Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course (Arcadia, MI) - Course Review

I had the pleasure of playing here today and I definitely have mixed feelings about the course.

I'll start by saying I'm really happy I played the course to say I did it, but I don't know that I will play it anytime soon, and definitely won't be paying the $190 to play it again.

Course conditions were as good as a course that has a constant full tee sheet can be. If you hit into the popular areas then you will have to contend with a lot of sand filled divots.

I didn't feel the course layout was very difficult but the greens make the course very tough. I was able to hit 12/13 Fwys (topped the first drive of the day) and played the same ball all 18 holes.

The bunkers are definitely a penalty. I had to hit out sideways 3 times as I ended up against the wall (I did try for fun to see if it was possible to get it out towards the flagstick, it wasn't lol). The greens are like nothing I've ever seen. You could breath on the ball and make it move. Lots of 3 putts.

The views are spectacular. There is no denying that. That's what everyone remembers about the course.
a180514feaa40dbb4fe07a851cea24ff.jpg
8d83ccbd8e17e18f03177e56d2140b38.jpg
01fd064a2fe9700bf93cdd09fde362e2.jpg

I'll wrap up my thoughts with I throughly enjoyed the course but without the views I think this course is just a good track, but nothing amazing about the course. I'll also add that I kinda prefer the "Northern Michigan" courses with the tree lined fairways and lots of elevation changes. So Greywalls is definitely moving to the top of my must play.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you are ever in the UP play Gladstone Golf Club on your way to Grewalls....one of the best courses I have played.

It is really built to be played in the wind so yes it is much less penal on a calm day like today; the wind brings the course to life as you have to think through all the options and play a variety of shots. Fully agree with the $190 being too much but, as you noted, they pretty much are always busy so somebody is willing to pay for it. I restrict my play there to spring and fall.

I had the pleasure of playing here today and I definitely have mixed feelings about the course.

I'll start by saying I'm really happy I played the course to say I did it, but I don't know that I will play it anytime soon, and definitely won't be paying the $190 to play it again.

Course conditions were as good as a course that has a constant full tee sheet can be. If you hit into the popular areas then you will have to contend with a lot of sand filled divots.

I didn't feel the course layout was very difficult but the greens make the course very tough. I was able to hit 12/13 Fwys (topped the first drive of the day) and played the same ball all 18 holes.

The bunkers are definitely a penalty. I had to hit out sideways 3 times as I ended up against the wall (I did try for fun to see if it was possible to get it out towards the flagstick, it wasn't lol). The greens are like nothing I've ever seen. You could breath on the ball and make it move. Lots of 3 putts.

The views are spectacular. There is no denying that. That's what everyone remembers about the course.
a180514feaa40dbb4fe07a851cea24ff.jpg
8d83ccbd8e17e18f03177e56d2140b38.jpg
01fd064a2fe9700bf93cdd09fde362e2.jpg

I'll wrap up my thoughts with I throughly enjoyed the course but without the views I think this course is just a good track, but nothing amazing about the course. I'll also add that I kinda prefer the "Northern Michigan" courses with the tree lined fairways and lots of elevation changes. So Greywalls is definitely moving to the top of my must play.

Man I want to play this course real bad.

Man I want to play this course real bad.

You Ohio boys definitely need to make a road trip. I still think its my favorite course anywhere. Its just a ridiculously fun golf course with amazing views. You absolutely can score well there if the wind is down and you putt well. Its extremely forgiving off the tee on most holes and you can just rip the driver and smile. Been three years since I played there and need to get back asap.

You Ohio boys definitely need to make a road trip. I still think its my favorite course anywhere. Its just a ridiculously fun golf course with amazing views. You absolutely can score well there if the wind is down and you putt well. Its extremely forgiving off the tee on most holes and you can just rip the driver and smile. Been three years since I played there and need to get back asap.
Having never played either I'd love to get a group of THPers up there.

Having never played either I'd love to get a group of THPers up there.

I'm a THPer, I would like to play here :)

Awesome review Tyler, I'm sure the pics don't do it justice.

I'm a THPer, I would like to play here :)

Awesome review Tyler, I'm sure the pics don't do it justice.
That would be quite the journey for you. It's 2 1/2 hours from the closet major airport (Grand Rapids). Once again it's a great track but not one I'd travel 1000 miles for.

That would be quite the journey for you. It's 2 1/2 hours from the closet major airport (Grand Rapids). Once again it's a great track but not one I'd travel 1000 miles for.

Wouldn't be going just for the golf course :)

Wouldn't be going just for the golf course :)
Well if you're looking for some great golf with good people I'm planning a trip up that way next spring. Not Arcadia Bluffs but it's drivable if someone wanted to stay the extra day to play.

Well if you're looking for some great golf with good people I'm planning a trip up that way next spring. Not Arcadia Bluffs but it's drivable if someone wanted to stay the extra day to play.

Keep me posted

Puzzled as to why you could say something like this, and tout something "you're planning" next year.

If Boyne is what your after here, they are nice, but don't hold a candle to Arcadia Bluffs....
This place is amazing! And I have played some awesome courses.

Puzzled as to why you could say something like this, and tout something "you're planning" next year.

If Boyne is what your after here, they are nice, but don't hold a candle to Arcadia Bluffs....
This place is amazing! And I have played some awesome courses.
Good Ole THP where ones opinion only matters if it matches your own. I also have played really nice courses.

I enjoyed Arcadia Bluffs, I really did. But I'd never travel 1000 miles to get to it, especially if I was already having to get on a plane to get there.

And while they may not "hold a match to it" Boyne is the better destination to travel to. Arcadia literally has nothing else to offer other than a great golf course. Not to mention Bay Harbor Golf Club is part of the Boyne Courses and I actually liked that course more because it offered more than a strictly links course and had the same views. Not to mention they have 2-3 more top rated courses on property.

Last edited:
Going on vacation right near Arcadia at the end of July. Our hotel being 10 minutes away, I'm certainly going to have to play both courses. Still almost 8 months away....but I'm still excited! Something to look forward to for sure! :)

Going on vacation right near Arcadia at the end of July. Our hotel being 10 minutes away, I'm certainly going to have to play both courses. Still almost 8 months away....but I'm still excited! Something to look forward to for sure! :)

nice man, definitely want to get up there someday just no interested in that drive. Now if someone wants to rent a jet or a helicopter Im all in

Let us know how that south course is. I don't know anyone who has played it yet, but the hard edges and whatnot are interesting!

nice man, definitely want to get up there someday just no interested in that drive. Now if someone wants to rent a jet or a helicopter Im all in

Cinci to DTW to Traverse City. Courses are only a relatively short drive from there.

The second course looks really good and as an homage to CGC may have to get there soon.. I've heard good things about Arcadia Bluffs, like Whistling Straits but real, as opposed to completely manufactured.

Let us know how that south course is. I don't know anyone who has played it yet, but the hard edges and whatnot are interesting!

Cinci to DTW to Traverse City. Courses are only a relatively short drive from there.
Yeah I think that was the delta route I looked at and it was like way cheaper to fly to FL than 2 state away (granted that was super of 2016)

Catch a mega bus! Those things go everywhere! Meet me there!
Yeah I think that was the delta route I looked at and it was like way cheaper to fly to FL than 2 state away (granted that was super of 2016)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah the pics I've seen of the South Course look fantastic. Definitely has some CGC traits for sure! Excited to get out there and see how many balls I can lose. July is a good time to take that ferry across lake Michigan and come play!

The second course looks really good and as an homage to CGC may have to get there soon.. I've heard good things about Arcadia Bluffs, like Whistling Straits but real, as opposed to completely manufactured.

That ferry is expensive! And the times are really messed up like 3am over to Michigan and 9pm back to Wisconsin.

Gives extra time for 36! :)
That ferry is expensive! And the times are really messed up like 3am over to Michigan and 9pm back to Wisconsin.

I want to play it as well but it’s on the wrong side of Lake Michigan. The American Club is about 5.5 hours and that’s far enough for me!

My dad played the south course this fall. Said its incredibly different obviously. Its a pure links course. Absolute huge amount of roll. Said that it was fun, but it was definitely a course you need to play a few times since they have pot bunkers in fairways etc. Also said it still needs to grow in a ton. Balls were taking huge bounces when they hit the greens.

Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course Review

Founded in 1999, Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course, in Arcadia, MI, is universally considered the top ranked public golf course in Michigan and among the top ranked in the country. With its 3,100 feet worth of shoreline on Lake Michigan, 50 sod-walled bunkers, and incredible amenities, it is no wonder it gets that much deserved designation.

This seaside Irish links style course is immaculate, sprawling across 245 acres of wind-swept real estate. The Nantucket style clubhouse sits atop the golf course, providing a fantastic view of nearly every hole from the deck. It is unlike anything else in the United States. And as evidence to this, one of the coolest things about this course is that on the hour, a bagpiper comes out and plays a traditional tune. A truly unique experience all around that only Arcadia Bluffs can offer.
Logistics of Arcadia Bluffs
The golf course is located just over an hour southwest of Traverse City and just under two and a half hours north of Grand Rapids. Although there is more than 1 way to get there from either of those areas, it is as secluded as it gets which is really the only negative about this golf course. Buddies trips are common though, with an ample amount of fantastic golf courses within driving distance and the location doesn’t seem to scare the plethora of patrons that attend each day that fill up full tee sheets.

Practice Area: B+

The practice areas at Arcadia Bluffs were very solid, consisting of a full length driving range, a fantastic short game area, and a well located practice green. A shuttle, if your cart is unavailable, will be more than happy to take you up the driveway to the warm-up area. The driving range had placards in the ground denoting distances to flags on greens and posts throughout the range as well as mobile boards up adjusting for that days tee location. Free range balls are included with the purchase of a round. The short game area is very well design with ample room to get a good taste of what the course has to offer with greenside bunkers and undulating putting surfaces. That being said, it is still relatively tame compared to what the course is actually like (LordByron modeling how high the lips are on the greenside bunkers above). The putting green is located within the circle drive in front of the clubhouse and we were recommended to practice putting on the short game area greens as opposed to that. We could see why as it had relatively little undulation and did not act like the greens on the course.

Course Conditions: A
Although this visit was made in early October, the course conditions were excellent. The greens rolled fast and true, but not as fast as what is seen during prime-season conditions. Tee boxes and fairways were in great shape and every bunker manicured. True to the links design, the usually long and lush fescue surrounding the course was knocked down late in the season, but during the summer it is a guaranteed lost ball penalty and a mess to deal with.

Layout: A+
This Warren Henderson and Rick Smith design on the shores of Lake Michigan is a flat out gem. Measuring 7,300 yards from the championship tees, 6,700 yards from the black tees, 6,250 yards from the white tees, and 5,100 yards from the forward tees, the course is playable for all skill levels and abilities. There are no forced carries that are of over 100 yards and everything is right in front of you on this design. Using the natural landscape, including natural sand bunkers and stadium-style hills, it is often difficult to see other holes from the one you are on. One particular hole, and probably the signature hole of the course is #12, a par 4 right on the edge of the bluffs on the shores of the lake, absolutely stunning.

It is recommended you take an extra ball up to this tee box. After your group takes their tee shots, turn 90* to the left and tee up a shot out into Lake Michigan and see how far you can get it. At approximately 200 feet above the level of the water and boats always out there, it is a truly unique experience.

Pace of Play: B
Typical pace of play at Arcadia Bluffs is 4 hours and 30 minutes. Our foursome on a pretty busy tee sheet of 120 players got around the course 20 minutes over pace. That being said didn’t have to wait for a group on a single tee box and never got pushed by anybody. It didn’t seem like we were slow either as we enjoyed the spectacular scenery and weather. Throughout the round we saw marshals and course staff, always greeting us warmly and staying out of our way.

Price: A-
Playing Arcadia Bluffs carries with it a premium price tag, but it is completely worth it in my opinion for a top tier public course in the entire United States. Between the superior conditions, customer service, and scenery on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, it really is a value at any time of the year. The 2015 rates were as follows:
DatesStandardTwilight** 4pm/6:30pmReplay
April 1st through May 10[SUP]th[/SUP]$75$75
May 11th through May 31[SUP]st[/SUP]$130$110/na$80*
June 1st through Sept 27th***$185$110/$50$80*
September 28th through October 11th$100$80
October 12th through October 29[SUP]th[/SUP]$75$75

Arcadia Bluffs also provides the opportunity to employ caddies for your pleasure. The prices are very competitive and, although I did not use one, have heard great things about them and how they improve the quality of a round. The 2015 rates were $50 per bag plus gratuity for a caddie, and forecaddie fees were $40 plus gratuity.

Amenities: A-
For on course options, there is a beverage cart during busy times that goes around the course. Additionally, there is a halfway house that offers freshly grilled hot dogs and a variety of other on-the-go foods for mid-round replenishment. Fully plumbed, private restrooms are also present around the course every few holes.

Off the course, Arcadia Bluffs offers a couple great amenities including two fantastic dining experiences and two different lodging options to stay-and-play golfers.

The Lodge at Arcadia Bluffs (bottom left) is located on the second level of the clubhouse. It features 15 guest rooms, each with a private walk-out porch that offer either a lake view or a sunrise view.
The Cottages at Arcadia Bluffs (top and bottom right) are located in the northeast portion of the property alongside the par 3 second hole. At 1,900 square foot including four bedrooms and baths, they offer great space and privacy for groups and afford for discounted rounds of golf. Breakfast is also included with the rental.
The Dining Room (top left) is open to the public and offers a more formal experience and great view of the course. With ample wine options and a great variety of the finest foods on the menu, it is great for men and women alike.
The Lakeview Room offers a more casual atmosphere than the dining room and a simpler menu. As the name suggests, it provides a full panoramic view of the course and Lake Michigan on an uncovered deck. It also includes a private lounge for small groups.

Overall Grade: A
Arcadia Bluffs is a flat out must play for fans of great golf with great scenery. While the location may be very isolated on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, it is that seclusion that makes it all the more special that a gem like this is located where it is. It is great for buddies trips with lodging and tons of other great golf within an hour or so from here.

[View of clubhouse from 18 during day and twilight hours]

Awesome review, thanks @tpluff. Loads of information!

Back