Are the wedges that come with your iron set as good as an outside club maker?

Pirate95

Let it snow......
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.6
I'm in the process of deciding on picking up a new set of irons.I want to know if the PW,GW,SW and LW of a given set are just as good as individual wedges.I'd rather not order a set with the wedges if I'm gonna want to change them to say CG14's later on.I've heard it's better to just order through the PW then pick up the rest to your liking.Is there a rule of thumb here?

I think you'd have to research what lofts and bounce angles are in the wedges that complete your set.If you're happy with those figures than there's nothing wrong with having the wedges that are the same as the rest of the irons.It's all about personal preferance anyway.You could just get the set up to pitching wedge and get other wedges as your heart desires too.Either way it's about you and your pros recommendations.

Thats a good question. Both my sets are matched (different model sets) all the way to the LW. I just feel more comfortable with them all being the same model, grip, and shaft. That said I am pretty sure there are some different wedges out there that are as good, or better than wedges I play. Could I play better with them? I don't know, but really doubt it, because I play a quality set of irons to begin with. I have some different wedge brands that I use from time to time, but I don't see any positive difference when I use them. I think if you have a quality set of irons, with matching wedges, any quality wedge is going to play just as well for the individual golfer. Lower handicapper, I would think, could take advantage of a mix/matched set of irons, and wedges.

Hola

Hola

I usually buy my wedges separate from the iron set. I like the Cleveland wedges, I just match the the loft degree difference that the iron set comes with.
Like my set came with a #9 with 44* and a PW with a 48*, so I got my GW 52* and my SW 56*. In my case that works to be a 10 yards distance difference between all these clubs.

If you're handicap is 31 you might be better off with less is more when it comes to wedges.That's just my 2 cents.

Thats a good question. Both my sets are matched (different model sets) all the way to the LW. I just feel more comfortable with them all being the same model, grip, and shaft. That said I am pretty sure there are some different wedges out there that are as good, or better than wedges I play. Could I play better with them? I don't know, but really doubt it, because I play a quality set of irons to begin with. I have some different wedge brands that I use from time to time, but I don't see any positive difference when I use them. I think if you have a quality set of irons, with matching wedges, any quality wedge is going to play just as well for the individual golfer. Lower handicapper, I would think, could take advantage of a mix/matched set of irons, and wedges.

Good point...I'm a high handicap looking for GI iron set.It didn't cross my mind that I could benefit from the forgiveness of my iron set in my wedges.That makes total sense to me.

The decision for me is based on what I want to do with them. I like having my PW match my regular set (if I could get a GW also I would). When I think of a PW, I think of a club that I will hit with a full swing from the fairway. I want that club to be as close as I can get to the other clubs (4-9) that I hit from the fariway. I don't need it to do anything else. The other wedges (SW,LW), I need them to hit balls out of bunkers and around the greens. Sure I will hit them out of the fairway, but it is more important that they be versatile for other shots. In my experience, a SW and LW that come with a regular set of irons, tend to not be as versatile. It has been several years since I played with them, but back when I did that is what I thought. They might be better now.

To put it in a simple term, if you don't know which you should get, it probably won't matter. If you are just starting out it might be good to get clubs that match so you can learn and improve with the same things. As you improve you can try different 'aftermarket' wedges and see if anything performs better for you. A Vokey or CG 15 isn't a magic club, they are just a little more versatile and can sometimes add a little something more to your game...once you know how to use them.

To your original question, are they good clubs? There isn't anything wrong with them at all. Many players have found they can do a little more with the specialty wedges.

If you're handicap is 31 you might be better off with less is more when it comes to wedges.That's just my 2 cents.

+1 Jeffann

I think that if you are not playing to at least a 10-12 handicap that having more than a gap wedge and a sand wedge is probably just hurting your game. Leaving shots the right distance out on your approach is a lot better option than trying to learn to hit every shot from everywhere. I change out my wedges depending on where I am playing but my best round ever was played with a set that went from 47* PW to a 54* SW to a 60* LW.

I think that if you are not playing to at least a 10-12 handicap that having more than a gap wedge and a sand wedge is probably just hurting your game. QUOTE]

I dont completly agree with that. I am around a 14, and my short game is my strong point. I carry 4 wedges, pw, gw, sw, and lw, and feel the different shots I can hit help my game. I loose more strokes because of lack of distance off the tee and long clubs.

I think you should go with what you have the most confidence in. Golf is a mind game, and if you get a good feeling from a club, it helps a ton!

Oh, and my PW matches my irons, and the 3 others all all different. haha. mostly from being on a budget, and taking a deal when I can get it.

i currently have matched SW and LW, but have ordered some CG15's to try. whether i keep them in the bag is another thing.
i think, like provisional, i like having them matched with grip, wedge and looks. no surprises when i use them. distance and loft are in line with the rest of the set.

I think that if you are not playing to at least a 10-12 handicap that having more than a gap wedge and a sand wedge is probably just hurting your game. QUOTE]

I dont completly agree with that. I am around a 14, and my short game is my strong point. I carry 4 wedges, pw, gw, sw, and lw, and feel the different shots I can hit help my game. I loose more strokes because of lack of distance off the tee and long clubs.

I think you should go with what you have the most confidence in. Golf is a mind game, and if you get a good feeling from a club, it helps a ton!

Oh, and my PW matches my irons, and the 3 others all all different. haha. mostly from being on a budget, and taking a deal when I can get it.

Look at it this way, it could just help your game significantly to have another long club to help fill gaps at the long end of your set than to have another short club. If you have good feel and control with a wedge you can easily hit half shots and 3/4 shots and take advantage of that skill. If you added an extra long club you would put less pressure on yourself when hitting some of those longer shots. Who says you have to carry only one driver just for example or it may be that a 7 wood or even a 5 wood would help with those longer shots. Or add another hybrid to the set. My thinking is that if you can hit a 6 iron 190 yards like Phil does then carry 4 or 5 wedges, if you are hitting a 3W 190 yards then having a lower lofted 3W to give you another 10 yards or a hybrid 17* or maybe a 16* driver or other long club that would give you more distance and control over the long shots has got to help. Just a thought.

Look at it this way, it could just help your game significantly to have another long club to help fill gaps at the long end of your set than to have another short club. If you have good feel and control with a wedge you can easily hit half shots and 3/4 shots and take advantage of that skill. If you added an extra long club you would put less pressure on yourself when hitting some of those longer shots. Who says you have to carry only one driver just for example or it may be that a 7 wood or even a 5 wood would help with those longer shots. Or add another hybrid to the set. My thinking is that if you can hit a 6 iron 190 yards like Phil does then carry 4 or 5 wedges, if you are hitting a 3W 190 yards then having a lower lofted 3W to give you another 10 yards or a hybrid 17* or maybe a 16* driver or other long club that would give you more distance and control over the long shots has got to help. Just a thought.

That is my experiance. A PW and a SW are really all I am going to need in short irons. With the Niblick in the bag my PW will be on the shelf now. I get way more use and benifit out of having the 7 wood and hybrid options.

Seems like going from G10 irons, which have very wide soles in the wedges, to CG12s would is a difficult transition. I play Cobra SIIs, and couldn't effectively play a 58* CG12 that I tried. Especially on full swings, I think set-matched GI wedges are probably easier to handle. Niblicks, on the other hand, are a different story (and a different thread). You might want to give those a try. :)

Seems like going from G10 irons, which have very wide soles in the wedges, to CG12s would is a difficult transition. I play Cobra SIIs, and couldn't effectively play a 58* CG12 that I tried. Especially on full swings, I think set-matched GI wedges are probably easier to handle. Niblicks, on the other hand, are a different story (and a different thread). You might want to give those a try. :)

Do you think a 49*Niblick will go as far as a 50* wedge? On a full swing.

Just about -- there is no meaningful difference in distance between my 49*GW and 49*Niblick.

Just about -- there is no meaningful difference in distance between my 49*GW and 49*Niblick.

Do you like the Niblick,is it as advertised?

Hey 2left...meet me on the Niblick thread,I'm the last post after you.

For my game, this is not really the case. I am only on the green in high percentage from 145 (8iron) and in. An extra long club does not help me raise the average from outside this distance. I have tried an additional hybrid and a 7 wood. But nothing seems to make up for extra distance control closer to the green. Again, for my game only.

As I continue to get better, the case may change...

Back