Apps to sell and buy?

Song Dog

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m seriously old school and there is stuff I need to sell and could buy. Selling clubs w/o an app can make things take longer.
So here is my Q… which app is the safest and what do you use (Venmo cashapp ?)

I use Mullie or buy/sell on here with Venmo or PayPal but only work with AC members.

I usually trade my stuff in through Callaway preowned. But that only works if you’re wanting to buy Callaway.

I've used both Venmo and PayPal to send money, and Venmo to receive.

Make sure you understand the difference between "goods and services" vs. "friends and family" payment types. The former incurs a fee, paid by the seller, the latter does not. The former provides some degree of buyer protection for the buyer, the latter provides none.

Be advised: If you receive $600 or more in payments via such payment processors, you may find yourself in receipt of, and having to deal with, 1099-K forms at the end of the tax year. See: IRS 1099-K Form: When You Might Get One From Venmo, PayPal, Others. So retain careful documentation of all transactions.

ETA: I strongly recommend one not leave received funds sitting in their on-line payment systems' accounts. These companies have been known to exercise... how shall I put this...? "questionable" stewardship of their customers' funds, in my opinion. E.g.: Seizing/freezing funds based upon their belief some-or-another of their Terms of Service have been violated. When funds are received, transfer them to your bank account ASAP.

Last edited:
I’ve had good luck selling stuff through my wife’s Facebook Marketplace. Most online stuff buy is PayPal….which goes into checking….then somehow ends up Venmo’ed to my daughter because I’m a softy.

So when you Venmo there’s a way to see their “Venmo history”. Apparently the kids think it’s funny to put oddball things in the memo field. My head almost exploded when I saw my daughters. Needless to say, I showed my age. She didn’t really pay for hookers and cocaine, just stole the line from “The Hangover” 🤣🤣

I've used both Venmo and PayPal to send money, and Venmo to receive.

Make sure you understand the difference between "goods and services" vs. "friends and family" payment types. The former incurs a fee, paid by the seller, the latter does not. The former provides some degree of buyer protection for the buyer, the latter provides none.

Be advised: If you receive $600 or more in payments via such payment processors, you may find yourself in receipt of, and having to deal with, 1099-K forms at the end of the tax year. See: IRS 1099-K Form: When You Might Get One From Venmo, PayPal, Others. So retain careful documentation of all transactions.

ETA: I strongly recommend one not leave received funds sitting in their on-line payment systems' accounts. These companies have been known to exercise... how shall I put this...? "questionable" stewardship of their customers' funds, in my opinion. E.g.: Seizing/freezing funds based upon their belief some-or-another of their Terms of Service have been violated. When funds are received, transfer them to your bank account ASAP.

Good advice. I go a step further. I opened a separate online bank account through Ally and deposited a minimal amount of money. My Venmo and PayPal are both linked to that account instead of my real bank account.

I’ve had good luck selling stuff through my wife’s Facebook Marketplace. Most online stuff buy is PayPal….which goes into checking….then somehow ends up Venmo’ed to my daughter because I’m a softy.

So when you Venmo there’s a way to see their “Venmo history”. Apparently the kids think it’s funny to put oddball things in the memo field. My head almost exploded when I saw my daughters. Needless to say, I showed my age. She didn’t really pay for hookers and cocaine, just stole the line from “The Hangover” 🤣🤣

There's a setting on Venmo to hide the transactions. I don't know why everyone doesn't set it to private. But I'm old also.

Back