer writeoff.

hold tight. there's a pretty significant rumor that apple will soon be dumping the AT&T exclusivity. i've been with at&t forever....back in the old Cingular days. i'll never switch from at&t but that's at least good news for the other carriers.

Yes it looks like that will happen but not until 2011-12. Personally I can't wait... the only reason I'm still with AT&T is because of the IPhone. Of course I'd like to switch to Verizon but I heard they will be the last to get the IPhone since their CDMA tech is the furthest one from GSM.

As soon as that happens I'm going to make like AT&T did to Tiger.

Bit big to use as a phone.. but I have been apple since '86 so I am temped. The idea of a quick web surfer/email thing is good. 499 is good. On the apple site they have some nice options with it as well.....

Pricing starts at $499

I'm thinking that this may be my next computer. To heck with a desktop, and I don't really need a laptop.

Yes but that version doesn't have 3G connectivity, etc. If you want that + WiFi you'll need to pony up $800+ ....never mind the data plan cost

That is a good price... might be just what I need for my daughter myself and I'll let my daughter have my laptop.

Good entry price until you see the extra features, etc available on the other models...then you're talking the price of a MacBook which has more memory, etc?

Bit big to use as a phone.. but I have been apple since '86 so I am temped. The idea of a quick web surfer/email thing is good. 499 is good. On the apple site they have some nice options with it as well.....

Somehow I don't think this is intended to be used as a phone unless you throw Skype on it. The iPad is more designed to take out Amazon's Kindle, Sony's eReader, and to appeal to those who are stuck with whether they want a netbook or not. This is Apple's move to do for books (iBooks) what they did for music (itunes)

Check it out....

San Francisco, California (CNN) -- Apple CEO Steve Jobs on Wednesday unveiled the iPad, the widely and wildly anticipated tablet-style computer that he called "a truly magical and revolutionary product."
"What this device does is extraordinary," Jobs said. "It is the best browsing experience you've ever had. ... It's unbelievably great ... way better than a laptop. Way better than a smartphone."
The computer will act as a sort of missing link between the two. The model Jobs demonstrated at an invitation-only event in San Francisco operated without a hardware keyboard, withJobs typing on what he described as a nearly full-size touchscreen keyboard.
"It's a dream to type on," he said.
It has a nearly 10-inch screen, runs existing apps from the Apple apps store and is available in 16-gigabyte,32-gigabyte and 64-gigabyte versions, according to Jobs.
It will be about a half-inch thick and weigh about 1½ pounds.

The device will have a1 GHz processor, an announcement that coaxed "oohs" and "ahs" from the audience.
Pricing will start at $499 for the 16-gigabyte version, $599 for the 32-gig version and $699 for the 64, Jobs said.
Having 3G mobile access will cost an extra $130 on each, he said.
Two mobile plans will be available through AT&T, and there will be no contracts, allowing customers to opt out at any time, according to Jobs.
They are scheduled to begin shipping in 60 days.
Jobs and executives from other companies announced several new apps designed for the iPad, including the New York Times and Major League Baseball. The slate also will be able to run all iPhone applications unmodified.
Some members of the struggling print media have expressed hope in recent weeks that a popular Apple tablet could renew interest in their content while bringing new revenue through subscription plans or iTunes purchases.
Also creating buzz at the event was the unveiling of the iBook interface, an aspect of the iPad that's expected to take a big bite out of the e-reader market currently dominated by Amazon's Kindle.
The iBook display looks like a real wooden bookshelf and will let users touch a book on that shelf to read it. It lets readers change fonts, tap the screen to turn pages or drag pages with their finger, according to Jobs' demonstration.
Jobs demonstrated several functions on the iPad, including Google Street View and used the reader function to pull up the New York Times and Time magazine.
Apple disciples -- and, yes, some await each new product announcement from the company with near cult-like devotion -- have been anticipating a tablet computer for several years.
The company has been considering designs for such a device since as early as 1983, and some smaller consumer-electronics companies already have rolled tablet computers onto the market.
Early reaction to the device from devoted fans trended largely positive.
"I've got that old iLust feeling again for the new Apple iPad," technology blogger Heather Clancy wrote on her Twitter feed. "Why can't any other tech company make me feel this way?"
But some early concerns were emerging among technophiles. There was some groaning across the Internet at the news that AT&T -- which some iPhone users have accused of spotty coverage on the iPhone -- would be carrying the iPad's 3G signal too.

Good entry price until you see the extra features, etc available on the other models...then you're talking the price of a MacBook which has more memory, etc?

That makes sense, typical Apple. I won't be buying one anyway. haha

Two major drawbacks for me.

1. No voice. So to call anyone you will need to use Skype or some other VOIP service.

2. It cannot multitask. Meaning you can't be listening to iTunes and typing an email. That is a simple feature that computers have that this device doesn't.

Unrelated I also am not a fan of the name iPad? That is the best they could come up with? Some disappointment with the marketing department.

Unrelated I also am not a fan of the name iPad? That is the best they could come up with? Some disappointment with the marketing department.

My thoughts exactly....the Apple haters on Twitter are already calling it 'iTampon'

Two major drawbacks for me.

2. It cannot multitask. Meaning you can't be listening to iTunes and typing an email. That is a simple feature that computers have that this device doesn't.

are you sure? i am not..... but if iPhone can do it....why wouldn't iTamp...er....iPad be able to? i watched some bits of the roll-out but not the entire thing.

are you sure? i am not..... but if iPhone can do it....why wouldn't iTamp...er....iPad be able to? i watched some bits of the roll-out but not the entire thing.

From an engadget article:

There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.

Here is the full article.

Apple iPad first hands-on! -- Engadget

There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.

wow. that does bite. i was hoping for an improvement in that respect. and i guess i was thinking that you can listen to iPod and do everything else. but not multi-task with multiple apps.

steve jobs....if you're reading this....get on that.

wow. that does bite. i was hoping for an improvement in that respect. and i guess i was thinking that you can listen to iPod and do everything else. but not multi-task with multiple apps.

steve jobs....if you're reading this....get on that.

That's coming out in the next version....iPad-s.....only $2k....get yours!

yikes. That is enough to keep me from buying it.

Pandora, slacker etc. No.

iPod, yes.

If you have the music on your iPod on the device, I'm pretty certain you can play it in the background while emailing, browsing etc. The OS is just an upgraded iPhone OS...

Back