April is Autism Awareness Month

PackersGirl

2022 Grandaddy Alum
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
April is Autism Awareness month. Our oldest son is Autistic. He's high functioning but we still had to learn, adapt and change so much throughout his life. We've had our highs and our lows but one thing is for sure, there needs to be more compassion and kindness to kids and adults that are "different" in the worlds eyes. I use the word "different" loosely because aren't we all quirky in our own way?
So, maybe in April show a little more kindness and compassion towards people who are different than you. Talk to your kids about Autism, help them understand that just because they may act a little quirky in some ways, they're still fun to be around!

Here are some intetesting facts from the Autism Speaks website:
  • In 2021, the CDC reported that approximately 1 in 44 children in the U.S. is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), according to 2018 data.
    • 1 in 27 boys identified with autism
    • 1 in 116 girls identified with autism
  • Boys are four times more likely to be diagnosed with autism than girls.
  • Most children were still being diagnosed after age 4, though autism can be reliably diagnosed as early as age 2.
  • 31% of children with ASD have an intellectual disability (intelligence quotient [IQ] <70), 25% are in the borderline range (IQ 71–85), and 44% have IQ scores in the average to above average range (i.e., IQ >85).
  • Autism affects all ethnic and socioeconomic groups.

Appreciate this as well!

My boss has an autistic son. Once they were able to determine the cause of his strange behavior they were able to interact with him accordingly.
It's becoming more common - please respect the condition (I won't use the word disability) and treat them with respect. It's not something they chose for themselves, but it's real and can be dealt with just like a vet who lost their leg (or similar)

Austism Speaks does Soo many good things for children with autism.

Great organization that needs supported. Thank you for bringing this to light this year.

Autism-Awareness-Puzzle-Piece-Heart-SVG-Graphics-1.png

Thank you for posting this.

Back