Are single seat carts/vehicles the future for golf now?

Not walkable because they don't allow it or because of terrain? I can see some course where they didn't allow walkers before to have it in the future.
There are courses I prefer not to walk just because of the length.
Several of the courses near me wouldn't be considered walkable either because of long distances between holes (courses not originally designed for walking), or pretty severe elevation changes. A young guy in good shape would be able to do it, but older golfers would be SOL. Also, not walkable from about now through October because it's 100+ degrees every day (110+ a lot of days through most of June, July, August and early September).

Single person carts means that much more work for the golf course. I don’t think it is going to be the thing going forward.

With everything going on with that thing that won't be named - most courses are having to go 1 per cart, or no carts all together. I'd have to think if they have to order more carts to compensate, or drive up the costs of carts in general to deter people from even wanting them, that it could hurt business and round times.

So - with that, are 1 person carts and things such as those golf cart scooters the way of the future, and being forced into quicker acceptance now?

If that is the case, are you for it or against it and why? One per cart/scooter to me seems like it could drastically increase play times.

I don’t think you’ll see faster rounds with single riders, it certainly hasn’t happened at my course or any others I’ve spoken to.
No carts altogether though, people will adapt and things will feel faster whether they are or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If/When you guys end up on a course where everyone is assigned a golf cart you will see just how wonderful it is....in many different ways.
Agree with you Nate... Obviously we'll be doing this tomorrow, and I've done it at a couple other courses too. Speed of play improved between the tee and 2nd shot since everyone goes to their ball (or the green).

The other minor advantages were personal space oriented - music, smoker/non-smoker, phone calls, and most relevant for the times, the germ/virus issue.

I definitely see a change to the cart model on the horizon. It'll be a conform to the new norm or get left behind. Coronaviruses are not going away, so we'll have this issue again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

One per cart has made our rounds faster - at least in the sense of "our" being the group I normally play with. We get around the course pretty quickly anyway, but everybody being able to go directly to their own ball does make the round faster. I can pull up, shoot my distance, pull a club and be ready to go by the time another guy hits, then the next guy is ready to go as soon as my ball is in the air.

Slow golfers are going to be slow golfers no matter what you do, but for people who are conscious of pace of play and know how to properly use them, single rider carts can definitely speed the game up.

I don't think it will last after this current situation passes because it doesn't make financial sense for courses to have to buy, charge, maintain and store twice as many carts.

I think single carts gets rid of some waiting to hit and forces the player to be ready when they go to their ball. No more stories about last time you were at that distance and hit a spectacular shot. Sometimes this is sad others a relief

I am a huge fan of the one cart per player setup. I have done it three times now and it’s been great every time. I love the extra space and the faster pace of play. I think it also gets the slower players to hurry up a bit when everyone else just drives away from them. The only downside I have seen is the increased maintenance and cleaning costs, and the increased tire marks on the fairways.

I hope so. It definitely affects pace of play in a positive manner.

Regarding carts and scooters, drunk golfers are safer in 4 wheel carts than scooters.

I dont think so, even though I wish it would become the norm. As someone who often shows up as a single and plays with randoms, I personally dont want to ride in a cart for 4 hours with someone who I dont know.
Id love to see those golf scooters become the norm or at least become an option. Partly its because Id love to own a motorcycle but my wife is paranoid that Im going to die on one and being able to tear around on a golf course on a golf scooter would be fun. Partly because it would be a way to speed up rounds a bit without requiring me to ride in a cart with another person. Part of it also would be because it would allow us to maintain social distancing but not force us to walk.
Id even be willing to give one of those golf boards a try, even though I think Id prefer the scooter.
For those who say that the scooters would never work because they would be too unsafe and drunk people would crash on them, what do you think happens with carts now? It seems like almost every day I see some video on Youtube about a bunch of drunk idiots running over their buddies with their cart, jumping bunkers or tipping them over. When you give someone a motorized vehicle that isnt their own and that they dont care if they tear up, odds are they will act like idiots on them.
For those who say that the scooters dont have enough power for hilly course and that if you made them more powerful, they would be unsafe on flat course; like someone else said, you could put a governor on them to limit their speed. It would actually be a really simple fix.
Im actually totally fine with walking and I think that in the future, even when 2-person carts are allowed again, if I cant ride in a cart by myself I will probably walk. Ive had quite a few rounds during this time of COVID when I walked and the other 3 people in my group were in carts and I was able to keep up with them just fine. However, if you give me an option of a golf scooter or a golf board; Id be up for that too.

Our course allows 2 people in a cart if it’s family. But most of the time I’m seeing groups with 4 carts out in them. I know my neighbor told me with 4 carts they finished 18 holes in about 2.5 hours for their 4some. Our course is also encouraging walking (it’s elevated but walkable), and that’s what I’ve been doing. The course also just added 10 more carts to the fleet to help them get tee times closer together and people
not have to wait for carts to come in and be cleaned. It will be interesting to see if they are single rider carts or not.

With everything going on with that thing that won't be named - most courses are having to go 1 per cart, or no carts all together. I'd have to think if they have to order more carts to compensate, or drive up the costs of carts in general to deter people from even wanting them, that it could hurt business and round times.

So - with that, are 1 person carts and things such as those golf cart scooters the way of the future, and being forced into quicker acceptance now?

If that is the case, are you for it or against it and why? One per cart/scooter to me seems like it could drastically increase play times.
No I doubt it

No I doubt it

It already has proven to increase play times at my course. 4 carts, and rounds are faster according to the members I’ve talked too.

I have thought for a while that the finn cycle or the golf board were good options going forward and also possibly to enhance pace of play. With the current circumstances, I think that speeds up the time line.

Seems they are easier on the course and probably a good option for courses to make more revenue in the long term despite likely a higher initial investment upfront.

I too thought about the FinnScooters after I saw JB's post, but don't think they would be welcomed here in Vegas if you owned one. Las Vegas National had the golf boards for rent but not sure if they are still using them. I agree that if allowed, it would speed up the game.

As far as the new norm for golfing, I think that once a vaccine or this pandemic is over, people will ease back to the way it used to be. Give it time, things will be back to normal.

I too thought about the FinnScooters after I saw JB's post, but don't think they would be welcomed here in Vegas if you owned one. Las Vegas National had the golf boards for rent but not sure if they are still using them. I agree that if allowed, it would speed up the game.

As far as the new norm for golfing, I think that once a vaccine or this pandemic is over, people will ease back to the way it used to be. Give it time, things will be back to normal.
One of our local courses has the golf boards. I don't play there that often and haven't tried one yet, but they look fun and would be good for social distancing.

[ETA:] I think you're probably right that courses which don't use/rent them probably wouldn't welcome personally owned ones if you showed up with it.

Last edited:
Not as enjoyable though
Why not? Because the pace is too fast?

I, for one, would enjoy a brisk pace. My wife would appreciate it as well.

Not as enjoyable though

When you said “I doubt it” I thought you meant you doubt it would be faster. Which overall, it has at my course, at least.

Enjoyable is really everyone’s own perspective, so I can’t argue you there. For me, I personally would enjoy it more, just b/c I can’t stand slow play. I also think you’d have some time to still talk to you’re playing partner (tee, greens, fairway if you can both hit it, lol).

I enjoy the conversing with your playing partner.
I do with some people...there are others with who I would gladly take 'social distancing' to the furthest extreme possible! :LOL:

Playing with my usual group - all good, enjoy conversation with all of them. If I was playing a lot with randos, I'd choose the single option whenever possible. If it turned out that it was enjoyable company we could always drive side by side and chat as we make our way around the course - but if not, it would be easy enough to keep a distance and tune them out.

One of our local courses has the golf boards. I don't play there that often and haven't tried one yet, but they look fun and would be good for social distancing.

[ETA:] I think you're probably right that courses which don't use/rent them probably wouldn't welcome personally owned ones if you showed up with it.

Obviously, within most golfing communities, I'm sure the same in AZ, you can use your own golf cart, so maybe they may allow the Finn Scooters. Again, it's mainly for the golf communities than other courses. I'm sure if I had one they wouldn't allow me to play TPC Las Vegas with one but maybe The Revere Concord.

Screenshot_20200509-134751.jpg

Serious coin to turnover an entire double cart fleet.

The downside of single person per cart is being able to chat it up with your buddies. If you walk, you have plenty of time to catch up and shoot the breeze. If you double up, you get to talk to your cart partner a bunch. When we have done 1 per cart, I finished the round and felt like I hardly got to talk to my buddies. Not the end of the world and I love the pace

To answer the original question, in the short term, yes. In the long term, no.

View attachment 8942075

Serious coin to turnover an entire double cart fleet.

Except it doesnt cost that for a club to add a fleet.
I mentioned it multiple times now, but there are many ways to add Finn to the lineup. Low cost up front with points per round works for most courses, especially those that lease carts.

Back