Appropriate Usage of the Word Golf?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I asked this on social, but wanted to ask here as well.

I say all of them, even though it should probably only be I went and played golf.

all fine, plus "I golfed the hell out of my ball today" is also acceptable.

I would use all 3 in the right context.

I use all of those terms, at least in California all seem to be pretty common. I see this pop up on social media sometimes, is this a regional thing?

I am not too critical. They all make sense and can be understood. Why try and be an english teacher? I think "I just golfed" sounds a little strange, and would probably default to "I just played golf". But again, I have probably said "just golfed" a time or two.

Bigger things to worry about. All are fine with me.

All are appropriate.
Unless you are a stuffy purist:)

I say all of them, even though it should probably only be I went and played golf.
This is me as well.. I'm not the grammar police type

The last one gives me the heebeejeebies. I wouldn't say "I just golfed". I woud say "I just went golfing".

The only one that really stands out to me is "I played golf". There is no playing, I just golfed. I use the term golfing as in, "I'm golfing" but usually save the word golfed as in, "I've gofled a lot lately". So while they may not always be appropriate sometimes they are when used in proper context.

The last one gives me the heebeejeebies. I wouldn't say "I just golfed". I woud say "I just went golfing".

Same, but I'm not going to correct anyone.

@Canadan "golf's a ball"
what was that saying a while back? lol

I think 99.9% of the time I say, I went to the golf course today.

Said them all and wouldnt think anything of it when someone says it

I use all kinds terms with the word "golf" in them.

Never really worried about it. My meanings were usually understood by others with the same affliction.....lol

I would never use the word “golfed” in any context. Played golf, going golfing, I play golf, all fine.

no issues here, just get out and golf!

Ah, the seemingly endless debate of whether golf is a noun or a verb, or can it be both. Go with both it's easier.
I will not golf this weekend.
I will not play golf this weekend.

Besides runners run and swimmers swim, so why can't golfers golf? :LOL:

I wouldn’t think twice about hearing any of those. They all get the point across and I know what was meant if I said or heard these

I would never say, "I just golfed." I wouldn't bat an eye if someone else said it.

It stands out more to me when someone goes out of their way trying not to use the casual usages, than when they do. All fine with me.

All of them are acceptable to me!

I say I'm going golfing or I want to play golf. I went golfing...I don't think I've ever said I golfed yesterday.

I just golfed doesn’t look or sound right to me.mi don’t use it but don’t care if others do.

Back