Are course in your area jacking the prices because more people are playing golf?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I watch prices closely In my area and notice that many courses are jacking the prices for a round big time, especially weekend prices and some simply are not worth it at all. I am guessing they jack the prices simply because they can. Even my local course has gone up slightly in price while it has crowds I have never imagined.

There are only a small percentage of courses in the area that have not jacked the prices. I have noticed price changes on average that go from 5-20 dollar increase per person for a round. For instance one course that charges around 59.00 went to 70.00 and another that charges around 64.00 went to 84.00. I am thinking why? - I suppose because they can as most are booked to capacity right now on the weekends.

I was thinking that during hard times such as covid courses would have lowered prices, but that is not the case at all around here. Only one muni 9 hole in a nearby town (well kept and with nice quality clean carts) actually lowered their price 3.00 a round due to covid hardships knowing that many are struggling with jobs, which the price was already dirt cheap at 28.00 for 18 holes with a cart, and now they charge 25.00 for 18 with a cart.

Golf is not the only industry to increase prices to take advantage of hard times. We see it all around. I guess it just "bugs" me (for lack of a better word) how some take advantage of hard times. Of course, no one has to play golf, but it is an opportunity to get others involved especially due to social distancing.

I don't like it when businesses do that to the consumer, yet I do realize they are trying to make the cha-ching while they can. I don't know what the answers are and there is always more to the story. I was mainly putting this out there to see what others are experiencing and what your thoughts are about it.

Over here they are not, at least not in my area. Usual cost of the round is £12 for adults and £5 for juniors, price is cheaper after 4pm

I have just joined a club with my lad due to the prices being lower at the moment

No

I'm in Virginia also. I play all over the greater Norfolk area. I can say that I have played about 12 different courses in the area as well as a few in Williamsburg area and not a one has increased prices. Volume of play is up but I have no problem showing up without a tee time and going out very soon and playing so the courses are not jammed. Alternatively I have spoken with three individuals who have invested in their passion [golf course] after having good careers in other businesses. None of them would suggest that decision was a prudent investment.

Yes, some substantially. Not just green fees either, beer prices are up 25%. Fortunately at my course I’m a member so greens fees cost me nothing other than my dues, which remain the same. Members also can book 30 days out. That said, they are busy. Thursday thru Sunday they are all like weekends, packed with few to no times available.
We just had our next phase of things opening yesterday so more people will be returning to work. However there is still not much available in the way of recreation. Golf and boating are the two things available in this area and both are very busy. I’m not a big fan of it being packed all the time, but it’s good for the game and the courses. Hopefully it also is good for equipment manufacturers. After having to shut down for months they need a injection of good times as well. I’ve talked to many golfers that are anxious for a fitting and new clubs. I believe many retailers are now allowed to open with restrictions, but at least they can begin generating some income.
Honestly with all the doom and gloom that was being projected about the country’s economy I think it’s a good thing. It’s good to see me people outside and enjoying the exercise of walking, me included. Consider it a self bail out for the courses and manufacturers.
I’ve also noticed, at my course, some really grumpy and pissy members. They have some sense of entitlement to the course and don’t want others there playing. Not sure how they think courses would survive without making up some of the lost revenue. Courses here still had operating expenses during those two months of closure. Course maintenance is not cheap and the cost of the equipment didn’t go away. I’m ok with it and I’m excited for the sport we love. With many businesses not surviving this pandemic it’s good to see some others thrive.

Mixed. Some have reduced and some have increased. Nothing crazy for the increased.

Only one course that's somewhat egregious with removing the cart fee from the list. Before was $45 with cart now it's over $50 with a cart. This one is more hidden and actually has an advertised price less than before but costs more money.

Eh a little, the course in play ik ng tomorrow I don't remember being that high.

If not jacking the price up, they're just not offering the same deal (golfnow) as last year, which is understandable, they lost a quarter of the uesr almost

I'm in Virginia also. I play all over the greater Norfolk area. I can say that I have played about 12 different courses in the area as well as a few in Williamsburg area and not a one has increased prices. Volume of play is up but I have no problem showing up without a tee time and going out very soon and playing so the courses are not jammed. Alternatively I have spoken with three individuals who have invested in their passion [golf course] after having good careers in other businesses. None of them would suggest that decision was a prudent investment.

I haven't played any where other than Eagle Haven@ Little Creek since coming back to the game, but my friends haven't mentioned any increases and they play all over Hampton Roads.

The club I play at tried to jack up the price for our non-member senior league members by almost 25%. Many of us have golf playing memberships, so league play is covered. We did not accept their "kind" offer, so there will be no Senior League this year.

None of the courses I frequent are charging more than they did pre-virus out break. At a few others, I think the cart rental might have gone up a little.

When I started get back out, I expected higher prices. I figured the courses had to make up for their lost revenue while closed down.

With over a 100 courses with in easy traveling distance of each other, green fee prices don't seem to change much around here.

Most of the courses by me have increased the price. I am taking it is due to the one cart, less tee times, restaurant not open and other items. Most of my courses that were 40 are now 50 and the courses that were 60 are 75.

I really hope the pricing will go back to pre 2020, but fear it will stay the same pricing once we are post Covid.

No. My home course is not ran be an åsshole.

Yes, golf is more expensive in my area. No that does not make our course owners buttholes. They are in business to make money, not to provide charity. They are super busy and if they can charge more and do less work for each $ good for them. No one gripes when your employer gives you a raise for doing the same job.

No. Same prices as before COVID-19.

Not here yet, still pretty cheap.

Yep. And I don’t mind it one bit. Some courses went over 2 months with zero revenue and if demand is there and people are willing to pay then so it. My ho,e course is getting $85-$100 for peak weekend tee times where they normally were $60-$75. For a lot of courses, the pricier tee times is the only way they were going to survive. As soon as demand dies off, the rates will go down.

Most haven't that I've noticed. The few that went up just went up a little, $5-10 tops maybe, nothing major. Both my primary courses are in that few though. It's averaging out to about $3 a round more at them this year than last. Don't know for sure if raise in fees is tied to them trying to recover lost revenue / extra costs due to virus or was in the plans for this year anyway? A lot of golf courses went under in the previous decade so I don't personally begrudge courses raising rates a little right now if the market supports it. Many suffered massive financial hits recently, not of their doing, and I'd hate to see even more golf specific business go out because the could never recover.

Last edited:
Most around here haven't really raised their rates, but they have done away with most of the regular discounts, so the same overall result. Most courses had regular discounts that were below their "published" rates, usually for mid-week afternoon play, now it's pretty much straight by the rate sheet, which for me has been a healthy increase, since I play most of my golf on weekday afternoons.

Not here. Last thing they want is to run people off.

Rates stayed the same, but then again our courses didn’t close.

I have not noticed any price jumps. In fact I see some great online deals.

One thing I've noticed in my area is that some courses that used to include the cart with the green fee. Now they are charging a separate fee for the cart. At the local course I played last Wednesday the green fee was $32 and then they were charging an extra $20 for the cart.

I have noticed that the walking rate is the same as the old riding rate (if not more) and if you want a cart there is an upcharge.

I get the upcharge for the carts as they need to cover the additional vehicles they need to lease to accommodate single occupancy, but I do not understand why prices aren't lowered for walkers.

Golf in my area is more expensive. I don’t know if it’s normal inflation or what, but it’s been the case at nearly every course I have played

Back