Are Remodels The Solution .....

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
So I came across an article about a course here in my home state of VA.

This course was about to go under when Davis Love III stepped in & saved it. He redesigned it & made it more of a practice facility, especially for young kids. But what he said in the article had me thinking ....

“This is the future of golf,” Davis Love said. “Anybody who comes here needs to see that you don’t have to play 18 holes and take four or five hours to play.”

So is this the solution to slow play? Redesigning or building golf courses with less than 18 holes? He designed this one with only 12 holes .... par 5's, par 3's. Would playing only 12 holes satisfy you? Or do you have to play all 18? In the essence of time, would you play just 9 holes like usual or "say, I've got time for a couple more ... let's play another 3 holes."

“Frankly, twelve is all the holes I need,” he said.

So what say you THP? Do you agree with DL3? Is this the future of golf? Myself, I don't say that it's the future of golf. I'd say it's a good idea. But when I make time to play golf, it's usually for all 18 holes. As I've gotten older I don't play 9 holes anymore. Mainly for the fact that I usually don't get warmed up until about the 8th hole, so ... :ROFLMAO:

It has been discussed before, but if I was building a golf course I would do 3 distinct 6 hole stretches. Can play 6, 12 or 18. (or more if you want). Would give more options for splitting up where players start and hopefully give better spacing so as not to have a lot of back ups. Would take more planning for the course, but hopefully that would be worth it.

Is it the solution to slow play? not a chance.

I haven't read the article yet. But I do like the notion that a few courses in a region are geared to more of a practice environment. I don't think this will solve "slow play". but creating an experience that is lets players get out on course and work on their game instead of chasing score or beating balls would be excellent. In that context a 12 hole "round" would be great. As it permits a shorter time commit especially before or after work sessions.

Great for practice. I'm not interested in 12 hole rounds. I don't even like playing just 9 for league.

It has been discussed before, but if I was building a golf course I would do 3 distinct 6 hole stretches. Can play 6, 12 or 18. (or more if you want). Would give more options for splitting up where players start and hopefully give better spacing so as not to have a lot of back ups. Would take more planning for the course, but hopefully that would be worth it.

Local Park District did the same thing to try to get more families out with tying up so much time.

I play a 9 hole course a lot and we switch the tees up second time around. But not sure 12 holes does it for me. Just seems weird I guess. If you just need to work on a few things than maybe.

You're exactly right. The only thing this does is give people who only have a couple hours an opportunity to play despite slow play. That's a good end in it's own right, but it doesn't fix slow golfers.

Personally I live right on my home course and I play 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, whatever amount of holes I have time for all the time. It allows me to golf nearly every day because I don't have to carve out 5 hours.

In my opinion rounds should be 9 holes or 18 holes. I do love the idea of more courses geared towards practice though. Take out a few holes and invest in a quality practice area. Use the remaining holes for a practice course. I think there is a drastic need for better practice facilities in golf and I think people would pay. On the flip side, maintaining a quality public practice facility would not be the easiest of things to do

Honestly, I love it. I like the idea of 12 holes as opposed to 18. For the recreational golfer it makes sense. For the junior, it gives them the opportunity to learn the game and not get gassed those last 6 holes. I would like to see an 18 hole format to replay 6 from a different tee box. Maybe play some of the 5's as a 4 from the forward tee for those that want/need the 18 hole experience.

But ya, I love the idea with the facility. If my boys pick up the game, we might have to make the trip like the gentleman from Greenville as we're only a little over an hour east of him.

Ooh! I LOVE when people decide what's best for me and everyone else. And to say so with such authority! The definitive answer. THIS. IS. THE. FUTURE. OF. GOLF.
^^^^^
The above is sarcasm.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:rolleyes:Whatever DL3. It may be your idea of the future of golf but... not mine. The idea of playing 12 holes doesn't appeal to me... I've been conditioned to expect 18 holes of golf. I want to play 18 holes of golf, not 15, or 7, or even 9. 18.:ROFLMAO: Unless 12 holes is cheap. Then I might change my mind:unsure::ROFLMAO:

I like the idea of 3, 6 hole stretches. I've read this idea about before.

My home course has discussed the 3/6 idea, but a remodel would be too expensive.

As far as fix for slow play, it would help, but wouldn't be a 100% cure all. Faster players will always run into slower players, regardless of how many holes are involved.

I know I am not in the majority but I would rather play 27 or 36 vs. 9-12.

I currently dislike playing 9 holes, so I can't imagine 12 would satisfy.

Eh.....

I’d prefer to see more par 3 courses. Loved Cane Patch in Myrtle Beach. Grab a wedge and putter, have fun.

Or we could get golfers to pick it up and play a reasonable 18 holes in 2.5 to 3.5 hours like it happens all the time at private clubs.

Back