Are single seat carts/vehicles the future for golf now?

I certainly hope this is not the "new normal" for very long. Unfortunately, I remember 9/11. The changes were supposed to be temporary, but they were permanent.

Regarding carts and scooters, drunk golfers are safer in 4 wheel carts than scooters.

I feel like this is a strong point, and one not to be overlooked.

Not sure if this would be true, but my gut feeling is you would have way more accidents and breakage from those scooters. I can see people trying to race around and hitting things or each other more often. I have also played on courses that you had to be careful with carts due to a downhill or tight turns. I could see people going over the edge or tipping over easily.

This, of course, could change as people got used to driving a scooter. But, there would be a learning curve that would be a bit more costly.

It's been quite a while since I've been on a 2 wheeled vehicle I'd be fearful of my safety... especially considering if my bag's on there as well but I'm sure someone thought of that and the bag tiedowns are designed not to allow it to shift around. I'd give it a shot. Why not?

With everything going on with that thing that won't be named - most courses are having to go 1 per cart, or no carts all together. I'd have to think if they have to order more carts to compensate, or drive up the costs of carts in general to deter people from even wanting them, that it could hurt business and round times.

So - with that, are 1 person carts and things such as those golf cart scooters the way of the future, and being forced into quicker acceptance now?

If that is the case, are you for it or against it and why? One per cart/scooter to me seems like it could drastically increase play times.

When we as a society go through major events, the talk and emotional atmosphere is that things are forever changed. Some things do change, but life always returns in most ways to normal. It will with this. Human beings will not permanently live social distancing.

There are just too many reasons to not go for single seat carts
  1. If your course is hilly, forget it, they don't work with a damn
  2. There is too much liability. Even if you do sign a waiver before the round.
  3. More accidents with golfers that just can't control them. Get a few :drinks: in them ... keep 911 on speed dial
  4. Yes you might finish the round faster but is it really worth it?
  5. Golf courses would probably have to charge more
Unfortunately most courses in my area don't have enough carts to allow for just single riders in every cart. Only time will tell :unsure:
Eventually they'll put a plastic shield in the middle of the cart and continue to rent two in a cart . That and a plastic windshield will become the norm versus replacing all the carts.

That may work... a plastic divider...

The plastic dividers will make the players feel better If nothing else. Plastic windshields and players exiting at different times......that and signing a non-liability waiver of course.…Let's not forget that this is a perfect opportunity for Tommy (two glove) Gainey to sell his two glove package.

I played a course a month ago, they had scooters with fat tires. Pretty cool. That said I don’t think so. Things will get back to somewhat normal in time. Perhaps when a vaccine is found.

I can't imagine the retired crowd enjoying the scooters or golfboards, so I agree - they won't become the norm (or at least, the only option).

More and more scooter pics from Ohio courses.

Eventually they'll put a plastic shield in the middle of the cart and continue to rent two in a cart . That and a plastic windshield will become the norm versus replacing all the carts.
I can't see the plastic barriers between golfers becoming a permanent thing. Maybe a temporary fix until all the hysteria dies down, but not the new norm.

This just came across this in my FB feed. Since these scooters could/should be the future. @JB. This lets me give a shout out to the first course I ever played. and played almost exclusively until my senior year in high school. Eagle Creek in Norwalk, Ohio. I wonder how the fleet is doing now?

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
just saw this on ESPN

just saw this on ESPN

Interesting article.

I disagree with the less liability part "single riders are more engaged" and not drinking 12 beers part. I don't disagree with the more engaged, but the likelihood of an accident or injury while driving a scooter is far greater than a golf cart. I can easily write a golf cart to home policy and the cost is virtually zero per year. You try to write one of those scooters and you are talking a whole different policy and expense. I would expect the golf course would face something very similar.

I agree 100% with the increase in the speed of play. However, will individuals that are used to paying 60 per round (cart included) be ok with the new automatic rate of 75 with a scooter? As a commodity, I could see a few in many courses house. Sure, they would be really cool to try once. I just don't think many would be willing to use every round with the extra cost.

Then throw in the beer comment. I am not a drinker at all. But, I know many that will buy at least a few from the cart person or at the turn. I have to think the scooters will affect liquor sales on the course. It is not easy to drive one of the scooters around with a drink in hand versus the cart which is incredibly easy.

I think the courses would have to gain in many areas like less course management expenses, more tee times booked, more money per round, versus the loss in insurance costs, more possible lawsuits from accidents (I am sure a waiver is going to be signed, but you still have to hire an attorney to fight any case. That has a cost), loss of revenue from liquor sales, and such.

While I love the one person per cart idea, I would not be one that would be the target golfer looking to drive a scooter each round. As a novelty, sure I would definitely try it on a vacation course or once just to see it. Long term, I wouldn't be a big believer.

I wonder how many local courses (not vacation type places like Hawaii) have made the switch and feel the benefits outweigh the cons. It would be interesting to see if the pandemic changes things going forward for the local course.

Interesting article.

I disagree with the less liability part "single riders are more engaged" and not drinking 12 beers part. I don't disagree with the more engaged, but the likelihood of an accident or injury while driving a scooter is far greater than a golf cart. I can easily write a golf cart to home policy and the cost is virtually zero per year. You try to write one of those scooters and you are talking a whole different policy and expense. I would expect the golf course would face something very similar.

I agree 100% with the increase in the speed of play. However, will individuals that are used to paying 60 per round (cart included) be ok with the new automatic rate of 75 with a scooter? As a commodity, I could see a few in many courses house. Sure, they would be really cool to try once. I just don't think many would be willing to use every round with the extra cost.

Then throw in the beer comment. I am not a drinker at all. But, I know many that will buy at least a few from the cart person or at the turn. I have to think the scooters will affect liquor sales on the course. It is not easy to drive one of the scooters around with a drink in hand versus the cart which is incredibly easy.

I think the courses would have to gain in many areas like less course management expenses, more tee times booked, more money per round, versus the loss in insurance costs, more possible lawsuits from accidents (I am sure a waiver is going to be signed, but you still have to hire an attorney to fight any case. That has a cost), loss of revenue from liquor sales, and such.

While I love the one person per cart idea, I would not be one that would be the target golfer looking to drive a scooter each round. As a novelty, sure I would definitely try it on a vacation course or once just to see it. Long term, I wouldn't be a big believer.

I wonder how many local courses (not vacation type places like Hawaii) have made the switch and feel the benefits outweigh the cons. It would be interesting to see if the pandemic changes things going forward for the local course.

I can't speak to much of that, but my hunch is that the cost to play a round of golf is going to continue to rise, whether we are talking single/double cart usage/walking. My home course I know has increased cost per round with the required cleaning procedures and have severely limited the revenue they had coming in from the range as well as food/beverage services plus wedding and other events done at the facility. They aren't raising rates now because they don't want to scare off patrons, but those hits plus being closed for 2 months with no revenue generated means they will have to at some point.

I know most think golf is too expensive already, but like a lot of industries things will change, just tough to predict what those changes will end up being.

Double riders are now allowed at my course again. Some are going back to double and some are still taking single carts (single is still an option for those that don’t want to do double).

This whole COVID situation at the courses has reminded me how much I love walking the golf course. When riding in a cart, I feel like I get lost in the "hit ball, ride to ball, hit ball." When walking, I get to enjoy the walk, landscape, environment, and quietness. I think my past few rounds walking have been some of the most enjoyable rounds I've played in years (keep in mind I haven't walked a course in years).

I didn't read all the replies, so my apologies for repeating any of the same stuff.

I think in the short term, future things will get back to the normal two persons per car scenario. It's just to cost effective not to.

Now long term, as the current fleet of two seat golf carts become to costly to maintain, courses could very easily gravitate to something smaller that would be single rider specific .

I say this for a few reasons. First being courses are seeing a positive pace of play effect right now. Single riders in a group seem to be playing faster rounds of golf. This is a workable answer to the current, hot button, slow play issue.

Secondly, a smaller cart, that is lower in up front costs, and future maintenance requirements will be very cost effective for courses.

Smaller would also have a positive effect on storage capacities.

Something that has fewer batteries/moving parts to maintain. Maybe something that is solar assisted for charging purposes.

Something smaller that is more cost effective, while still offering adequate safety parameters for all age users. (I'm too old for "golf" skate boards)

Riding equipment, like everything else in golf will evolve into something more cost effective for courses.

Our course went to two per cart on June 1st.

Just happened to come across this, single rider carts at True Blue
0FAAD553-3575-4B16-A040-4803C9F7C017.jpeg

I like the idea of single seat carts, but I don't think they will replace the two seaters.

They are not cost effective for the course as far as the initial purchase.

Plus there's the storage factor. For every two seater replaced, the course would need room and charging bays for two single seaters.

Our course has four of those single seat scooters. Very seldom do they rent out all four during the day.

Back