Arccos Caddie/360 Battery Replacement :)

JP_CO

Chamption of something...
Reaction score
Handicap
depends
As my caddie sensors are close to end of life (battery life), my goal was to replace the batteries on the sensors to get another 3 or 4 years out of them. Took a hand full of tries trying different methods, but I finally got them replaced and back to close as the originals as possible. I picked up a set of Lamkin grips to use instead of the black/green screw housing, so I wasn't too worried about completely destroying the housing. However, I managed to get the housing apart so I can reuse them if I decide to change back.

This was more to see if it could be done and done in a manner not cutting corners.

The biggest challenge was connecting the replacement batteries to the sensor. Tried conductive copper foil with adhesive, which did ok, but my concern was it coming off with repeated ball strikes. Ended up getting a cheap spot welder from amazon which did the job. Ended up spending a bit of $$$ getting all the supplies, but I'm supper happy with the results.

Why go though all this instead of ordering new/replacement sensors?
Outside of seeing if it could be done, my sensors are 2nd gen, which doesn't require a $100 yearly subscription. From my understanding, new and replacement sensors are identified by the firmware, which tells Arccos if it requires a subscription. Also, from what I've read, once you have a certain number of these new sensors mixed in with old sensors, it's going to require a subscription (not sure what that number is). So, assuming the sensor electronics are still good, I could continue to replace the batteries and continue to use these 'older' sensors indefinitely or until Arccos decides to make a change down the road.

Please remember, this was done at my own risk.

A lot of the tools used was stuff I already had.
A list of everything I purchased. The links below are more for reference of what I used. Got some items from ebay and some from amazon.

Mini Spot Welder

Mini Spot Welder mod instructions
After doing some research, there's a problem with the design/components which was easily fixed with a simple mod

Capacitor for the welder fix

Battery connector for the welder

Battery for the welder

29.5mm flat width PVC heat shrink

32mm flat width PVC heat shrink (This may be the ideal size to heat shrink the sensor)

45mm flat width PVC heat shrink

Maxell CR2032 battery

Last edited:
Thanks for this write up. Good to know it's possible (even if I would have to purchase all the tools.
A couple of questions if you don't mind.
"so, from what I've read, once you have a certain number of these new sensors mixed in with old sensors, it's going to require a subscription (not sure what that number is)"
Have you spoken to their support about this to confirm? (just curious) I think I'll be a little annoyed by a form of forced obsolescence into a sub because of a $2 battery!

I only got mine as 3rd gen were coming out about a year ago, so hopefully a good while of battery left yet. Funny enough, I have been doing putting practice in the basement daily and was wondering about battery use. I'm not sure if the app/caddie link need to be active to sensors to be active? But I have been unscrewing the sensor and placing it "face down" while I practice.

At the end when you saw that there was adhesive holding it together and it screws together in a way. Do you think you could unscrew them rather than pry them apart?

Haven't heard anything official from Arccos yet regarding the subscription. Have the question into them so we'll see what they say. More what I've come across on the old interweb.

As for the housing, the 2 halves are on there 'permanently' with some sort of epoxy bond. Tired to 'unscrew' at first, but I completely destroyed the screw part of the housing since that was the only part I could clamp on to. Although using pliers was probably not the smartest thing.

You can swap out the sensors in the grips. I had to replace my sensors last year.
They pop out if you use a tee. Arccos had a discount of 50% so it wasn't too bad and about half of replacing all the grips.

Funny enough, I have been doing putting practice in the basement daily and was wondering about battery use. I'm not sure if the app/caddie link need to be active to sensors to be active? But I have been unscrewing the sensor and placing it "face down" while I practice.

At the end when you saw that there was adhesive holding it together and it screws together in a way. Do you think you could unscrew them rather than pry them apart?
I think they "power up" based on movement and potentially light - they told me it was good practice to keep them still and in the dark during our cold Canadian winters - similar to what I do myself I guess :)
I did some surgery on some of my non-responsive sensors as well and the glue is strong enough (in my experiences) that a prying motion certainly helps in the cap removal.

I found the surgery to be relatively easy and I used a "compression approach" with shrink-wrap etc in the same way they were when I got them. So no welder issues here. The shrink wrap I used was a bit thick and added a few more grams to the weight - some folks already complain about the added weight so this restore strategy might not be for them. Next attempt I will find the ultra thin battery shrink wrap (very think plastic wrap, to bind the battery to the sensor module. I was also using shrink wrap to enclose the sensor in the top and bottom caps - actually was good looking since to covers up the green band on the sensor if you like a blacked out look :) But that was the problematic shrink wrap that was thicker and also added a few grams

I have a couple of sensors back in the housing and used a 45mm flat pvc heat shrink to hold everything together. It added a gram from 7 grams to 8.
d631dd1866109902ef993cbc2936fbf7.jpg
9c7d782050644d6ac84174480c84eb55.jpg
09bde0ff81ff24730869d346814b47a7.jpg

I have had arccos since Gen 1. Several of my I believe G2 died, so I looked at different options. If you have the previous models you can purchase replacement sensors by the each at I think it was 7.99 per (can't remember, think they were $14.99 and they gave you a $7 discount with a member code. I bought 13 and a putter grip for $120 with shipping and tax. Since the last set lasted almost 2 years figure that is still a way better deal than getting the subscription even at a discounted rate.

JP_CO,
For a casual player (10-ish rounds a year) and a latecomer to ARCCOS, an annual subscription isn't justifiable for the benefit.
But for a DIY tinkerer, this makes it totally worthwhile.
I just registered to the forum to convey my THANKS!!! 🏌️‍♂️ :thumb:🤘:guitar:
and appreciation for taking the time and effort to video these instructions!

Back